ebay "Holden" spoiler - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

ebay "Holden" spoiler

Anyone had any luck with this spoiler off ebay? I know you'd have to fill/paint several holes in the trunk lid but you'd have to do that if you spent hundreds more on the "real" one too. Do these at least use the two main bolts holes on either side?
PAINTED PONTIAC G8 FACTORY STYLE REAR WING SPOILER 2008-2010 | eBay

2009 SRM: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, body-color-matched Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, body-color-matched roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 05:37 AM

Garage
I have the PFYC spoiler on my trunk; it's awesome. Not sure if this is the same item, but I love how it looks.

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepcom View Post
I have the PFYC spoiler on my trunk; it's awesome. Not sure if this is the same item, but I love how it looks.
What all was involved in the install? Did it use the two bolt holes on each side? Fitment? Did you have the other holes professionally filled in and painted? Pics? Thx.

2009 SRM: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, body-color-matched Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, body-color-matched roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy09gt View Post
What all was involved in the install? Did it use the two bolt holes on each side? Fitment? Did you have the other holes professionally filled in and painted? Pics? Thx.
+2

Saw on Amazon they have the same style spoiler. Only thing stopping me is the fear of cost.

--Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT PSM w/Sport & Premium packages -- Rotofab, GXP Diffuser, Cortex, Solo Axle Backs w/ 3.5" tips & Many "Crazy Paul" additions
2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:31 AM

5 holes need filled. 2 existing holes are utilized and 2 new holes need drilled. There are existing threads showing install instructions

2009 GT sport, prem., roof PBM - Red/Onyx
Rotofab, LS7 MAF, Pat G tune, Kooks mids, Mangaflow, 3.45 gears
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac88 View Post
5 holes need filled. 2 existing holes are utilized and 2 new holes need drilled. There are existing threads showing install instructions
OK, yeah, I found and read over one by Glanzergtx; very helpful. Anyone know how much a reasonable body shop would charge to fill the holes and repaint the areas where they were? I wonder if it would be easier for them to do that after you took off the stock spoiler but before you put the new one on?

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 11:07 AM

I looked at the spoiler on eBay, seemed a bit to good to be true at that price.
I'd spend more to make sure I got a quality spoiler rather than have this one fly off on the highway one Sunday afternoon.
My .02 cents for what its worth.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

PYFC sells an extremely similar spoiler for the same $149 but charges an extra $85 to paint it to your body color. I think several guys on here have it, like it a lot, and have had no problems with it on their cars for two years or more. Tempting. Just gotta find out about the cost of professionally filling in the five holes left in the trunk lid after you install this one and painting the area where they were.

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 01:24 PM

I bought an Ebay spoiler.. Came painted. Matches pretty good. Slight bit darker but with shadows it not real noticeable.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy09gt View Post
Anyone know how much a reasonable body shop would charge to fill the holes and repaint the areas where they were? I wonder if it would be easier for them to do that after you took off the stock spoiler but before you put the new one on?
Anyone?

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 08:43 AM

Garage
IMO, unless someone here works at a body shop that's going to be hard to give you and estimate. You best bet is going to a body shop and getting a quote.

-Shawn
2009 G8 GT in ATX
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman93 View Post
IMO, unless someone here works at a body shop that's going to be hard to give you and estimate. You best bet is going to a body shop and getting a quote.
I'm almost certain that a few guys on here have gone that route though and so would know; maybe one of them will see this thread and post up.

post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Did that and I think I just gave up on the whole idea. This estimator from a nearby, well regarded shop (does all the work for a local Mercedes dealership) never did come out with a final figure but it was really adding up. Said you'd have to weld up the holes and grind/sand them down flush, then repaint the entire trunk lid to ensure a perfect color blend. He said you'd need to take off and replace the GT, G8 and arrowhead emblems, etc., to do the job. Basically was saying that it was going to be a big ticket job and just to have a "better" spoiler on there is probably not worth it to me.

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Did that and I think I just gave up on the whole idea. This estimator from a nearby, well regarded shop (does all the work for a local Mercedes dealership) never did come out with a final figure but it was really adding up. Said you'd have to weld up the holes and grind/sand them down flush, then repaint the entire trunk lid to ensure a perfect color blend. He said you'd need to take off and replace the GT, G8 and arrowhead emblems, etc., to do the job. Basically was saying that it was going to be a big ticket job and just to have a "better" spoiler on there is probably not worth it to me.
I'm 98.5% certain I won't go this route, but I wonder where guys get the semi-flush plugs they sometime use to "fill in" the holes? Anyone know?

