Carbon Fiver Dive Planes - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sunder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Fuel Low

Carbon Fiber Dive Planes

I get significant front end lift at around 150+ MPH in my car, so I was trying to think of a solution. Speaking to one of my track-rat buddies he swears by the aftermarket dive planes on his Vette. I figure it can't hurt to get it a try, and I'll pair them with a splitter. The problem is so far I haven't been able to find any that are 1) specific to the G8, 2) not held in place by double sided tape, and 3) if functional, not ugly.

I tried emailing Maverick Man to see if he would build some for me but his inbox was full and my email was returned to me. Would anyone else be interested in a set if I were to find someone that could build some? I'll attach some images of what they could look like if we got some. And not to insult anyone, but dive planes are the the black attachments on the sides of the bumper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dive Planes Front.jpg (125.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Dive Planes Angle Front.jpg (131.8 KB, 54 views)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2008 G8 GT - 11.76 @116 MPH
2010 M3 E92 - Totaled
2016 Focus RS - 12.89 @110 SOLD!
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - No 1/4 mile, road courses only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 09:22 PM

I'm currently working on a splitter solution for the PPV, which has a bumper cover designed to provide lots of ground clearance. The car is lowered with SS springs (about 3/4" drop), but some sort of air control is still needed at the front....the company I'm working with has never done a G8 or SS sedan, surprisingly. A CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) was used to create a digital representation of the bottom of the bumper cover and lower deflector, which is then translated onto material to create a machined fit to the bumper and deflector surfaces. Results should be interesting.

I do realize there are already a number of front aero device options for the G8, so this may be of no consequence or interest.

I'll post pictures or a link when it's finally done--first test fitting is tomorrow.

Dive planes aren't in the plans, but a deflector to cover the front of the tire on the leading edge of the front wheel arch/opening (as it tapers inward top to bottom) is also being considered.

Bill Harper
[email protected]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 05:54 AM
every village has one

Sub'd

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 08:57 AM

There's a place in Cali called Aero Flow Dynamics that has built a full splitter kit with canards and rear diffuser for a bagged G8 owner. His instagram is San_rfc. Not sure how its attached though. I too feel like I've experienced this "lift" condition or the feeling of the front end getting light but at a much lower speed than 150. Believe it starts to happen around 120 or so.

2009 LR GT,Red/Onyx, Sport, Roof
Vararam, pypes headers, Borla X pipe, 2014 SS mufflers, Pat G custom cam, 3.45 Camaro diff, Powerhaus/ Sky tune
Koni yellows, H&R springs (cut dead coil), Polyelast strut bushings, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing arms, Whiteline radius rod, front lower control arm and rear cradle bushings, GXP Front Bumper and Diffuser,
Axis 18's, 255/40 (front), 275/40 (rear) Firestone Indy 500 Tires

12.29 @ 114
1.9 60 ft
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Fuel Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYDBPR View Post
There's a place in Cali called Aero Flow Dynamics that has built a full splitter kit with canards and rear diffuser for a bagged G8 owner.
Thanks for the tip! It looks like that was a one-off piece. I didn't see it listed in their products. I sent them an email seeing what the chances are of getting them to do a run of them. I'll update if they respond. Now to find Maverick Man...
JAYDBPR likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2008 G8 GT - 11.76 @116 MPH
2010 M3 E92 - Totaled
2016 Focus RS - 12.89 @110 SOLD!
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - No 1/4 mile, road courses only
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 12:28 PM

I thought that Maverick Man retired.... But, I could be wrong.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 01:11 PM

Garage
When talking to your buddies and you're telling them about your problem and it starts like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder View Post
I get significant front end lift at around 150+ MPH....
You know you're in 'Merica!

[SIGPIC]https://www.g8board.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic85730_2.gif[/SIGPIC]

Comp Cams 222/234 113 lsa, 1.8 roller rockers, 2800 stall, Kooks Mids, Borla Catback, Brembos, VMR V710's, Pedders XA Coilovers, Tuned it myself with HP Tuners
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackg8smatter View Post
I thought that Maverick Man retired.... But, I could be wrong.
Pretty sure he just came out with a new hood but I could be wrong. I know his website is still up and running.

2009 LR GT,Red/Onyx, Sport, Roof
Vararam, pypes headers, Borla X pipe, 2014 SS mufflers, Pat G custom cam, 3.45 Camaro diff, Powerhaus/ Sky tune
Koni yellows, H&R springs (cut dead coil), Polyelast strut bushings, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing arms, Whiteline radius rod, front lower control arm and rear cradle bushings, GXP Front Bumper and Diffuser,
Axis 18's, 255/40 (front), 275/40 (rear) Firestone Indy 500 Tires

12.29 @ 114
1.9 60 ft
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page