Headliner Removal/Install - For those who've done it, how tough? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Flying the Pontiac Flag

Headliner Removal/Install - For those who've done it, how tough?

Headliner started to develop a little looseness around the grab handle areas and is now pretty well de-laminated on the passenger side so it's time to look to get it re-done. Since I am OCD about my cars and generally don't trust others to not screw something up, I was thinking about removing the head lliner myself and taking it to an auto upholstery shop to get re-covered.

My question is for those who have done it, how tough is it and what are the steps to remove the headliner? I've seen the manual instructions and they sound like overkill on what all needs to be removed and was wondering what really needs to be removed to get the headliner out and how to do it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

1965 GTO - 439CI Poncho (440 hp/510 tq), 3 2bbl carbs (tripower!), M20-4speed, Pro-Touring treatment (13"/12" brakes, fast ratio PS, tubular control arms, Global West suspension, etc.), 18" AR TT2 Classic wheels
2005 GTO - Cyclone Grey, M6 - VMR V803s with 235/35 & 275/30-19s; EE Catch Can; Revenge Designs Rear Spoiler; JBA headers; Tune; GMM shifter
2009 G8 GT - MSM with Onyx/Red - Premium & Sport - Chrome lugnuts, VG Sharkfin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:39 PM

Good question I was wondering myself. Mine is peeling everywhere (Houston humidity) but I reattach it with black thumb tacks on all the corners. Works for now and out of sight.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 02:27 PM

Let the upholstery shop handle the r & r.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Flying the Pontiac Flag

If I trusted that they wouldn't screw anything up I might but I wonder how well they know how to remove it without scratching any plastic trim or damaging anything. G8 visor retaining clips look over engineered in how they are mounted so I wonder how well an upholstery shop would know how to remove and re-install them. (Look them up in the forums and you'll see they are a bit complicated to remove and install).

I'll look for a highly rated shop but that doesn't mean they can't screw something up.

1965 GTO - 439CI Poncho (440 hp/510 tq), 3 2bbl carbs (tripower!), M20-4speed, Pro-Touring treatment (13"/12" brakes, fast ratio PS, tubular control arms, Global West suspension, etc.), 18" AR TT2 Classic wheels
2005 GTO - Cyclone Grey, M6 - VMR V803s with 235/35 & 275/30-19s; EE Catch Can; Revenge Designs Rear Spoiler; JBA headers; Tune; GMM shifter
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 06:58 AM

Find a shop that does a fair amount of headliners. Then, since you're doing it anyway, have it redone in suede.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160723_210353.jpg (144.5 KB, 40 views)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 02:54 PM

I did the headliner in my wife's G last weekend. Don't recall how long it took just to remove, but I noticed with removal, removing fabric and cleaning the board was about 4 1/2 hours. The instructions I read had you removing a lot of unnecessary items.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Flying the Pontiac Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlosdad View Post
I did the headliner in my wife's G last weekend. Don't recall how long it took just to remove, but I noticed with removal, removing fabric and cleaning the board was about 4 1/2 hours. The instructions I read had you removing a lot of unnecessary items.
What were the unnecessary items? I've read the manual version and it seemed like much more than would be required so your feedback on what you actually did is what I'm after. Thanks in advance for any additional input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
headliner , sagging

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page