Let's talk wheel bearings - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:36 PM

One way to check if the wheel bearing is the issue is by putting load on the suspected side. For instance, if one suspects that the left wheel bearing is going bad, then driving the car in a right roundabout fashion causes the left wheel bearing to be placed under load. Roll down the windows and listen for any howling/grinding/turbine-like sounds coming from the wheel bearing under load. If no sounds, then I don't think its a wheel bearing issue......

08 G8 GT, Hot White, Onxy/Red Interior, Prem. Pkg., Sunroof, 19" TSW Nurburgring + Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
Suspension: BMR (F/R Sway Bars & End Links, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Subframe Bushings, Strut Mounts), SuperPro Radius Rod + LCA, ProForged Tie Rods (Inner/Outer), GXP Struts/Shocks
Brakes: CTS-V Brembos + Hawk HPS Pads, Russell SS Lines
Engine: Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Mach Balanced Catback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Slowly gaining acceptance

I am going to conditionally withdraw my wheel bearing diagnosis based on my test drive after doing the Brembo upgrade on the rear of the car.

Noise is gone. Pulsation is gone. Not sure why I was getting that wiggle in the steering wheel with the light application of the brakes, but then again I'm not all that well versed on how the brake hydraulics work on these cars. All I know is that it is much better.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:43 PM

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old Today, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Slowly gaining acceptance

Freakin' lug nuts

I have to say I've never had a car that was so sensitive to lug nut torque. After doing some other work on my car, and reading reading a couple other threads on the topic of steering wheel shake, I decided to break out my torque wrench and check my lug nuts again .Of the 20 lugs, three were slightly under torque (the wrench moved slightly before clicking) and no two were on the same wheel. Took the car for a ride today and BOOM! No more shake.

I'll drive it some more (I have some road miles coming up) and check the lugs again. I might just go ahead and buy new lug nuts, as these have been off and on again enough times during my ownership that they might be worn out enough not to hold like they should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page