Headliner removal question - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:39 AM

Garage
Ok it sounds like everyone is running into the same headliner failure as I am. My problem is the material is separating from the hard board because the glue or whatever you want to call it is turning into crumbs of sticky stuff. Then the material falls down and flaps in the wind on both rear sides where it meets the glass. Has anyone repaired this problem in an inexpensive way? Can the material be removed from the hard board? Cleaning both sides and reapplied with new adhesive. I would like to keep the OEM look. Or can new material added to the hard board after cleaning it up in some way? Anyone gone this direction and can add some feedback?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:48 AM

The foam has deteriorated. That is what is crumbling off. You will need to replace the entire headliner material. Get it replaced at a auto upholstery shop or get the material and put it in yourself if you know how to do it.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:42 PM

Garage
Damn, I am not afraid of hard work. Just replaced the rear engine plate gasket and rear main seal. Who do we blame here? Holden or GM? To replace the head liner seems like a pain in the ass. All the clips that can break. The air bags and so on. Thank you.

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:36 PM

Garage
Hi speedracers08, to my knowledge, there is no way to repair your headliner if its sagging like that. you will need to take out the old headliner material and replace it with new material. if you scroll up, you will notice I posted a step by step video on how to take off the headliner yourself. Using the video, you will notice it is quite an easy job to do. After you take out the headliner, you can take off the old headliner material from the hard board and clean all the old glue. After, if you don't know how to install the new fabric, then take it to an auto upholstery shop. After I had taken mine out and cleaned it up, I called around and was quoted 50 to install the new material on the board. Some wanted to charge like 150-200 with the board already taken out so don't give up if you get quoted that, keep calling around. If I had not removed my headliner myself, it would have cost me between 300-400 dollars to get the headliner repaired and who knows how many clips and pieces they would have broken and not told me about it. Im glad I did mine myself so I know I did not break anything but 1 piece, which is stated on my video so you wont break your piece off. Total cost for my headliner to be redone cost me less than a 100 bucks. As for the way it looks now, it looks 1000% like if its OEM (brand new). If I had to do mine all over again, it would probably take me about 1-2 hours to get it all done. Its not hard at all. Let me know if you have any questions.

2009 G8 GXP
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:26 AM

Garage
Thank you for your encouragement. I have been researching the job. Right now I am having a problem with the color and availability. My interior is I guess what they call charcoal grey? Any reliable sources known?
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 12:50 AM

Garage
Sorry for the late response. I would tell you to send an email to the place where I got mine from. I bet they have your color there for your g8. I got headliner material from headliner doctor on amazon.

2009 G8 GXP
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 04:42 PM
out front & pulling away

Luisc thanks for the video. After removing panels, clips, fasteners, sunvisors etc. When you actually pull down headliner to remove, are there attachment clips on the headliner itself? Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2009 GT, WH, SPORT/PREM, W/SUNROOF, CARGO LINER, CUSTOM- FITTED SUNSHADE, SONY GPS. LED REAR LICENSE PLATE LIGHTS. STOCK ENGINE COVER REMOVED. FULL-SIZE FACTORY SPARE W/ PACE PERFORMANCE TIRE-CHANGE KIT, Diode dynamics SL1 led lowbeams, XPEL HEADLIGHT PROTECTORS, CALIFORNIA CUSTOM EXTREMEWEAVE CAR COVER, RACERAMP FLATSTOPPERS, REDLINE ARMREST COVER, LED REVERSE LIGHTS, LED FOGLIGHTS, NO PERFORMANCE MODS FOR NOW. MAYBE SOMEDAY I'LL JUST GET A 480HP CRATE MOTOR FROM GMPERFORMANCE.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:02 PM

Garage
After you remove everything that is mentioned in the video, the headliner will want to fall down, 3 or 4 Velcro pieces will try to hold the headliner up which won’t be enough so just support it by your hand. Let me know if you have any other questions.

2009 G8 GXP
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:46 PM
out front & pulling away

Thanks for the info.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2009 GT, WH, SPORT/PREM, W/SUNROOF, CARGO LINER, CUSTOM- FITTED SUNSHADE, SONY GPS. LED REAR LICENSE PLATE LIGHTS. STOCK ENGINE COVER REMOVED. FULL-SIZE FACTORY SPARE W/ PACE PERFORMANCE TIRE-CHANGE KIT, Diode dynamics SL1 led lowbeams, XPEL HEADLIGHT PROTECTORS, CALIFORNIA CUSTOM EXTREMEWEAVE CAR COVER, RACERAMP FLATSTOPPERS, REDLINE ARMREST COVER, LED REVERSE LIGHTS, LED FOGLIGHTS, NO PERFORMANCE MODS FOR NOW. MAYBE SOMEDAY I'LL JUST GET A 480HP CRATE MOTOR FROM GMPERFORMANCE.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:08 PM

I just did this a few months ago.. it was a pain but was able to remove it myself. Replaced the headliner and rear deck material with black suede which was professionally rewrapped by a local shop.

This video was helpful to get me going in the removal and install process:
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG8 View Post
I just did this a few months ago.. it was a pain but was able to remove it myself. Replaced the headliner and rear deck material with black suede which was professionally rewrapped by a local shop.

This video was helpful to get me going in the removal and install process:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBnTmPU0yu4
Interesting video. Didn't know it could be taken out through the LHD driver side door.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
Interesting video. Didn't know it could be taken out through the LHD driver side door.
Yeah I couldn't remove it from the driver side. I had to slide it out from the rear door but had to bend the headliner a bit.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:59 PM

Garage
Any problems or concerns with the side curtain air bags?
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:51 AM

Were the seats in the way? What did you do with the passenger seat? Move it all the way up?
How much did you bend the headliner to get it out?
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:22 PM

Removing the back seats will make it easier. Also my rear desk fabric was coming apart like the headliner. The rear seats have to come out if you want to remove the rear deck to match the fabric.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:53 PM

I did the rear deck last year.
You are saying by removing the rear seats not the front passenger side seat, its easier to remove the headliner.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:50 AM

Yeah the front seats I had it layed down flat or pushed forward folded forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page