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 05:03 PM

I got mine off eBay and have had no problems. It didn't cost that much to install, but the shop that did it has done all the work on my conversion. I didn't use the seller in the listing you posted, but I do remember seeing that seller name when I was shopping for mine 5 years ago. The one I got was about $20 less, but that *was* five years back, so....

I got a painted one and the match was right on. Then again, my car was barely four years old in 2012, too.

...[EDIT]...

I just did a search on eBay and found listings by the seller I bought from. I actually think it might be the same seller using different seller names. Both are using the same picture and same location.

'08 G8 - VE Commodore SV6 - HW, Sunroof, Premium, Comfort & Sound
Mods: VE Commodore Conversion - Front Bar & Grille, Bonnet, Spoiler, Badges, Wheel Centre Caps, Steering Wheel Airbag, Holden Cluster, Leather Console Lid, Holden Shift Knob; Auto-Dimming Mirror (w/o airbag nag), VG Shark Fin, LED Fog Light Covers for DRLs, CoStar Bluetooth, Aspheric Door Mirrors, Exterior Boot Release, GMH Rear Window Sunshade, GMH Radiator Cover, GT Boot Lid Liner, GT 2.92 LSD, Parking Sensors, Reverse Camera

Last edited by g8carl; 03-02-2017 at 05:24 PM.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:30 PM

Try Home Depot and get the semi-flush domes they use to cover the wood screws used in build-it-yourself furniture.
I'm sure I saw a thread where someone used something along these lines.
Had to paint them and trim to clip in but apparently it worked.
May be worth a shot.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 11:12 PM
Ins-Z-G8-toR

Dont be scared of ebay. Matter of fact I love ebay.

09' PBM G8 GT Red/Black Interior-20% Tints-Camaro SS Wheels- 2-12" Alpine Type R Subs w/JL Audio Amp Cam:230/242 .627/.601 112+4 Camaro Trans Oil Pan-B&M Trans Cooler-Spectre CAI-DOD Delete-160 T-stat-OBX LTs
Circle D 3400 Stall-Dynomax 12" Bullet Muffs 432RWHP/403RWTRQ--SOLD
07' LMB C6 Z06-20% Tints-Cam:233/245 .652/.635 113+3-WCCH Stg2 Heads-OBX LTs
AirRaid CAI-Corsa Muffs 561RWHP/508RWTRQ

14' Camaro SS 1Le-20% Tints-Bone Stock
13' Wicked White Evo X--SOLD!
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS G8 View Post
Try Home Depot and get the semi-flush domes they use to cover the wood screws used in build-it-yourself furniture.
I'm sure I saw a thread where someone used something along these lines.
Had to paint them and trim to clip in but apparently it worked.
May be worth a shot.
Anyone know what size the holes are? And what shape, round, oval, square? I've seen some pics in which they kinda look oval so if that's what they are then what is the diameter from top to bottom (the narrowest part)?

Last edited by cincy09gt; 03-03-2017 at 03:54 PM.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:54 AM

The holes are not just round. I am in the process of painting a trunk lid for the spoiler. After looking at the trunk lid holes I decided to use epoxy on them instead of welding them up. Depressed the holes and used tape on the backside. The trunklid I got had a few other dents and it needs a color change so a complete re-finish was in order. Did not see this until I had filled them but they ranged from 3/8" to 7/16" as I remember.

09 G8 LR GT.
06 GP/GT
01 GP/GT (wife's)
86 GP 2+2
76 TA 455 4sp
72 GTO 400 4sp
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

I got the two clips out that are the ones on each side closest in from the end metal studs and, yeah, looking up under there the holes seem to be a bit oval in shape, I'd guesstimate maybe 1/4" top to bottom and about 3/8" side to side. I'll get more exact measurements when I have the spoiler all the way off. I was kind of hoping they were just round as I'm planning to just fill them with color matching vinyl plugs for the short term and they might stay centered and secure a little better than having the holes oval. We'll see.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page