Spec D / Spyder tail lights - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Spec D / Spyder tail lights

Allrighty.

Been on the fence about buying either of these for awhile but I went out to start the car up in the garage for the winter and saw moisture in both my headlights and in my taillights .

I've heard good and bad about the headlights.

Is there any fitment issues?
Additional wiring I need to know?
Was either debating on the Spec- D or trying to find a set of stock ones smoked. Or if the Spec D are worth it finding a set smoked.

Any bads about the taillights?
Smoked not smoked?

Need some opinions

Cars black on black with blank tint. Don't have a picture at the moment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 10:47 AM

Condensation will happen since the headlights and tail light lenses are not sealed. Buying the after market lights will not be any different.
Best thing you can do is make sure the gaskets on the rear lights are seated OK so they don't let water in. On the front the dust caps are seated and snug.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 12:00 PM

I bought these spyder smoked taillights about 2-3 years ago. installation was pretty easy and instructions were spot on. Mine is PBM also and I don't have a pic but they look great. Something to think about and I had this problem. A few months ago, the drivers side BRAKE light went out. Took out the unit and did a complete wiring test on it since the bulb wasn't the problem. It was actually part of the INSIDE of the lamp and could NOT be repaired...............so I ordered a NEW set (can't buy just one side). One other thing and this is very important.....................when your units arrive (and they are very well packed), take them out and carefully look them over. Unfortunately, I didn't look them over as well as I should have. One part of the passenger side unit was broken off (this is the part that comes to a sharp point on the fender area). Doesn't affect the function but if you look closely, you can see where that small area is broken. They would NOT accept a return.............so am stuck with it. Other than that, I am very happy with the ease of install (10 minutes) and the look.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 09:59 AM
Site Sponsor

Hi there, we've been selling lights by both Spyder and Spec-D for years already. They are custom fit, yet aftermarket lights may take different bulb size, compared to the OE lights. So if you plan using the OE bulbs with the new lights, it's better to check what will be the bulb size in the set of lights you've got. Now, if you decide to pick smoked lights, check, if it is legal to drive with tinted lenses in your state. Both Spyder and Specd lights are backed up with 1 year warranty.
Here are the headlight options we carry for your Pontiac:
Pontiac G8 Headlights

Pontiac G8 http://www.carid.com/pontiac-g8-accessories/

Call Toll Free: 800.505.3274 | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | YouTube

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 02:10 PM

I can't speak for the taillights. I have the spec-d headlights with an hid retrofit. I don't drive the car a lot, but I haven't had any issues.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320goat View Post
I can't speak for the taillights. I have the spec-d headlights with an hid retrofit. I don't drive the car a lot, but I haven't had any issues.
A full retrofit with aftermarket HID projectors, or just a HID kit installed in the Spec-D protectors?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMGXP View Post
A full retrofit with aftermarket HID projectors, or just a HID kit installed in the Spec-D protectors?
Morimoto hid projectors. Low beam only. They sell projector kits specifically for spec d headlights.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:56 PM

I also have these tail lights and my brake lights have stopped working. Is there no one that has opened these and replaced the LED's in side of them,. If so let me know, it's causing me to fail safety inspection
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Not to rez a dead thread.

Does anyone have any pictures of there g8 [ black preffeably]

With these tail lights?
I'm not sure if I wanna go with the standard or go with the smoked ones since my car has a black and silver theme going on.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Lift Him Up

Garage
retrofitted my Spec-d lights and etched the lenses...when I resealed them, I used the product the Morimoto sales and haven't had a issue with condensation yet, the rears haven't given me an issue either
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (70.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg rear corner.jpg (80.9 KB, 38 views)

As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak040 View Post
retrofitted my Spec-d lights and etched the lenses...when I resealed them, I used the product the Morimoto sales and haven't had a issue with condensation yet, the rears haven't given me an issue either

Are those the smoked or normal rear ones?
Overall do you like the Spec D over the stock headlights? Not to Ricery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page