White spray paint overspray! - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By demonspeed
  • 1 Post By cincy09gt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

White spray paint overspray!

My darling wife (she really is a good one, 99% of the time) spray painted (white) two old chairs on "her" empty side of the garage while my car was still on "my" side!!! Needless to say, some over-spray ended up on my sport metallic red G8. Truth be told, you can't really see it unless it's out in the sun but rubbing your finger on it with medium pressure doesn't remove it and Windex doesn't get it off the side glass. So, I'm in semi-panicky need to know what is the best, paint-safe way to remove this crap???

2009 SRM: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, body-color-matched Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, body-color-matched roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 06:26 PM

Garage
I would try the following, always start with the least abusive method and move forward if it doesn't work.
1. Clay
2. Compound
3. Sand (3000+ grit)

-MY16 SS, Heron White, Auto, Sunroof, Spare #1204
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 06:28 PM

Whaaat? I'm surprised you say sanding, that seems crazy to me.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-38070-Perf...ywords=3m+clay

Try this, it is pricey but it's much more heavy duty than the store brand clay bars. It got my overspray off very well or you could always find a professional detailer in your area to do it for you. Obviously follow up with a good compound, then wax. You have some work ahead of you.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 06:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslowwG8 View Post
Whaaat? I'm surprised you say sanding, that seems crazy to me.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-38070-Perf...ywords=3m+clay

Try this, it is pricey but it's much more heavy duty than the store brand clay bars. It got my overspray off very well or you could always find a professional detailer in your area to do it for you. Obviously follow up with a good compound, then wax. You have some work ahead of you.
Haha, I can see how you thought that I meant start with clay, if that doesn't work then compound, and as a last resort sand. Guess I'm bad at explaining stuff.

-MY16 SS, Heron White, Auto, Sunroof, Spare #1204
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:10 PM

Plain old buffer and some compound will take it right off

Stryker Blue Metallic G8 GT
- RotoFab, Ls7 maf, Rick C Intake/ported TB, 1 7/8" Kooks mids, Borla, Pat G tune, VMR 810's, Camaro deep trans pan, tints, polyelast bushings, fe3, Tein lowering springs, RotoFab radiator cover, VG shark fin, gloss black gxp diffuser, Morimoto 6k hids, led fogs, Neondials clear side markers, Maverick man carbon
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 08:36 PM

Orbital and some polish is where I'd start. Hexpad from chemical guys and Porter Cable. You could have a good detailer look at it I'm thinking might just come off in the process. Good luck.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 06:13 AM

#1 clay bar
#2 buffer with lite compound.

DO NOT USE SANDPAPER! Good lord no!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 07:23 AM

Clay bar first.
Find someone with a DA polisher. Orbital can mess up the paint if you don't have the experience. You might even be able to get it by hand.
Got any pics of the damage?

There's probably some folks on the Adam's Polishes forum in your area that can help you out.

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:25 AM
I'd Rather Be Shifting

Divorce
TexasXD1, Eloquent and Drew0327 like this.

2008 G8 GT sold|www.fquick.com/demonspeed
UMI Performance toe arms|trailing arms|tunnel brace|FE3|Whiteline
Domin8|LS3|Manzo|PowerBond|Vararam|VMax=390rwhp/385rwtq
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:45 AM

Sounds like something my mate for life would do....another good one is wanting to throw a skid of patio stones in the trunk....
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 07:37 AM

Always remember water is you best friend and lots of it. If there's good wax on your car clay bar/water should get if not wet sanding w/3000 will definitely get it repet light wet sanding very light pressure then buff and wax it will look better then ever

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 11:01 AM

Clay bar.

If that doesn't work, take it to a professional. It doesn't sound like you're too experienced with this
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 12:50 PM

Garage
Clay barred mine this weekend using Mothers kit. Just use liberal amounts of spray detailer when rubbing the overspray out. I get powder coat on mine often, comes right off.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff92se View Post
Clay bar.

If that doesn't work, take it to a professional. It doesn't sound like you're too experienced with this
Not sure why you'd make that assumption. Admittedly, I'm no detailing expert but I do take very good care of my car in every respect. I just never faced a situation like this (of my wife's making) and was asking for advice before I start in on it. Most of the tips received (thanks, everyone) are pretty much what I'd have done but wanted some confirmation.

2009 SRM: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, body-color-matched Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, body-color-matched roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy09gt View Post
Not sure why you'd make that assumption. Admittedly, I'm no detailing expert but I do take very good care of my car in every respect. I just never faced a situation like this (of my wife's making) and was asking for advice before I start in on it. Most of the tips received (thanks, everyone) are pretty much what I'd have done but wanted some confirmation.
Unless you've put some time down with a rotary or orbital polisher, I wouldn't try paint correcting overspray. ESPECIALLY if it's serious enough that the clay bar wasn't enough to take care of it.

If you got the proper tools and experience then by all means... have at it.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 11:30 AM

Lacquer thinner first. If there is any wax on the car the thinners will remove it and the over spray. Clay bar for anything remaining. Re-Wax

'09 PBM GT. #2 Kook's Mids, Solo Mach balanced, SCT X4 Tuner. LED H/lamps, Tail lamps and Interior
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 10:58 PM
New adventure in G8's!

Clay bar with lots of lube.
I detail cars and this is what I use on my FLEX DA polisher.
This stuff is awesome and I threw my old clay bars away!!
Nanoskin Autoscrub Medium Foam Pad

Ryan

2008 G8 GT - Liquid Red - Sport Premium
Rick Crawford Built! 11.50's @ 120mph
Cam, H-E Series Head Port/Mill/Flowed, throttle body, intake & tune, headers, 3.45 gears.

2003 10th Anniversary Cobra - Torch Red
VMP supercharger + E85 = 725rwhp

2003 Mach 1 - Azure Blue

2004 Terminator drivetrain swapped + Kennebell + E85 = 600rwhp
Daily Driver.

Follow me on instagram - ttsaleen
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

I clay-barred the car, putting a fair amount of time and effort into it, then re-waxing it. The over-spray came off fairly easily. I did all this in the garage under so-so lighting and I thought it looked great. The next day when it was out in the sunlight, however, at certain angles all the horizontal areas (trunk lid, roof, hood) look kind of streaky. Apparently, my clay-bar application method was somewhat uneven or something. I guess in time I'll have to do it all over but not right away, as from any distance it looks good and now it has a good layer of wax on it heading into late fall, early winter.
Jamie g8 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page