Stained Door Panel - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Stained Door Panel

I got some sunscreen on the black honeycomb portion of the door panel and its left a stain on it, right where my elbow rests.

I've tried a couple of cleaners with no results, 303 & Lexol, so I'm going to need something a little stronger to clean it but I don't want to damage it either, any ideas?

2004 GTO - PBM - A4

LPE - Kooks - GHL - '05 Rear Bumper - De-Winged - HSV Brakes - HP Tuners - BC Racing - Lovells - Moda

2009.5 G8 GXP - PBM - A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Madison
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 07:20 AM

Need something with a mild degreaser. Have you tried dishsoap and water? Don't scrub to hard.

09 panther black G8 GT
Show:19x9.5's rear w/rolled fenders, 18x9.5's front, 20% tint, trim/lense tint in progress, sub rewire, amp adj, VIM w/ dvd in gb, interior blackout in progress.
Go: spectre, hsrk, lpm, pacesetter LTs, full 2.5" cat/mid/res delete, flowmaster ABs, INTENSE tune.
97 Red GP GTP- ECM, headers, custom exhaust, ported blower, heads, TB, CAI, etc....... sold
91 GP GTP- L67 swap, tranny, headers, exhaust, ECM, and a few more.... ;-) sold
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 08:49 AM

Maybe try using a eraser. I've used pencil erasers for removing dried wax off of black exterior parts. Try not to rub any harder than you would with your own finger on the spot.

Only other thing I can think of is using an all purpose cleaner on a microfiber towel and repeatedly rubbing in a circular motion.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 04:27 PM

i figured you would have gotten stain out with lexol or something what a bad one.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 10:51 PM

This reminds me of some discoloration that developed on top of my door where the window is rolled all the way down and I hang my arm out the window. I couldn't figure out what caused it for the longest time. Then I realized that is where my arm rests when it's hanging out the window. Apparently I have oily skin and it creates fading or discoloration with whatever it comes into contact with on a regular basis (you should see my pillows). Unfortunately, I don't think there's any way to restore the finish on that part of my door.

2009 LR A6 G8 GXP
#986 of 1829 produced
#60 of 81 as optioned
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 03:50 PM
Flying the Pontiac Flag

Try the "Tuff Stuff" multi purpose cleaner that you can pick up at any auto parts store as well as other retailers. I've used it for years to clean floor mats and all interior surfaces and it works very well with no ill effects I've ever come across. My wife uses sunscreen all the time and I use "Tuff Stuff" on her Accord door panels to clean up the white haze that the sunscreen leaves with excellent results. "Tuff Stuff" comes is in a red and yellow can. I swear by it...Give it a try.

1965 GTO - 439CI Poncho (440 hp/510 tq), 3 2bbl carbs (tripower!), M20-4speed, Pro-Touring treatment (13"/12" brakes, fast ratio PS, tubular control arms, Global West suspension, etc.), 18" AR TT2 Classic wheels
2005 GTO - Cyclone Grey, M6 - VMR V803s with 235/35 & 275/30-19s; EE Catch Can; Revenge Designs Rear Spoiler; JBA headers; Tune; GMM shifter
2009 G8 GT - MSM with Onyx/Red - Premium & Sport - Chrome lugnuts, VG Sharkfin
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
Try the "Tuff Stuff" multi purpose cleaner that you can pick up at any auto parts store as well as other retailers. I've used it for years to clean floor mats and all interior surfaces and it works very well with no ill effects I've ever come across. My wife uses sunscreen all the time and I use "Tuff Stuff" on her Accord door panels to clean up the white haze that the sunscreen leaves with excellent results. "Tuff Stuff" comes is in a red and yellow can. I swear by it...Give it a try.
I've also used this for years. I love it because it seems to be a mild all surface cleaner and doesn't damage anything. It will streak up shiny surfaces though.

09 panther black G8 GT
Show:19x9.5's rear w/rolled fenders, 18x9.5's front, 20% tint, trim/lense tint in progress, sub rewire, amp adj, VIM w/ dvd in gb, interior blackout in progress.
Go: spectre, hsrk, lpm, pacesetter LTs, full 2.5" cat/mid/res delete, flowmaster ABs, INTENSE tune.
97 Red GP GTP- ECM, headers, custom exhaust, ported blower, heads, TB, CAI, etc....... sold
91 GP GTP- L67 swap, tranny, headers, exhaust, ECM, and a few more.... ;-) sold
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 10:41 PM
Flying the Pontiac Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmg8 View Post
I've also used this for years. I love it because it seems to be a mild all surface cleaner and doesn't damage anything. It will streak up shiny surfaces though.
I've noticed that as well and usually follow up using "Tuff Stuff" with a quick wipe of a water dampened microfiber to take care of any streaks.

1965 GTO - 439CI Poncho (440 hp/510 tq), 3 2bbl carbs (tripower!), M20-4speed, Pro-Touring treatment (13"/12" brakes, fast ratio PS, tubular control arms, Global West suspension, etc.), 18" AR TT2 Classic wheels
2005 GTO - Cyclone Grey, M6 - VMR V803s with 235/35 & 275/30-19s; EE Catch Can; Revenge Designs Rear Spoiler; JBA headers; Tune; GMM shifter
2009 G8 GT - MSM with Onyx/Red - Premium & Sport - Chrome lugnuts, VG Sharkfin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page