LED vs. HID - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 70
LED vs. HID

I've been trying to do some research on the different headlights. At first I was going to go with the HID conversion kit from retro fit source because I had read that the LEDs were not as bright as the HID, but then I saw that the thread was several years old and at the time there wasn't a LED conversion kit. Now I saw that there is a good LED conversion kit from OPT-7. So now I'm wondering if there is much of a difference since LED has come a long way in the recent years. Would love to hear from some that have tried either route. Thanks in advance.
bamagto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Member
 
BirdmanG8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Michigan
Posts: 67
My OPT-7 Fluxbeam X kit is comparable but slightly more dim than a set of 35W HID's I had before it. The Opt-7 kit can be installed and all stuffed into the headlight. With HID's you can get a 50W or more to get a higher light output but will have to drill holes in the dust covers and run wires.

Choice is based on your preferences, abilities, and time. I still love my LED's but they can be fairly dim in rain especially on black-top roads.


2009.5 LR Pontiac G8 GT Loaded
Performance/Handling:

Solo Axle Back, Pup-Cats replaced with H-pipe, Spectre CAI, H&R Lowering Springs
Appearance and More:
Apple TV, VIM, Reverse Cam, ZL1 Replicas 20x9.5 40ET, 2 Alpine Type R 12's, OPT-7 LED Highs/Lows, LED Fogs, OPT7 Aura LED Interior Lights
BirdmanG8 is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 12:29 PM
every village has one
 
tchr49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: michigan
Posts: 2,100
Never had an issue with HID's.

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
tchr49 is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 07:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Blue Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Newberry, SC
Posts: 331
Diode Dynamics has a new LED that they claim is better. The Opt7 is the best LED I have found so far (tried 4 others with different degrees of satisfaction). I did order the new DD bulb and got an e-mail that it shipped late yesterday so I'll see how it compares with the Opt7 in a few days hopefully.
GXP25 likes this.

--Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT PSM w/Sport & Premium packages -- Rotofab, GXP Diffuser, Cortex, Solo Axle Backs w/ 3.5" tips & Many "Crazy Paul" additions
2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
Blue Max is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 09:41 PM
Senior Member
 
MGMGXP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,343
Where is Diode Dynamics input?
MGMGXP is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 08:36 AM
F1rehawk
 
GTRenegade911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Brockville, Ontario
Posts: 595
Garage
I would go with the LEDs. It's newer technology and apparently runs at lower temperatures, hence lowering the chance to fry your headlight system. It is however dimmer from the HIDs. Diode Dynamics is indeed a reputable seller. Easy install too. Most kits today are plug and play.

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Kooks Long Tube Headers / HF Cats
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Tires
Shadow Chrome Camaro SS Wheels
91 Octane Tune @ JLS Tuning Performance
GTRenegade911 is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 09:33 AM
CCG8 Member
 
mjones73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North East, MD
Posts: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRenegade911 View Post
I would go with the LEDs. It's newer technology and apparently runs at lower temperatures, hence lowering the chance to fry your headlight system. It is however dimmer from the HIDs. Diode Dynamics is indeed a reputable seller. Easy install too. Most kits today are plug and play.
I believe quite a few owners have run 55 watt hids without any heat damage to the factory housings. Wiring isn't an issue with a relay harness.

I do know a few people running Opt7s and they love em too so either is a good option depending on your preference.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
mjones73 is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:47 PM
Sarcasm Personified
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,899
LED bulbs aren't going to be as good as HID bulbs, especially in an older projector lens. It's great for cars that come from factory with them. I'm still awaiting reviews of DD bulbs, haven't seen anything yet. As of now my recommendation is going to be HID if you want more visibility. If you just want a whiter looking bulb and don't care about maximum visibility, then I would say try LED.

2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
Zodiac is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 01:35 PM
Member
 
HRW5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Posts: 98
Garage
I like my HIDs from TRS. The projectors have bi-exon 35w HIDs 5500k, and then I added some OPT-7s 6000k into the high beam socket. Next I used TRS's quad high beam harness to connect it all together. I am content with the setup. HIDs were definitely brighter, but best of both worlds!



2009 LSA Swapped V6 G8


HRW5 is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Max View Post
Diode Dynamics has a new LED that they claim is better. The Opt7 is the best LED I have found so far (tried 4 others with different degrees of satisfaction). I did order the new DD bulb and got an e-mail that it shipped late yesterday so I'll see how it compares with the Opt7 in a few days hopefully.
That's correct. I posted about it here: https://www.g8board.com/forums/9-ster...ml#post3568098


#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
GXP25 is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Blue Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Newberry, SC
Posts: 331
Still waiting:

Per the USPS "The package is delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date. An updated delivery date will be provided when available. Your item arrived at our COLUMBIA SC PROCESSING CENTER destination facility on January 15, 2018 at 5:18 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

I wonder why people are using Fed Ex and UPS more and more! Looks like Saturday now before I'll have a chance to install.

--Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT PSM w/Sport & Premium packages -- Rotofab, GXP Diffuser, Cortex, Solo Axle Backs w/ 3.5" tips & Many "Crazy Paul" additions
2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
Blue Max is offline  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 3,485
HID's are the dead format. Glare is the big drawback and heat. LED's are getting better and longer lasting. You just have to not be tempted by the cheap import knock offs.

