The fabric with foam backing is lifting off the rear deck. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

The fabric with foam backing is lifting off the rear deck.

The fabric with foam backing is lifting off the rear deck. Anyone found a suitable fabric that matches? Took it to a local upholstery shop and their material matches in color but not the texture.
Has anyone had the cover redone or repaired?
Did you end up using the same material with foam backing or did you opt for a non foam material. Seems like foam material on a location that gets hit by the sun would not be a great idea.
I actually have the rear deck cover out of the car already.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00119.JPG (97.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00120.JPG (94.4 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by eqs_g8gt; 07-19-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 02:50 PM

I wonder, would this be an opportunity to stitch a pattern into it? Give it some interest, a custom look?

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Maybe but a matching fabric would be nice.
I assume most upholstery shops will have similar fabrics or have access to get a fabric close to the one we have in our cars.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Looks like I have found possible match to the headliner fabric.

Auto Flat Knit Headliner Ebony

Let me know what you think. Close?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 12:15 AM
Flying the Pontiac Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqs_g8gt View Post
Looks like I have found possible match to the headliner fabric.

Auto Flat Knit Headliner Ebony

Let me know what you think. Close?
That does look pretty close. Let us know how it turns out and post up pics when you're done.

1965 GTO - 439CI Poncho (440 hp/510 tq), 3 2bbl carbs (tripower!), M20-4speed, Pro-Touring treatment (13"/12" brakes, fast ratio PS, tubular control arms, Global West suspension, etc.), 18" AR TT2 Classic wheels
2005 GTO - Cyclone Grey, M6 - VMR V803s with 235/35 & 275/30-19s; EE Catch Can; Revenge Designs Rear Spoiler; JBA headers; Tune; GMM shifter
2009 G8 GT - MSM with Onyx/Red - Premium & Sport - Chrome lugnuts, VG Sharkfin
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

OK I have fixed the rear deck headliner and installed it. This is not a difficult job it just requires some patience and you will need it. The hardest part about the install is getting the rear plastic vent trim off the rear deck. The rear plastic vent trim has these white plastic clips that clip into the rear metal speaker deck. They secure the rear speaker deck cover and keep it from moving around or rattling against the back glass. The problem is that these clips are glued on from the factory. There is a high probability that you will break the vent trim piece that these clips slide into. Maybe you can use an adhesive remover but it might damage the vent trim.

I went with the stock foam material which was a direct match to the headliner. This material is common to Ford and Toyota headliner material. The one big difference is the foam backing. This new material has a better foam backing than OEM.

I used 3M 90 spray adhesive to glue the headliner material. This is the one you want or one with similar performance Do not use 3M 77, 3M 80 or general purpose adhesives. You want an adhesive that will work well in high temperatures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00154.JPG (86.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00155.JPG (96.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00157.JPG (61.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00175.JPG (106.7 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page