Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Morimoto 35w 5000k kit

3K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  hivoltagedriver 
#1 · (Edited)
I must say, GREAT kit. I am having trouble with the left bulb not firing all of the time. I think it's a bad ballast, I'll call TRS on Monday(I know they'll take care of it). The kit install was straight forward, it did take a few minutes to figure out the harness(I'm half Polish, that's my excuse lol). Let me just say...WOW. What a nice difference. My pics suck, my phone camera lens must have had a finger print on them, it shows that the light is very scattered...it's not at all. No glare, no cheap look. Our cars should have come with some type of HID kit from the factory. It gives the car a nice look, classy/expensive look and improves night vision. I was going to go with my typical Silverstars but at $50-60/pair and only lasting 1 year it wasn't smart to waste $$, sure the HID kit is more expensive but with a 5yr warranty it's more cost effective to go this route.

Here are some crappy pics, they don't do the lights justice. There's no glare or light scattering(though the pics show that there is).

I have headlight armor yellow fog covers. It was waaaaaaaay too cold out to install them today. I'm either doing them or getting matching 5000k fogs. Either way I'm super happy with the purchase(even with the possible product issue that I'm sure will be resolved, I will post back up with an update on that).

EDIT: Pics removed until I take better ones, it's not a fair representation of the quality.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, my pics suck.

#3 ·
Your pics do suck-ha! I wonder why people take pics of the headlights straight-on as opposed to the light actually on the ground or from the drivers seat inside the car.

The Morimoto kit is the way to go though, it is about the best HID kit that one can get.

Did you already try swapping the right ballast to the left to see if it is indeed the ballast that is the issue?

Did you install the harness that came with your kit? Does the light stay steady once it is fired up?

#4 ·
Stop making sense lol. I'll take the pics down and take new ones later.

Yes, the problem followed the ballast, once it fires it's ok with a very slight flicker at times...very slight but I can notice it. Like I said I'm sure TRS will take care of it, just waiting for them to open on Monday. I LOVE these lights though.

#5 ·
Don't worry, no one really minds bright lights being shone in their faces on computer screens, as if we can really see how great the lights are head-on-ha!

I, like most folks, would rather see what the light looks like on a dark road as compared to what the stock halogens looked like.

TRS is really good, once you tell them you have already swapped ballasts and bulbs, they say they will send you a new part and you can send them the old one later as they don't want you waiting while things go back and forth. It is the benefit of paying more.

The light from HID's is just incomparable to any Halogen bulb.

#6 ·
I'm gonna go take new pics in a few minutes haha

#8 ·
So apparently they had issues with about 10% of the ballasts that went out(I guess I'm part of that lucky group lol), they act up especially in cold weather. They know about it, they're getting redesigned ballasts out next week which is fine. I'll deal with the problem for a week or two as long as the problem gets fixed.

I still love this upgrade haha

#12 ·
H11. For a while I think they were sending out a 9006 wiring harness with a H11 connector on it. Now there's no option for it when you order. Make sure spend the extra $20 on the XB35 bulb, eliminates the ground wire shadow.

Product:
1x H11: Morimoto Elite HID System
Ballasts: Morimoto 3Five (35w)
Bulb Spec: XB35 (H11B)
Kelvin: 5000K
Wire Harness: H11
Wire Harness Type: Heavy Duty Relay

#10 ·
I love my Morimoto kit! So much better than the junk DDM kits. I had a ballast issue at first also. This was two years ago. They took care of it that day and over nighted me a new ballast. Great support! they have some new bulbs out now also that help with the shadow you see at the cutoff. Our lens suck in the G8. I have a set of Mazda3 lens i need to put in but have never got around to it. I had a full TSX retrofit in my Accord that was amazing!

#11 ·
I have the Morimoto Kit on mine as well, A lot better quality than the DDM kit I used before...Also, their customer service is awesome! DDM was terrible. I agree straight forward kit, I love the harness and the lighting is perfect!

#14 ·
Nooooooooooo problem

#15 · (Edited)
Are you running anything different in the fogs? Does something need to be done for the drl's?

#16 ·
Nothing in the fogs yet. I have headlight armor yellow overlays, gonna see how they look or I might match the headlamps with the 5000k look...not sure yet. Either way I'm not doing anything anytime soon because what was suppose to be 1-2'' of snow turned into 6-8'' and I HATE the snow and cold lol

I have the DRL fuse pulled however with the relay harness they provide you don't have to. The fuse was pulled from the previous owner and I just left it out.

#18 ·
Absolutely. Anything I can do to help.

#20 ·
I forgot to post an update. They recalled the ballasts, replaced them with DSP type ballasts. No issues at all...love them.

#22 ·
All of them sold recently from what I understand, give them a call or email them. They should send you detailed instructions on what to do(you don't have to send your old ones back).

#24 ·
They'll definitely take care of you

#25 ·
Good reading. I just installed one of their kits in my car as well. Love the quality, but the left side doesn't always want to ignite. I'll have to call them.

Also, the harness took me a minute to figure out. It wasn't the same as the previous harness I had. It only triggers from the factory harness on one side instead of both. Not a big deal, just had me scratching my head for a minute.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.