Problem with FE3s up front and FE2s out back? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By PONY MAN
  • 1 Post By PONY MAN
  • 1 Post By Silver2009GT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Problem with FE3s up front and FE2s out back?

I have a strut mount that has collapsed and even though the car only has a little over 40,000 miles I知 going to replace the original FE2 struts while they池e off (next weekend). I've found a set of FE3 struts but can稚 find a set of FE3 rear shocks anywhere. If I go FE3s up front do you all see it being a problem for someone that's not ever going to road race the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:12 AM
The Mustang dude

I dont see an issue.

95 Mustang GT convertible 347 stroker
95 Cobra coupe Rotrex supercharged

The new baby - 09 White Hot G8 GT
Tinted, badges deleted

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:58 PM

I wouldn’t go that route. The fe2 are relatively sloppy so the back of the car will be reacting differently from the front. I got rid of my fe2s around 25k as I couldn’t stand them anymore and put PPVs on. Now my G8 feels glued down. I can imagine how the back would be bobbing up and down compared to the front if I left the fe2s on the back.

Should have mentioned this before: Consider putting PPV shocks on the rear, they are close to fe3s in performance.

Last edited by whatnext; 06-10-2019 at 07:15 AM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Decided to go with a set of the Monroe 2013 PPV replacement shocks for the rear. I have an old school stereo install and there's about 150lbs of junk in the trunk. Considering the extra weight in the rear, I'm hoping they'll be a decent match to the FE3s up front
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:28 AM

Interested to see how things shake out with FE3's in the front and PPV's in the back.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:13 AM

A historical tidbit: I watched my factory rubber strut mounts collapse so by 8k miles I replaced them with poly.

Silver2009GT - If only one of your mounts collapsed that would be very odd but good to replace them both and the crap Fe2 units. I'm sure the PPVs in the rear will work out fine. PPVs may start off feeling harsh but smooth out with some miles.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:45 AM

Oh by the way, https://www.g8board.com/forums/7-sus...ut-mounts.html.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Did a good bit of research on the front strut mount and decided to go with the SuperPro SPF1590AK Polyelast "hybrid" mounts. With it being 10 years old and me with no intentions of selling the car anytime soon, I'm replacing all the rubber parts - new GM upper and lower spring insulators and bellows/dust shields with new dampeners.

The right front lower control arm has a little movement in it also, so going with all four front Mevotech Supreme (grease-able) control arms. I know a lot of folks have had issues with the stabilizer bar links, so I知 replacing the front and rear with Moog Problem Solvers (grease-able) while I'm at it.

Also replacing all the rubber in the rear - Monroe 907992 shock mounts, GM upper and lower spring insulators, and new bellow/dust shield with dampeners.

Hoping this will keep everything good and tight for another 10 years!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:06 PM

Uhh, stay away from Moog parts. Over on a 4wd truck forum I belong to, a lot of complaints about Moog parts failing very quickly. Like within a year of installation, irregardless of miles driven on the part.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Uhh, stay away from Moog parts. Over on a 4wd truck forum I belong to, a lot of complaints about Moog parts failing very quickly. Like within a year of installation, irregardless of miles driven on the part.
I have a good friend that's a mechanic and he says the Problem Solver series are typically as good or better than OEM. However, he says the Moog R series is trash and they won't order or install them any more. Hopefully the problems they're having with the Moog parts at the other forum are with the R series.

Already bought everything - RockAuto screwed up the shipping on the order with the rear shock or I would have had everything installed by now. I should have known better to select the DHL option. It was supposed to have been here Thursday - thinking it's worth the extra $10 to make sure it gets here before the weekend. I think if I had just selected the regular shipping it would have made it here Friday. Just got a notice it'll be TUESDAY before it gets here. LOL Not happy there's no way to call RockAuto either. Started sending them "inquiries" via their online "customer service" Wednesday when I saw it hadn't shipped yet and only got the shipping notice at 7:00pm Thursday night. Never had a problem with RockAuto before, so I can't help but think it had something to do with DHL.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:25 PM

Regarding the stabilizer bar link. Had an issue with one soon after installation and determined over a period of time the upper nut on the driver's side would back off. It happened twice. Didn't want to strip the threads on the stud so used a lock washer to securely hold the nut in place. Regarding Moog... steer clear of their R-series line as they are prone to failure. Over the years, have used countless Moog products (problem solver) and cannot recall a single failure. As far as Rock Auto is concerned, never choose the DHL smart mail option unless you can afford to wait a few extra days. DHL smart mail transfers the package to the postal service to then be delivered by the mail courier. The exchange requires an additional business day. Any not familiar with the DHL express option since expediting the shipment negates a lot of the savings in cost.
GXP25 likes this.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up on the stabilizer bar link nuts.

Yep, paid $10 extra on the order made on Tuesday for a supposed DHL Express delivery on Thursday. They didn't even ship/pick up until Thursday. Delivery driver woke me up at 5:40am this morning (Tuesday - a week later) beating on the door - wasn't expecting that and glad he had dropped it off and left cause I might have acted like a fool.

