Front end rattle on rough roads - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By whatnext

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Front end rattle on rough roads

How long should I expect superpro LCA and RR's to last? I installed these as well as struts, springs and whiteline bushing/bearings about 60K miles ago. swaybar end links were just 10k miles ago.

Suspension bits seem tight so I'm not sure what this is, but I'd suspect the control arms, or strut bushing first. Both of these parts have poly bushings so it would most likely be the ball joint on the control arms.

A secondary thought is that the noise is coming from the worn caliper bracket to caliper pin interface. Seems like a stretch though.

Any pointers on a good way to inspect this specific issue would be awesome.

Thanks.

09 G8GT - VCM OTR, OBX LT, HPT, Koni/Eibach/whiteline, BMR subframe inserts, SuperPro C.A. & R.R., Centric Rotors/Bobcats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 10:30 AM

https://www.bitchute.com/video/Zmm70DnWSw7F/

my whole car rattles on rough roads; Michigan roads destroyed the suspension. The weird thing is that my g8 suspension doesn't make any noise when it's raining out... even when the windows are down, so it's probably a lubrication issue in my case. I'm just posting here because mine is rattling as well, actually mine is more of a clank and rattle.

I haven't had the time to do a full suspension inspection. When you figure it out, I'm curious.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 10:38 AM

this is probably the best way to figure out what's wrong:

https://www.g8board.com/forums/7-sus...uspension.html

if it's none of that... try tapping lightly in certain areas and see if you can find something else rattling like a body panel or brake component

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 10:55 AM

Check the rotor dust covers.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 11:29 AM

Garage
The most common troubleshooting step that I recommend first is to go over such bumps while pressing the brake pedal slightly enough to steady the pads. That gets rid of the wiggle room that the clips will allow over time.

It might already be noted in the other links, but I find this to be a very commonly posted complaint.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Check the rotor dust covers.

if they are rattling... what's the fix?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
The most common troubleshooting step that I recommend first is to go over such bumps while pressing the brake pedal slightly enough to steady the pads. That gets rid of the wiggle room that the clips will allow over time.

It might already be noted in the other links, but I find this to be a very commonly posted complaint.
Interesting about the slight braking,I do notice the noise is less but not necessarily eliminated. So this just meant the clips are worn and need to be replaced? Ill have to take a look at this.

09 G8GT - VCM OTR, OBX LT, HPT, Koni/Eibach/whiteline, BMR subframe inserts, SuperPro C.A. & R.R., Centric Rotors/Bobcats
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexagod View Post
if they are rattling... what's the fix?
Havenít had to deal with this myself but tighten the bolts, or add washers and tighten the bolts. If the dust covers are contacting something, bend them out of the way.
hexagod likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:16 PM

My BMR end links did not last a year. I had the adjustable first generation. Ball joint gave out. I'm betting everything is tight and a joint is the culprit.

2009 G8 GT (FAST4DR) SRM 20% Tint, spyder fronts and tails, 8000K HID headlights and fogs, Borla Cat Back, 1/4 mile 13.57 @ G8 Gone 2013 stock tires. Since added Vararam CAI, 93 octane vararam Cortex tune, SLP longtubes, high flow cats, Mustang dyno 341 rwhp and 351 torque. Suspension: Tein Springs, PPV (2011 Police) shocks and struts, Super Pro: radius rods, spring seats, Blue Polylast front strut mounts. Mevotech lower control arms, BMR: cradle inserts, trailing arms, and toe rods.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

So this noise has been annoying me so I had a local repair shop take a look at the suspension and they are telling me the control arms and radius rods need to be replaced. Bummer. I replaced both these parts with superpro stuff a few years ago, and was hoping I wouldn't have to make this repair again. Anyone go through a warranty claim with superpro?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 06:20 PM

Is the ball joint bad or the bushing? According to the website, ball joints are covered for 3 years or 60,000 km https://www.superpro.com.au/warranty
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 09:07 PM
Slowly gaining acceptance

Or you could do what I did and install greaseable sway bar links, forget to grease them, then drive around wondering why my front end is still rattling...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Of course my luck... The control arms were installed close to 3 years ago and about 50,000 miles ago. The ball joints are the issue I was told. I had no idea the ball joint had a limited warranty on it.. I was hoping to get the parts replaced, but I'm still trying to get in touch with BMR.

I have sway bar bushings which I intend to install soon. I was hoping this would fix the problem. Ill start with this but I foresee installing control arms ...again. The noise sounds so much like a ball joint/strut to me. Ill be sure to check end-links and use some grease

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Site Sponsor

^^^

It was probably you that I emailed this morning

T.C. Davis

BMR G8, 5th Gen Camaro & Early Muscle Car Tech
Feel free to E-mail me with your questions
www.bmrsuspension.com
Like us on Facebook!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to follow up on this thread to conclusion. I could not get Superpro to warranty or help in anyway on my controls arms. I just bought new greasable mevotechs from rock auto and installed back in the middle of November. This fixed the problem so the ball joints in the control arms were toast. The mevotechs so far have been great (especially for the price), and rock auto was awesome and fast.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMpowered View Post
Just wanted to follow up on this thread to conclusion. I could not get Superpro to warranty or help in anyway on my controls arms. I just bought new greasable mevotechs from rock auto and installed back in the middle of November. This fixed the problem so the ball joints in the control arms were toast. The mevotechs so far have been great (especially for the price), and rock auto was awesome and fast.
Well that's not a good thing. Especially considering how much the arms cost.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:30 PM

I've Just changed the shocks on my car, together with the upper bushings and bearings on the front struts, and the rattling stopped. The mechanic said that these bearings were falling apart. So it might be something similar in your case.

I try to avoid the poly bushings nowadays. The major problem with the polyurethane is that it compresses under the repeated loads, and everything gets loose. On my race car I was changing all the ploy bushings every year (not that much mileage in ~ 10 race days per year but definitely higher loads, and a long time time spent under these higher loads). Rubber has a much, much better longevity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page