Removing front arrowhead - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Removing front arrowhead

I need to remove and replace the arrowhead on the front of my 09 GT, thanks to a gravel truck throwing a small rock up into the center plastic part and cracking it badly. I did do some searching on this topic but found some conflicting post so I'm asking: are there any post(s) on the back of the emblem and if so are there any clips or nuts holding it all down? I'm somewhat experienced at removing badges and occasionally putting new/different ones on but am hoping that IF there are post on the back that they aren't bolted down since getting to that area would be a real bitch.

2009 SRM: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, body-color-matched Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, body-color-matched roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 12:51 PM

There are 3 posts. 2 at the top, 1 at the bottom. There are no fasteners though. The emblem is just held on with mounting tape. A little heat (heat gun, hair dryer), and it should come off decently easy.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebg8gt View Post
There are 3 posts. 2 at the top, 1 at the bottom. There are no fasteners though. The emblem is just held on with mounting tape. A little heat (heat gun, hair dryer), and it should come off decently easy.
Thanks for the reply; sounds promising. Anyone else have a different experience? I'm asking because I heard something about 08 and 09 being a little different on the back. The replacement one I'll be putting on has no post but is otherwise identical so maybe it's aftermarket (I'm getting from another local G8 guy) but I'm pretty good at applying new double-sided tape so I'm not worried about that.

2009 SRM: Cortex tuned, Spectre Intake, VMAX ported TB, Solo HFC's, X-pipe, Solo axle-back, a few bling pieces under the hood, Billet Custom catch can, body-color-matched Holden radiator cover, "SV6" wing spoiler, GXP diffuser, body-color-matched roof spoiler, "PONTIAC" 3rd brake light insert, Holden V8/6.0 Liter badges, Holden chrome trunk strip, VG shark fin, All-Fit Auto lower front lip, drilled & slotted rotors, painted calipers, Ultra-guage, custom-made "dead pedal".

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 01:31 PM

Opted for a hair dryer over a heat gun due to the lower temperature of heat produced and the decreased likelihood of something melting or burning. Debaged the G8 shortly after making a few payments and nothing stood out regarding difficulty with removing any of the emblems or chicklets.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 10:34 PM

The IPC shows that *all* G8's use the same arrow. I do know that new ones came with locating pins on the backside to insert into matching holes in the fascia. Wouldn't surprise me to find that a used OEM arrow (removed by a previous owner) ended up shearing off the plastic locating pins. Considering how good the double sided tape is nowadays, I don't see a problem installing it with just the tape. Adhering it in just the right up/down, left/right, an tilt location might be the hardest part.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 10:40 PM

I took my stock dart off and put a TTS dart on. Early '09, it had the three pins. I used a hair dryer, nylon monofilament line (fishing line) and a plastic putty knife/spatula. Before you remove it, take some masking tape and line up with the sides of the arrowhead, or you won't have the vertical center of the arrowhead. The TTS dart is, like, a 16th bigger so I moved it up, almost until the two upper holes were seen to get it to look right.

'09 Pacific Slate G8 GT,1900 Magnacharger cog drive. Engine rebuilt by Texas Speed and Performance with some very nice parts. Airaid intake, Kooks 1 7/8" lt's, cats, midpipe, SLP PowerFlow exhaust. Pedders lowered touring package. Baer Pro front brakes. ForgeStar F14 GunMetal 19x8.5 Michelin Pilot Sport a/s. '78 El Camino. 2008 model Blue Heeler.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 09:28 PM

Garage
yeah...take your time. I pushed mine out from the back and over stressed it and started to crack the point. There's a lot of double sided foam adhesive material under there. A hair dryer or maybe some goof off could have loosened things up. I like that fishing line filament trick. Seems promising! A replacement is like +$90 and a little hard to find!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 11:02 PM

Garage
Good to know

95' Z-28 - sold
02' Wrx - sold for...
04' STi - sold
07' Wrx TR - sold
03' Lightning - sold
08' IOM G8 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page