Headliner questions. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Headliner questions.

I need a little help with my headliner. Since this is the first G8 I've ever owned or been inside the headliner seems a little strange. I do have a Webasto sunroof. The kind the slides outside the roof. I didn't realize it was aftermarket until searching around this forum.
I basically have 2 questions.
There are some odd shapes in the rear near the grab handles that almost look like somebody shoved a coke can above the material. Are these normal?

Second, the rear dome light appears to be hanging rather loosely from the fabric of the headliner. I assume that it should he solidly mounted? To the roof itself or the headliner board. Screws or glue? If I hit a rather large bump while driving it hits the roof causing an irritating noise and I need to fix it ASAP.

It does seem that in some places the headliner fabric isn't directly attached to the backer board like I would expect it to be but when I push up on it I don't really feel anything up there. It does not seem to be sagging. Is this normal?
Other than that my headliner seems ok. I know it was messed with at some point because of the sunroof install. I would probably be able to answer this stuff if I had ever been in another G8 so I am asking community. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2008 LR GT. Sport and Premium Packages. Little Lunati Plus, BTR dual springs, Straub bushing trunions. Spectre CAI, Camaro trans pan, Stainless long tubes, no cats, Magnaflow mid muffler, Solo axle back, Eibachs, 6th gen 'Maro' 20's in gloss black, Shark fin, LED interior lights, brake lights, headlights, foglights, 20% ceramic film tint.
403 WHP
13.199 @ 105 1/12/2018 WHP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 06:08 PM

The indentations in the rear are normal. The rest is not. Good excuse to have it redone in ultrasuede/alcantara.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
If I have to redo it that's the way I'll go for sure.
It really isn't bad tho. Just that dome light in the back. What is that thing fastened to?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2008 LR GT. Sport and Premium Packages. Little Lunati Plus, BTR dual springs, Straub bushing trunions. Spectre CAI, Camaro trans pan, Stainless long tubes, no cats, Magnaflow mid muffler, Solo axle back, Eibachs, 6th gen 'Maro' 20's in gloss black, Shark fin, LED interior lights, brake lights, headlights, foglights, 20% ceramic film tint.
403 WHP

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm going to bump this because I have some annoying creaking/popping coming from above the headliner in the back seat. I have read other threads about noisy sunroofs and lubing the seals and all that. I have lubed the seals that go on the glass and that didn't help. It seems that people were speaking of a factory sunroof anyway but I tried it. Also, my rear dome light appears that it is installed backwards and will not go in correctly because of a black bar above the headliner that I presume is for the sunroof and may be the cause of my creaking when hitting bumps. Before I rip down the headliner to try and correct the noise because it is driving me crazy, does anyone out here have any pics of the inside of their roof with the headliner removed?

403 WHP
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 04:45 PM

I can't help you with the noise, but I'll leave these here to inspire you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160723_210353.jpg (144.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20160723_210420.jpg (141.7 KB, 46 views)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMGXP View Post
I can't help you with the noise, but I'll leave these here to inspire you.

That is reeeaaally nice! However I was hoping for some pics with the headliner off so I could see what is supposed to be up there. Oh how I wish I didn't have a sunroof...

403 WHP
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 07:07 PM

This can help you.

Sunroof

OK maybe that can't help you since you are looking to see the headliner off.

Maybe this?

https://www.g8board.com/forums/4-tech...-footwell.html

or this

It shows removal of the front dome light but he says the removal is the same in the back.

Last edited by eqs_g8gt; 10-01-2016 at 07:40 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqs_g8gt View Post
This can help you.

Sunroof

OK maybe that can't help you since you are looking to see the headliner off.

Maybe this?

https://www.g8board.com/forums/4-tech...-footwell.html

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GaSHV-OY8A

It shows removal of the front dome light but he says the removal is the same in the back.

Thanks for the links. My main problem is that I have an aftermarket Webasto sunroof and the headliner is modified for it. All the resources I have found are different than mine. Little things like the rear dome light is in backwards because it won't go in the right way due to a brace being up there for the roof or sunroof and the third brake light is glued to the headliner instead of screwed in. I am going to have to pull it down eventually because the sunroof creaks while I'm driving and I want to see if I can tighten it up or lube the seals or something to quiet it down. It's pretty annoying but I can just turn up the radio then I don't hear it for now.

403 WHP
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 10:58 AM

OK I see. Maybe you can lower the headliner just enough to check if anything is loose under there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page