Steering Wheel Bolt Won't Loosen - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy Steering Wheel Bolt Won't Loosen

I received my Holden Super Sport steering wheel today and thought I would quickly install it after supper. I disconnected the battery and let the car sit a little. Next, I removed the air bag; no issues there. But every time I say a project won't take me long, it does! UGH!!!!!!!!!!! The T50 bolt just won't break loose!!!!!!!!!! I tried for 15 minutes before asking my father for help. He tried while I held the steering wheel. Finely he was like, "Bud, you are not gonna get that off!" How in the world does one remove THAT STUBBORN T50 BOLT???

Thanks in advanced!

2009 LSA Swapped V6 G8

Last edited by HRW5; 04-13-2017 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Not an HSV steering wheel, but rather a Holden Super Sport steering wheel. There is a major difference!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:21 PM

I've done it a couple times. It didn't seem overly hard. Do you have a new bolt to replace it with?

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
I've done it a couple times. It didn't seem overly hard. Do you have a new bolt to replace it with?
I was just going to reuse the old one. However after reading, I think I'll buy a new bolt. At this point it is not coming off to began with!

2009 LSA Swapped V6 G8

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 12:04 AM

You could always try an impact

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Geminitwozero likes this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 12:23 PM

PB Blaster.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:10 PM

Hit it with an impact, that's how I got mine off.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 03:10 PM

It was a pain for me too but a breaker bar did the trick.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMGXP View Post
PB Blaster.
I'd avoid that. A rust situation is unlikely, and there are electronics in the area. There's loctite holding it in there. Just make sure your bit has a good firm seat, then give it a good firm twisting.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 10:28 AM

The first time I took my wheel off I used a very large breaker bar with a long pipe that I put through the holes in the steering wheel to hold it in place. Think of like a really long steering wheel locking bar. You can then just have it rest against the floor and that will hold the steering wheel in place for you. You can always take a few whacks at the ratchet handle with a hammer too which might break it loose. Make sure that you do not use the built-in steering wheel lock to hold the steering wheel though.

It will be worth it in the end! The new wheel (I bought the other one) is significantly nicer than the stock GT one.

2008 G8 GT - White Hot #379

Audio | IMGUR ALBUM | JBL MS-8, JL HD 900/5 (Active to fronts), Focal KRX2 woofers, ScanSpeak Illuminator Tweeters, JL Audio c2-350x Center, JL 12W6 Subwoofer, Custom fiberglass spare sub box by NDM, Second Skin Damplifier Pro on doors and trunk

Performance | Kooks Shorty Headers, Little Lunati Cam, BTR Dual Springs, Titanium Retainers, Pushrods, Volant CAI, Pat G Tune
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:06 AM

you need to have one person holding the steering wheel and the other trying to loosen the bolt
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I am gonna try the impact! It is just a little 18v Dewalt; it may not be big enough. My faith in this succeeding is not very high. I'll post again within the hour!

2009 LSA Swapped V6 G8

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This is pathetic! I tried the impact, but it is too small. I found a small breaker bar in the shed that was a little bigger than the ratchet I was using earlier and utilized my father's help. The poor little breaker bar was about to snap! Nothing! Just nothing will break its grip! It must be welded on or something! Could it be the summer heat? I just don't understand! Maybe I am not suppose to replace my steering wheel?

2009 LSA Swapped V6 G8

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:31 PM

Man, yours must definitely be tighter than mine was. I was able to use the breaker bar with my left hand and keep the wheel still with my right. I hope you make some progress. I'm sure you'll love the new wheel.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:36 PM

We will get it removed tomorrow. Don't worry
HRW5 likes this.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:48 PM

Are you using 1/2 drive torx or a 3/8 that would make a big difference + it has to be a 1/2 AIR impact

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 12:36 AM

Yeah I had to use a really strong impact gun. Make sure it's an impact wrench and not impact driver, big difference.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:08 PM

For a breaker bar, I always find the handle from a floor jack works really.
GXP25 likes this.

2008 G8 GT - White Hot #379

Audio | IMGUR ALBUM | JBL MS-8, JL HD 900/5 (Active to fronts), Focal KRX2 woofers, ScanSpeak Illuminator Tweeters, JL Audio c2-350x Center, JL 12W6 Subwoofer, Custom fiberglass spare sub box by NDM, Second Skin Damplifier Pro on doors and trunk

Performance | Kooks Shorty Headers, Little Lunati Cam, BTR Dual Springs, Titanium Retainers, Pushrods, Volant CAI, Pat G Tune
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up

It has been a long day, so this will be short. Thank you for all your fantastic ideas and help! I especially want to thank @Generalg for taking time to help out a friend. The bolt is free!!! I will post more details tomorrow!
Generalg likes this.

2009 LSA Swapped V6 G8

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:41 PM

Garage
Victory always feels good, especially when it's a pesky problem.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I picked up a replacement bolt at our local dealership and headed over to @Generalg for some help. He had about a 14 inch ratchet that he used for his wheel! I held the steering wheel and he tried to remove the bolt. Pop, pop, pop! The ratchet started slipping with all of the pressure applied!!! Crazy! He tried again this time the ratchet won! Ten minutes later and 33lbs, the wheel was on. I am still getting used to it. If I'm completely honest, it feels like I may have taken a sip of the Kool-Aid. However, the wheel is installed and it does have its perks. My favorite part are the bulges at 10 and 2. This way I can rest my thumbs on the bulges instead of wrapping them around the wheel and getting a cramp. Here are some pictures for proof. Thank you all again!

Old wheel:

The pretty wheel and a car that needs cleaning:

2009 LSA Swapped V6 G8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page