GXP front bumper kit paint costs - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

GXP front bumper kit paint costs

Thinking about getting the GXP kit and trying to get an idea how much it has ran others getting it painted.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 05:55 PM

I'd think between 2 or 300. I was just quoted 350 for the driver side fender

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 06:17 PM

Sounds about right. I had mine painted for $300

2008 G8 V6: Eibach lowering springs, 18" staggered rims, K&N CAI, Series 4400 Flow Master axle backs with FlowMaster tips, radiator cover, tinted tails, silhouette of G8 third brake light.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:15 AM

Should be about 2 to 300 like pony killer stated i had about 1200 in all with new lower inserts,fog light covers ,bottom rubber insert for gxp only, pontiac emblem,new gxp bumper cover that i got for 300 on Craigslist but i am curious to what you call a gxp kit and whats in it and price

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:59 AM

Garage
How much quality do you want? If you're just going to have them spray it, you'll save on the paint part of the job.

If the kit you're talking about is an "everything you need" spread, then you're indeed in it for at least $1,200 like above stated for the parts alone. Any less than that and you're getting either a reconditioned or aftermarket bumper cover.

As for paint, if you just have them paint it and do the install yourself, yeah you'll save money and pay $2-300. However, you won't get the perks such as "being able to make them fix a mismatch without cost or poor alignment, or hold them responsible for a screw up."

I'd let them do the install and paint job. It'll run you somewhere's around 5-600, but it'll be worth it.

For the record, it also depends on the quality of the paint job. A cheap job that'll last for as long as you're looking at it may be sufficient, but if you want it to be right you're going to pay more.

Costs will vary by region. (Sometimes considerably)

I'd be prepared for a higher range depending on the work you're having them do.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 02:28 PM

Prices are a bit cheaper than expected, probably should get mine resprayed.

09 GXP Liquid Red A6, Sunroof
VCM Intake, Corsa
#21 of 1829 built, #1 of 60 GXP with same options

09 G8 GT PSM (daily)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:28 PM

Garage
I don't know, I'm just a little weary of these 2-300 prices.... I've been through plenty of body shop experiences, and I know what is involved in the job. I've never had a body panel painted or even resprayed for 2-300 bucks.

It's not just painting a piece and slapping it on the car. You've got paint the part separately, and then after assembly they sand down and smooth out the adjacent panels, then respray and blend the colors so they match.

No matter what kind of gismodery the shop says they use (some talk about the use of "special" camera), the paint color will never match the factory job that has faded, and even the texture will be different if it is perfect. Too many variables are involved like paint quality, color, spray gun, texture, shop air pressure, and temperature (to name a few). It'll even take a day or two to fully cure after drying before you'll know 100% that it matches after blending. Normally, your eyes are merely fooled into seeing the same color as long as it is close. A good shop will make this seamless.

I'm not calling anybody a liar here.... I'm just weary of what I think may not quite be the best job you would want done. There's more than one way to paint a car, and if you tell a shop you're price conscious, they'll do the best they can to match. That means they'll use different methods to save them time and supplies so that they can save you money.

As an example of a few times for work that would qualify as similar:

1. Shop in Charlotte, NC 2017: Rear Bumper Cover Replacement from recent rear ending: $600 tied up in paint supplies and labor (Full estimate $1,773 with OEM bumper replacement)
2. Shop in Concord, NC 2010: Rear Bumper Cover Respray from unseen accident (scraped paint - Elected not to do): ~$350-400 quoted paint supplies and labor ($468 with tax)
2. Shop in Concord, NC 2007: Rear Bumper Cover Respray after minor accident (G6): ~350-400 tied up in paint supplies and labor (6-700 total since I don't remember the additional charges)

That's a comp that I go by. You've always gotta pay sales and waste taxes and any disposal fees if applicable. So that $2-300 paint job is actually $175-215.

For a whole bumper cover that's priced low to me. I would be asking them to explain the whole process of what they'll be doing. If they say something about assembling, masking, and then painting, I'd walk away...... I've yet to walk into a body shop that quotes me 2-300 dollars to paint a full panel from either plastic, or metal, or primed.

They charge by the hour and by supplies. A full spray costs more than a re-spray, and it is a lot more time consuming and frankly more difficult than a respray for repairs.

Anyways, that's just my .02

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page