Bmr super pro radius rod and control arm install question - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Bmr super pro radius rod and control arm install question

I am in the process of installing control arms and radius rods on my 09 and cannot get them to tighten. The bolts will tighten but the brackets on the frame aren’t compressing and the arms won’t tighten. They just fall/swing down.
Has anyone else ran into this issue? The problem is on both front control arms and both radius rods.
Essentially the metal sleeve in the super pro bushing doesn’t seem big enough.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Never mind. Just looked and realized that the metal sleeve spins inside the bushing, so it is unlike the other 100+ control arms I have installed that tighten at ride height and then pull down to load the suspension. These just “fall” down, because the bushing spins in the sleeve. That doesn’t seem right to me.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachd123 View Post
Never mind. Just looked and realized that the metal sleeve spins inside the bushing, so it is unlike the other 100+ control arms I have installed that tighten at ride height and then pull down to load the suspension. These just ďfallĒ down, because the bushing spins in the sleeve. That doesnít seem right to me.
I installed the four SuperPro arms earlier this year.

I'd still time the bushings.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

I would like to time them but I can’t. They slip on the metal sleeve. I tighten the sleeve with the arm straight out but it doesn’t matter cause the bushing and Arm just swing down.
Now I am purring super pro strut mounts in and don’t understand where the metal sleeve they sent goes.
There is thin metal sleeve that was sent with the bushings about an inch or two with a lip on one end. Anyone have any ideas where it goes?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I would like to time them but I canít. They slip on the metal sleeve. I tighten the sleeve with the arm straight out but it doesnít matter cause the bushing and Arm just swing down.
Now I am purring super pro strut mounts in and donít understand where the metal sleeve they sent goes.
There is thin metal sleeve that was sent with the bushings about an inch or two with a lip on one end. Anyone have any ideas where it goes?
What SuperPro mounts did you go with? There are two versions...

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

1000 and 1001. Control arms and radius rods.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, been drinking,
I got the elastomer bushings. But I don’t know why it would matter which one i ordered if there was a sleeve. How different could the material be that it necessitated a different part/sleeve?
At this point I’m just flabbergasted that I can’t figure out where the sleeve goes/ why the radius rods and control arms wouldn’t tighten and let me clock them.
But this is what happens when you try to get a car ready for the first nice weekend of the year. Murphy’s law.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:40 AM

Quote:
I would like to time them but I canít. They slip on the metal sleeve. I tighten the sleeve with the arm straight out but it doesnít matter cause the bushing and Arm just swing down.
Now I am purring super pro strut mounts in and donít understand where the metal sleeve they sent goes.
Quote:
Sorry, been drinking,
I got the elastomer bushings. But I donít know why it would matter which one i ordered if there was a sleeve. How different could the material be that it necessitated a different part/sleeve?
At this point Iím just flabbergasted that I canít figure out where the sleeve goes/ why the radius rods and control arms wouldnít tighten and let me clock them.
But this is what happens when you try to get a car ready for the first nice weekend of the year. Murphyís law.
Poly bushings don't need to be timed. The metal ferrule /tube rotates freely in the poly bushing so it is not attached like oem rubber bushings are to the center metal mounts(which do need to be timed)...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, that is all I need to know. I didn’t know that.

Makes me feel better. Now, if I could just find out where this sleeve goes...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Sorry, been drinking,
I got the elastomer bushings. But I donít know why it would matter which one i ordered if there was a sleeve. How different could the material be that it necessitated a different part/sleeve?
At this point Iím just flabbergasted that I canít figure out where the sleeve goes/ why the radius rods and control arms wouldnít tighten and let me clock them.
But this is what happens when you try to get a car ready for the first nice weekend of the year. Murphyís law.
What part number?

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:58 AM

Nevermind, I did the research for you. You purchased the SPF1590BK (polyurethane) mounts. Apparently, they do come with a sleeve that you insert.

I was confused because the only mounts to purchase for these vehicles is part number SPF1590AK (polyelast).

I'd return those mounts and start over.

https://www.g8board.com/forums/7-sus...ml#post3420641

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:49 PM
Site Sponsor

he bought TRC1000 & 1001 not Strut Mount Bushings

T.C. Davis

BMR G8, 5th Gen Camaro & Early Muscle Car Tech
Feel free to E-mail me with your questions
www.bmrsuspension.com
Like us on Facebook!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
he bought TRC1000 & 1001 not Strut Mount Bushings
He bought all three:

Quote:
And here's the sleeve he's talking about:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04-06-pontiac-gto-front-upper-strut-mounts.jpg (68.4 KB, 44 views)

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Over the last year or so I purchased radius rods and control arms with super pro bushings, elastomer strut mounts, front and rear bmr sway bars and end links, bmr adjustable rear toe rods, trailing arms, front and rear koni and eibach springs. So about half the bmr product available for my car.

First issue was I thought I would need to clock the radius rods and control arms but apparently I did not, nor could I since the bushings spun on the metal sleeve.
So that was a non issue.

Second issue was a metal sleeve that I did not know where it went on the strut mount. Upon further investigation I realized my friend that was helping me grabbed some parts from a different pile of parts. He actually got the metal sleeve/spacer from the koni insert.
So that was a non issue.

All in all, don’t have too many drinks and rely on friends while replacing 90% of your cars suspension.

Thanks for all the help I received though. Car looks good and handles splendidly now.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Over the last year or so I purchased radius rods and control arms with super pro bushings, elastomer strut mounts, front and rear bmr sway bars and end links, bmr adjustable rear toe rods, trailing arms, front and rear koni and eibach springs. So about half the bmr product available for my car.

First issue was I thought I would need to clock the radius rods and control arms but apparently I did not, nor could I since the bushings spun on the metal sleeve.
So that was a non issue.

Second issue was a metal sleeve that I did not know where it went on the strut mount. Upon further investigation I realized my friend that was helping me grabbed some parts from a different pile of parts. He actually got the metal sleeve/spacer from the koni insert.
So that was a non issue.

All in all, donít have too many drinks and rely on friends while replacing 90% of your cars suspension.

Thanks for all the help I received though. Car looks good and handles splendidly now.

So which strut mount bushings did you end up ordering/using? A or B?

A:

B:

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

SPF-1590bk
The bmr elastomer strut mounts with bearings

I believe the second picture, B.
But I didn’t see that little sleeve, must have been in the bushing already?

Last edited by zachd123; 05-06-2019 at 07:37 PM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
SPF-1590bk

But I didnít see that little sleeve, must have been in the bushing already?
That's quite possible.

I highly recommend A.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:54 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
SPF-1590bk

But I didnít see that little sleeve, must have been in the bushing already?
It's already in the Bushing

T.C. Davis

BMR G8, 5th Gen Camaro & Early Muscle Car Tech
Feel free to E-mail me with your questions
www.bmrsuspension.com
Like us on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page