SOLUTION: Fitting RotoFab Rad Cover with redesigned radiator support - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By terryscott621

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
SOLUTION: Fitting RotoFab Rad Cover with redesigned radiator support

So after having my front end damaged by a deer and GM redesigning the radiator support, my RotoFab radiator cover no longer fit. SEE ORIGINAL THREAD HERE. I was randomly searching Improved Racing's website and saw that their support brackets for the VCM intake looked as if they might work for helping to reattach the RotoFab radiator cover. After calling them and speaking with them and initially having them send me the wrong parts we decided that they would send me all the support brackets that they make for the VE and VF model intakes and I could see what (if anything) would work and whatever I didn't use I could send back for a refund. Well, I finally got around to trying to fit everything and this is the solution I came up with.

The brackets with the red rectangles around them are the ones you need. These are part of their VF intake kit. The top ones are to support the outer two mounting locations for the actual air filter housing on the VCM intake. The ones in the lower red rectangle are for the side infill panels that they sell. I ended up only using the one on the right side, but they don't sell them individually so you'll have to get both.

I ended up cutting the side fill panel support bracket in half roughly and mounted it near the fuse box on the passengers side. I had to cut it to be able to rotate it enough that it would line up with the hole near the fuse box on the RotoFab radiator cover.

Next you'll need to mount the two brackets in the top red rectangle in the first picture. I have highlighted how these mount in purple rectangles on the installation instruction from Improved Racing's website.

Now these don't have anywhere to bolt to like in the install instructions (because the install instructions are for a VF). So what I did was line up the bracket on the mounting location and drill a hole where I placed a bolt and nut to hold it roughly in place.

This shows how the bracket mounts:

I then traced around the front edge of the bracket to show me where I needed to drill a hole to be able to place a bolt to hold the bracket in place. Without a bolt (or something else there) the bracket would just slide off the plastic. I drilled a small hole right in the middle and towards the rear of the car so that I could put a bolt through.

**CONTINUED IN NEXT POST**

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)
Roto-Fab Intake with Amsoil Dry Filter / HSRK / Kooks 1-7/8 Mids / SOLO Mach Shorty (Unbalanced) Catback / Pat G Tune / Norris Motorsports Gen2 Catch Can / BMR Swaybars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / Tein S-Tech Springs / Koni Shocks & Struts / Whiteline Rear Cradle Bushings / Whiteline Strut Bushings /

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

Last edited by terryscott621; 09-04-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I then also cut the mounting brackets roughly in half. This step isn't necessary, but the brackets seemed to fit better when trimmed down. There's some wire looms that are kind of in the way if you don't trim the brackets down.

I added some 3M double sided tape to help hold the brackets in place and line up the holes with the radiator cover.

After all of that you now are able to mount your radiator cover. The second from the driver's side is unused. I just put an extra clip in there to make it look finished. It's not a 100% perfect fit, but it's pretty close and I'm much happier with having the cover on then having it off.
s/c'd cav likes this.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)
Roto-Fab Intake with Amsoil Dry Filter / HSRK / Kooks 1-7/8 Mids / SOLO Mach Shorty (Unbalanced) Catback / Pat G Tune / Norris Motorsports Gen2 Catch Can / BMR Swaybars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / Tein S-Tech Springs / Koni Shocks & Struts / Whiteline Rear Cradle Bushings / Whiteline Strut Bushings /

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ

Last edited by terryscott621; 09-04-2016 at 03:51 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 04:18 PM

much better !!

09 G8/GT stryker blue 12.13 @ 114 , best mph 115
04 5.7 auto 1 of 273 12.300 @ 110.953 1.74 60ft , 11.49 @ 120 on da bottle , formerly BMR's gto
06 6.0 M6 1 of 227 13.282 @ 106 1.9 60ft

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 08:49 PM

Garage
Nice job. I'm in the same fix after having my front end damage repaired. Thanks.

2009.5 LR G8 GT
SHOW: spt/prem
, V8 badges
, Wheelskins, custom console lid, VG sharkfin, 20% tint, custom embroidery, GXP wheels.
GO: Roto-fab, Kooks LTs & H/F cats, Corsa, VMS.

371 rwhp 378 rwtq (dynojet)
Best 60ft. time: 2.01
Best 1/4 mile: 12.979 @ 108.79mph

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 09:27 AM

Great work!

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 05:58 PM

Thanks for sharing

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

2009 PBM G8 GT
DSX - ARH - RotoFab - PatG - RCR - Magnuson - VaporWorx - ID - Brembo - TSW - Nitto

RIP Charlie, Panzer (Chris Wells)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page