I feel like if I had selected the regular shipping it probably would have gotten here Friday. NEVER AGAIN!!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:45 PM

Forgot to mention. Search online for the proverbial 5% off discount code. Copy and paste it in the section marked how did you hear about us? Would contact customer service and try to get reimbursed for the DHL Express shipping delay. Knocking much less beating on a strnager's door at that time of morning seems a bit risky.
GXP25 likes this.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:36 AM

I just replaced all four of the front lower control arms and after researching the different options, I ultimately went with Moog. Unfortunately... they only offer the R series, which according to the box, are made in Taiwan and do not have grease fittings. Even after a pretty big discount, it was still over 300 dollars.

I live in Michigan and work at a well known frame shop in Novi and that is the main brand we carry/sell so I'm not too worried about it as I can warranty them anytime but I am still a little bummed about it. Their Problem Solver line of suspension parts are great and of course have grease fittings.

Keep us updated on the rest of the suspension, I am looking to replace the front struts fairly soon. The mounts are noisy on turns but other than that, they perform as they should. I have a 09 base model with 92k on the clock now so I will be replacing the strut assemblies instead of just the upper mount and bearing. I wish Monroe offered a quick strut for our cars.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Well, the only thing that really needed replacing was the front strut mounts - everything else was good and tight. Dude said the right front control arm had some play, but it was fine. So all I ended up doing was replacing the mounts and front struts. Decided to put off everything else when it actually needed it. That means I'm going to be running the FE3s up front and the FE2s out back for a while.

My driving is not all that aggressive and I've never done any road racing (just a lot of drag racing back in the day). I'd think I fit about in the middle of your average G8 GT or SS driver, just like to hit the on ramps a little hard on occasion. However, I am rather critical when it comes to cars and I'm feeling pretty good about the combination so far. The ride is slightly stiffer but it handles the bumps in the road a lot better than the FE2s with the collapsed mount.

There's a new cut-through in my area with a tightly twisted road - I have shown out on it a few times. There's a tight left then right that was a little tricky with the stock set up at speed. The first drive through with the new front mounts and struts, the car felt considerably more "planted" - enough so that I went back through a good bit faster and it could have taken even more. The SuperPro SPF1590AK Polyelast "hybrid" mounts, FE3 struts, and the PS4S tires seems to be a pretty good combination for me. Fractionally stiffer but not bad at all considering the added level of confidence that wasn't there before.

I'll come back and give an update when the rear shocks or mounts go bad and I put on the Monroe PPV replacement shocks
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:26 AM

"Planted" is the term I use also after upgrading from the crap factory Fe2s (back at ~25k miles). You have the PPVs for the rears so why wait? The dampers will smooth out a bit with some break-in miles. I drove thru the Blue Ridge mts this spring and talk about twisties! 10 or more miles of constant twisties at a time. My GT with PPVs and Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3s made it effortless! I noted to myself that there was no transition/dead spot felt thru the steering wheel when going left/right/left, etc. The steering was that tight and the car planted!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Well, I was looking at the car sagging in the rear and decided to go ahead and put on the Monroe PPV replacement shocks out back. When I pulled the tires I noticed they were ever so slightly contacting/rubbing the top of the inner fenders. Since I've never noticed it before, I'm pretty sure it happened during the spirited driving I was doing the other day after putting on the FE3s up front.

With about 150lbs of stereo equipment the gap at the tires is about the same as the fronts now. If not for the added weight I'd suspect it would sit a little higher than the front. Right now it's pretty stiff and don't particularly care for them - kinda "bouncy" also. I sure hope these things will loosen up enough that I'll be OK with the ride. If not, I may have to drop the coin on the Koni adjustable shocks.

Just a heads up, if anyone buys the Moog Problem Solver rear sway bar links you need a thin 11/16" wrench to hold the inside retainer while tightening the 15mm outside nut. Luckily I had a cheap set from back in the 80s that was thin enough.
GXP25 likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old Today, 09:46 AM

Interesting that you're seeing the rear of the car up higher than the front. After my FE3 upgrade (all 4 corners) and poly front bushings, the front of the car was about 1/2 inch higher. I didn't mind so much since that's just more curb clearance when my wife drives my car and doesn't stop soon enough (yea, I know) but after 5 years it's still obvious that the front sits higher.

The handling has gotten sloppy again... Currently debating PPVs or going with the koni inserts and shocks. I'm on stock springs and don't plan on changing that (re: my wife's parking). I can't do the work myself so I'll need to find a shop that has experience with the inserts. I'll probably try to find a take-off set of FE2s to cut open instead of the FE3s, so that's just more time and planning involved before doing it. In the meantime I've gone from driving the car 20,000 miles per year to about 6000/year so it's not as pressing of an issue as it used to be.

2009 Liquid Red G8 GT, Premium
CPP LS3 Crate Motor, stock except for Custom Patrick G ECM/TCM Tune due to California emissions
Gone: Roto-fab CAI, LS7 MAF w/ 100mm 1:4 honeycomb, Catch Can
FE3 struts/shocks, BMR poly strut bushings
Subwoofer polarity mod and sub amp gain
My other rides: F-15E, A320, B737
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page