Suggestions for Front End - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Suggestions for Front End

After several years of driving on Interstate 95, the front end has taken so many hits from road debris and whatever that it is soooooo ugly. I got a quick estimate for painting and they want about $1,100 and that includes feathering back the hood and the fenders. I just don't want to pay that much. Looking for ideas from anyone. Was thinking about a wrap on the front but would still have to sand the entire area..........otherwise the wrap (if you would look close) would show the chips under it.

Car has 195,000 miles on it. However, had a 50,000 mile engine put in last year. Don't run on the interstate anymore, so whatever I do should last. Plan on keeping it for a long time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SOLO CAT BACK SHORTY EXHAUST/Roto Fab CAI/Tinted 35%
Superchips Cortex Tune (91Octane)
DMH E-cutouts / VG Sharkfin Antenna / Holden badged
MGP Caliper Covers / GXP Diffuser / LED Tails
Advanti Racing (Black Powder Coated) Wheels
255/35/20 NITTO
DBA4000 rotors / Hawk Ceramic Pads

Proud Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:40 AM

Bra?

Quickest, easiest and cheapest solution not sure about prettiest.

Have thought about getting one for vacations but I put more miles on driving to and from work in a couple of months then the yearly road trip.

--Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT PSM w/Sport & Premium packages -- Rotofab, GXP Diffuser, Cortex, Solo Axle Backs w/ 3.5" tips & Many "Crazy Paul" additions
2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:40 AM

Subscribed. I'm going through the EXACT same thought process right now. Paint? Wrap? New bumper?

FWIW... $1100 seems pretty good if it's a reputable body shop.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebg8gt View Post
FWIW... $1100 seems pretty good if it's a reputable body shop.
^^^I was thinking the same thing. My suggestion would be have them paint the car then invest in a clear bra/protective film for the front end (another $500-$1000). I've never really liked how the clear bra/protective films looked, but my buddy got his 2016 Chevy SS done when it was new for $600 and you can't even notice it unless you're right up on the car. It has taken some hits also from highway debris and the paint underneath still looks new.

When my GXP gets retired from daily driver duty this is definitely the way I'm going.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)
Roto-Fab Intake with Amsoil Dry Filter / HSRK / Kooks 1-7/8 Mids / SOLO Mach Shorty (Unbalanced) Catback / Pat G Tune / Norris Motorsports Gen2 Catch Can / BMR Swaybars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / Tein S-Tech Springs / Koni Shocks & Struts / Whiteline Rear Cradle Bushings / Whiteline Strut Bushings /

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:01 AM

$1100 is pretty steep, I replaced,bumper,grills(all) headlights,emblem,to gxp, with paint for around $1500 I would definitely ck other shop's

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest1 View Post
$1100 is pretty steep, I replaced,bumper,grills(all) headlights,emblem,to gxp, with paint for around $1500 I would definitely ck other shop's

Did you have the hood or fenders painted at all? Yes, you had more cost in parts, but a lot of the expense associated with the $1100 is going to be the time taken to get the hood and fenders well blended. Not trying to be difficult, just seems a little apples and oranges.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:03 AM

No did not blend but on back bumper replaced on insurance claim they did blend and it turned out awful mine is black metallic and took them 3 times and still couldn't match factory color??don't know your color but good luck with your shop and stay on them if it's not right

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:10 AM

Mine is black as well, and good to know. Thanks

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:13 AM

Let us know how it goes

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 07:38 PM

Had my front bumper replaced due to a fender bender and the quote to replace the front bumper was 900.00.

PBM GT W/SPORT PACK
GO:
Pat G tune
CIA: ORSSOM
EXHAUST: BADLANDZ CUT OUTS W/ X PIPE AND RESONATOR DELETE
KOOKS 1 7/8 mids and HFC's (coated)

SHOW:
PONTIAC EMBLEMS REMOVED. HOLDEN TRUNK LOGO ADDED.
TINT
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copilot757 View Post
After several years of driving on Interstate 95, the front end has taken so many hits from road debris and whatever that it is soooooo ugly. I got a quick estimate for painting and they want about $1,100 and that includes feathering back the hood and the fenders. I just don't want to pay that much. Looking for ideas from anyone. Was thinking about a wrap on the front but would still have to sand the entire area..........otherwise the wrap (if you would look close) would show the chips under it.

Car has 195,000 miles on it. However, had a 50,000 mile engine put in last year. Don't run on the interstate anymore, so whatever I do should last. Plan on keeping it for a long time.
My car's paint was really crappy on the drivers side. A local trade school which teaches high school level students to professionally paint did the front drivers door and passenger door blended the quarters and roof line for less then 300.00 paint and labor. I was quoted by numerous car painters from 1500-2000 to do the job.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

That's a good idea APL. I may see if there are any schools around here. May be worth the little investment.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SOLO CAT BACK SHORTY EXHAUST/Roto Fab CAI/Tinted 35%
Superchips Cortex Tune (91Octane)
DMH E-cutouts / VG Sharkfin Antenna / Holden badged
MGP Caliper Covers / GXP Diffuser / LED Tails
Advanti Racing (Black Powder Coated) Wheels
255/35/20 NITTO
DBA4000 rotors / Hawk Ceramic Pads

Proud Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page