'09 PBM GT. #2 Kook's Mids, Solo Mach balanced, SCT X4 Tuner. LED H/lamps, Tail lamps and Interior
GT Drew is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 02:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagto View Post
I've been trying to do some research on the different headlights. At first I was going to go with the HID conversion kit from retro fit source because I had read that the LEDs were not as bright as the HID, but then I saw that the thread was several years old and at the time there wasn't a LED conversion kit. Now I saw that there is a good LED conversion kit from OPT-7. So now I'm wondering if there is much of a difference since LED has come a long way in the recent years. Would love to hear from some that have tried either route. Thanks in advance.
I bought the OPT-7 LEDs and one of the fans died after a year, causing the LED to fry. However, OPT-7 sent me a new set under warranty and they have been fine. As others have stated, you can fit everything in the dust cap but it is tight. I ordered spare dust caps, heated them up, and flattened out the angled section to give a little more space.

I also have a set of the 'new' Morimoto 2 stroke LED headlights from G8only. The drivers are slightly larger and they have a large heat sync instead of a fan. The drawback with these is you need to cut out the dust cap and insert cap extensions for the larger drivers. I have yet to put them in because that means I may have to cut into my Rotofab air box.

As for brightness, each LED set should state its output. The OPT-7 are pretty bright, especially in the snow here in MN. The motimoto's supposedly have a slightly higher output.
G8affair is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Blue Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Newberry, SC
Posts: 331
Swapped out the right side. DD's LED seems to throw some strange patterns on the ground about 4-6 inches "off the hood". Kind of distracting but if your driving that close to the hood lighting is probably going to be the least of your problems. With the fog lights on they seem to disappear. It doesn't appear to be as crisp of a white light but seems to throw more of a beam down the road then the Opt7. Not sure if headlights will need to be re-aimed, I lowered them a little with the Opt7s. Dust cap fit MUCH easier. Honestly was never able to put the dust cap on the passenger side light with the Opt7 but was not an issue with DD. All that being said I may also be trying to excuse spending another $100+ for a set of headlights. I'll sit back and watch the reviews other people give to see if that's the case.

My current verdict is they are very good at least as good as the Opt7. Would have a tough time picking which is best. Since I have 2 cars that use the same bulbs I will put the Opt7s in the Impala until a time comes that I feel they are better and decide to switch back ;-).

--Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT PSM w/Sport & Premium packages -- Rotofab, GXP Diffuser, Cortex, Solo Axle Backs w/ 3.5" tips & Many "Crazy Paul" additions
2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
Blue Max is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Max View Post
Swapped out the right side. DD's LED seems to throw some strange patterns on the ground about 4-6 inches "off the hood". Kind of distracting but if your driving that close to the hood lighting is probably going to be the least of your problems. With the fog lights on they seem to disappear. It doesn't appear to be as crisp of a white light but seems to throw more of a beam down the road then the Opt7. Not sure if headlights will need to be re-aimed, I lowered them a little with the Opt7s. Dust cap fit MUCH easier. Honestly was never able to put the dust cap on the passenger side light with the Opt7 but was not an issue with DD. All that being said I may also be trying to excuse spending another $100+ for a set of headlights. I'll sit back and watch the reviews other people give to see if that's the case.

My current verdict is they are very good at least as good as the Opt7. Would have a tough time picking which is best. Since I have 2 cars that use the same bulbs I will put the Opt7s in the Impala until a time comes that I feel they are better and decide to switch back ;-).
Very interesting.

And images?

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
GXP25 is offline  
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Blue Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Newberry, SC
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
Very interesting.

And images?
Took some pics this AM. Think the "whiteness" is due to the fact that the Opt7s dump a lot of light right out of the gate so the ground right in front of the car is flooded while the DDs shoot out further before lighting the road if that makes any sense. Could not get a decent shot of the pattern that the DD puts on the ground due to camera trying to compensate for lighting. Only time I really notice them, if not looking for them, is turning corners when your field of vision changes to where your going to point the car as turning. Will resize the pics for forum friendly viewing and put up as soon as I can.

--Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT PSM w/Sport & Premium packages -- Rotofab, GXP Diffuser, Cortex, Solo Axle Backs w/ 3.5" tips & Many "Crazy Paul" additions
2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
Blue Max is offline  
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 08:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 109
I have not had good luck with LED's, and HID light output has always been better. I put a set of 35w hid's in factory projectors temporarily while i do a retrofit and have been pleased with the output.

2011 GMC 2500HD CCLB LML
2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali
2009 SBM G8 V6 - LS Swapped as of 7/18/18
pl_silverado is offline  
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Blue Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Newberry, SC
Posts: 331
Excuse the so-so quality I was running late and it was cold... well cold for South Carolina





--Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT PSM w/Sport & Premium packages -- Rotofab, GXP Diffuser, Cortex, Solo Axle Backs w/ 3.5" tips & Many "Crazy Paul" additions
2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
Blue Max is offline  
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 70
Those pictures are with the DDs in, correct?
bamagto is offline  
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 12:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Blue Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Newberry, SC
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagto View Post
Those pictures are with the DDs in, correct?
OPT7 in driver side DD in passenger side for comparison

--Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT PSM w/Sport & Premium packages -- Rotofab, GXP Diffuser, Cortex, Solo Axle Backs w/ 3.5" tips & Many "Crazy Paul" additions
2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
Blue Max is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome