flensr likes this.

US Army Retired 1986~2008

Fortune Favors The Bold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:28 AM

Thanks! That works

2009 Liquid Red G8 GT, Premium
CPP LS3 Crate Motor, stock except for Custom Patrick G ECM/TCM Tune due to California emissions
Gone: Roto-fab CAI, LS7 MAF w/ 100mm 1:4 honeycomb, Catch Can
FE3 struts/shocks, BMR poly strut bushings
Subwoofer polarity mod and sub amp gain
My other rides: F-15E, A320, B737
post #63 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:44 PM

Some more info on the Brakes.

flensr likes this.

Fortune Favors The Bold

post #64 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:51 PM

Tried to replace pads/rotors today. Humbling experience, just don't have the strength to do that any longer. I've done pads/rotors a dozen times but just couldn't get it done today. Broke a tool, spent an hour finding the right wrenches, bought a new breaker bar because the tire place over-torqued the lug nuts, and just couldn't get the leverage to get the caliper brackets off so I had to put it back together and call a local shop for an appointment tomorrow.

My front pads are only about 1/2 done but I have some steering wheel shake at light to moderate brake pressures. The wobble goes away when I push harder on the brakes and I suspect it's a hard spot on the rotors. I took the left side partially apart trying to do it myself today and if I slowly spun the rotor while lightly touching the face, there was one spot on the rotor face that felt different somehow, like maybe a slight bulge or different resistance against my finger. In any case, I have new delco blanks and pads ready to go on but I'm going to have to pay someone to do the work for me. Bummer.

Of course, it's a good time to replace the fluid while it's at the shop. Any suggestions or thought about Dot 4 or "Super Dot 4"? Does brand matter for a daily driver? Anyone heard of pentosin? At the auto parts store near me, Pentosin super dot 4 is like $16 for the bottle compared to prestone dot 4 for $10, so it's not like it's going to break the bank either way. I don't race so ultra high heat resistance isn't my primary concern. But I'm willing to pay an extra $5 if it'll last longer.

Thx!

2009 Liquid Red G8 GT, Premium
CPP LS3 Crate Motor, stock except for Custom Patrick G ECM/TCM Tune due to California emissions
Gone: Roto-fab CAI, LS7 MAF w/ 100mm 1:4 honeycomb, Catch Can
FE3 struts/shocks, BMR poly strut bushings
Subwoofer polarity mod and sub amp gain
My other rides: F-15E, A320, B737
post #65 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:26 PM

The entire brake system job, including fluid flush (hand pump) took me about 12 hrs if is done by the manual. Each rotor has to be done a runout check with a dial indicator, fluid flush at 100,000 miles. But, since I was at 90,000 ish, went ahead while I did the rotos and pads.

The end result.... Cannot beat as good as new. Even up to day, not a single pulsation

Forgot to mention, used Vavoline Synthetic DOT4. I think it said that is compatible with DOT5 or 3.

Is 3 and 4.

Fortune Favors The Bold
post #66 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:04 PM

After a road trip through the Blue Ridge Mts and Smoky Mt National park, I had to get the factory brake pads off my GT (only 35k miles). When driving the miles of mountain switch backs, the pad transfer to the rotors made my steering wheel shake and brake pedal pulse. Real annoying when the handling with PPVs and Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3s was so good. Some brake dragging would clean off the rotors only to crap up on the next set of switch backs.

Read about Bendix PPV pads on the forums and for $70 for a set, I slapped them on the original factory rotors. Just getting them bedded to the rotors. They feel better but haven’t had a chance to really test them.

Really wanted Carbotech 1521s but would have gone with new rotors too. That would be a chunk of change so went the cheap route for now.
post #67 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Really wanted Carbotech 1521s but would have gone with new rotors too. That would be a chunk of change so went the cheap route for now.
Carbotech 1521 pads will be my next route.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #68 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:52 PM

No experience with Pentosin brake fluid. Seems plausible the Super Dot 4 brake fluid would be geared towards high performance applications i.e. autocross or another form of racing. Don't know the longevity of Super Dot 4 versus Dot 4 nor if the recommend change intervals are similar. Per my understanding, Dot 4 can be used in Dot 3 applications, but not vice versa. Dot 4 meets/exceeds the boiling point requirements of Dot 3. However, Dot 3 does not meet the boiling point requirements of Dot 4 i.e. higher temperature and high speed braking.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #69 of 69 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:22 PM

I found the link.

Want the full GM Shop Manual for the G8 on PDFs format? Follow this link. Took me a while to download all but is sooooo worth it. All the stuff that you need, better than those Haynes and Chilton manuals.

https://www.mediafire.com/?6l6q10bav0xof
flensr likes this.

Fortune Favors The Bold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page