Rear Bumper Problem - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Rear Bumper Problem

Hey guys, so when I bought my G8, the rear bumper was repainted poorly and chipping. I took the bumper off like last year to repaint it, and I couldn't put it back to sit flush with the rear fenders and everything. I just left it like it is in the pictures, but now it's really bothering me. Does anyone have any idea how I can make it fit perfectly again? The clips are not grabbing and holding the bumper because the bumper has those little slots and they are worn down. Anyone have any solutions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0047[1].jpg (142.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0048[1].jpg (148.1 KB, 47 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 07:47 AM

The bumper just pushes in and locks. If it's not staying in when you push it in, your hooks or the catch tabs may be worn. Also check to make sure you took the push-lock out of the rear of the wheel house on the rear tire before putting the bumper on, it interlocks with the bumper.

2009 - G8 GT MGM
1998 - Chevy Z-71
1986 - Camaro IROC, GMPP 525hp LS3, Tremec Magnum 6-speed
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Did all that. I think the catch tabs are worn down. I don't know if there are any solutions, like attaching it with something else or taking it off and reinforcing the catch tabs somehow. I'm a little scared to take it off again tbh, but if that's the only solution I might have to. Anyone else have the same problem and found a solution?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Bump. Still haven't thought of a solution. Car is currently being stored for the winter.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:56 PM

Hm not sure how the bumper bolts up back there but maybe take it to a good body shop and see if they can help you? Couldn't be more than an hour labor.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

I'm having my new tires mounted onto my new wheels in the spring and the place is also a very good body shop I think, so i'll have them take a look and see if they can fix it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 11:53 AM

rear bumper

Not sure if you fixed your bumper yet . I just bought 09 g8 gt. Rear bumper on both sides didn't fit flush. I will describe what I did to fix. There are 2 plastic press tabs , 1 at bottom of bumper and inner fender cover , 1 press tab in middle and 1 screw at top . The screw and bottom tab are straight forward install. The middle hole is the key . you have to install first. The problem with my bumper was the bumper was aligned behind the metal mounting tab. This tab has a gusset for reinforcement , if mounted behind it won't sit flush and actually pushes the bumper out. I pulled the bumper forward and had lip of bumper come over the tab to sit flush. Then line up metal tab, bumper and inner fender holes. Put in locking tab , then lower tab , then top screw . Both sides now fit flush
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page