Never, ever, ever, ever use Turtle Wax Black Tire Coat - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Never, ever, ever, ever use Turtle Wax Black Tire Coat

I made the huge mistake of being suckered into this product by my own laziness. Hmmmm... lasts months, not days or weeks. Really? I must read more on the can about this! Heck, it's even $13.00 for an 8 oz can, so it must be good stuff.

(Yes, I know I should have seen the warning signs when I saw it was in an aerosol spray can)

The angel on my left shoulder was dressed in a white suit and was warning me, "You haven't bought a Turtle Wax product in thirty years for a reason. Don't fall for this!"

The angel on my left shoulder was dressed in Bermuda shorts and was sitting in a chase lounge wearing a huge straw hat and said to me between sips of some rumbrella drink, "Months, dude! MONTHS! What's there to think about? Whatta ya gonna do, spend half your life dressing tires? You deserve your time. Your back hurts. Chicks will dig it! Whatta ya waitin' for?"

The can says not to move the car for 2-3 hours. I was done for the night, so it will sit for about 8-10 anyway. Plenty good! I "shake can before using" and hear mixing balls. Like paint. Paint for my tires. Surely I would never actually put this on my ti... ssssssssssssst! sssssssst! ssssst!

I spray-painted my tires clear. Regardless of whatever it says it does, that is what happened.

I come out the next day and... it actually looks good. Very shiny! maybe tooooo shiny, but it'll wear, right? I drive to work. 2.5 miles. On paved roads. When I park, I look again. Looks like the clear was still wet when someone laid my tires down on a beach. Sand, dirt, and granuals of all kinds stuck to the sidewall and they do not wipe off.

I want this stuff OFF! Doesn't say how to remove. I call 1-800-turtlewax and get told that I am to use a wire type brush something like what you use for a grille.

A BBQ grille??? You want me to use a BBQ grille brush on my $1300 tires???

I did a Google search and found this, which I wish I would have seen first:

http://www.phantomss.com/product-rev...ould-avoid-it/

After much trepidation, I slowly use some wire brushes. This will take forever. I whip out my soft wire wheel and put it in the cordless drill and....

It worked. Got the stuff off quick and did not ruin the sidewall. Looks fine.

I hope you learn from me. Friends don't let friends use Turtle Wax Black Tire Coat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:24 PM
The New Guy

Although it's deeply upsetting you struggled with this stuff, I'm glad you could convey your sorrow in a humorous fashion!

Either way: noted. Thank you for the info.

'08 GT
Performance- 219/227 .612/.619 112+0/RCR Heads, Kooks LT's/xpipe, SLP UDP, Pat G tune, Spectre CAI, LS7 MAF, FE3/Eibach, Russell SS Lines, TB/SFCs, Cradle Inserts, UPR Catch Can
Appearance- GXP Bumper, 32% Tint, 35W/5000K HIDs, Switchback Turns, Debadged
Audio- RE-Q5, Clarion EQ, JL C5-525 Components w/ Rockford P400-4 amp, 10" Pioneer w/ RE DTS-1500.1 amp, Dynalined
Misc.- Whistler Pro-3600 RD
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:28 PM

The black box they make for black paint works great. This however doesn't sound like the case.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Sarcasm Personified

Sorry about your troubles, and glad you finally got it off. I also have to agree love the story telling!

2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:43 PM
The New Guy

I used some Turtle Wax clear coat scratch remover, and it was absolute garbage.

I can only use Nu Finish Scratch Doctor. With my PBM, using this cleans things up the best. Tried the Turtle Wax for SnG's, and was completely disappointed. Had to wash the car again to get it off.

I SOMEWHAT know what you are feeling, also. I'll probably stay away from Turtle Wax now. Sad days..

'08 GT
Performance- 219/227 .612/.619 112+0/RCR Heads, Kooks LT's/xpipe, SLP UDP, Pat G tune, Spectre CAI, LS7 MAF, FE3/Eibach, Russell SS Lines, TB/SFCs, Cradle Inserts, UPR Catch Can
Audio- RE-Q5, Clarion EQ, JL C5-525 Components w/ Rockford P400-4 amp, 10" Pioneer w/ RE DTS-1500.1 amp, Dynalined
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

My own fault. I am usually real discerning about what I use. This was an impulse buy in a weak moment. I am going to meetings now and recovering.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 10:05 PM
The New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post
My own fault. I am usually real discerning about what I use. This was an impulse buy in a weak moment. I am going to meetings now and recovering.
Hey, it happens. Keep us posted on your recovery.

'08 GT
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 10:42 PM

so essentially it's a $15 can of clear coat?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 10:44 PM

Garage
haha, nice story. the one guy I work with just told me about this a few days back at work. he has a 2005 mustang gt that he applied it to. i'll have to remember to ask him how it's holding up.

Current: 2009.5 SBM G8 GT, Premium Package, Sunroof, Pat G. ECM/TCM Tune, Roto-Fab 102mm CAI, LS7/LS3 MAF, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, SOLO HFC's, SOLO Mach-Shorty Balanced Catback, SOLO 3.5" Tips, 19" Sport Package Wheels, GXP Steering Wheel, GXP Diffuser, Neondials, VG Sharkfin II, Debadged (Except Arrowheads), Hood-Vent Mod, Lower Grille Mod

Next: RCR Modified Intake Manifold, RCR Ported TB, Powerbond UDP, Suspension Upgrades

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 09:33 AM

We carry this stuff at work, I'll make sure to let everyone of my customers know how bad this stuff is and to stay away from it. Thanks for the heads up.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 10:39 AM

just use meguiars nxt, never had them fade a tire and last pretty good

-VCM intake, DT headers, Solo Axleback, Pat G tune, [email protected] and 365rwhp/370rwtq
-Avant Garde M310 20x8.5 and 20x10 milled to +40, 245/35/20 and 275/30/20, H&R springs, Koni inserts and shocks, Neondial corners, Painted gloss black roof, Painted Matte black bumper and grill inserts
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StBlGT View Post
haha, nice story. the one guy I work with just told me about this a few days back at work. he has a 2005 mustang gt that he applied it to. i'll have to remember to ask him how it's holding up.
He may like it. I have yet to take it off my front tires, but I really don't like the look at all even without debris. I tis literally a clear coat on the tires and the edges where the road wears it out is flaky... like skin peeling after a sunburn.

Almost looks like a shiny hard shell on the tires. I should take pics.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Sarcasm Personified

The only thing I used to use from Turtle wax was there interior ICE cleaner. Works pretty good, but I have switched my entire cleaning to Poorboys World. I'd recommend there Bold N Bright tire cleaner, but I know this forum is pretty much adam's>all so I'm sure they got something that will work much better

2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page