Ram air hole - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Ram air hole

I wasn't sure what to call this post......but I basically chopped a hole in the front bumper. I know I may well get crucified on here for this, or at least sternly criticized, but I want a GXP bumper eventually anyhow, so I'm not to scared of ruining this one, and I really wanted to see how it would look.
I've run Vararam's on my previous 2 GT's, but on this one, I decided to go with a Volant, partly on price - they are so damn cheap now......and partly on the fact that the Vararam filters get dirty so quick, and are kind of a pain in the ass to get out and back in. (And yes, I did swap a cone K&N into the Volant)
Once I took a good look at the snorkel setup and positioning on the Volant, I decided the car would look good with a carbon duct (particular one I've used before on a Nissan 350Z - search Ebay and you'll see they are made for that car), but I think the shape of it compliments the G8 as well.
Where I've placed it, it's shoving air directly into the Volant snorkel. I don't want to get into all my other mods so far, or what I have planned, as this is purely an aesthetic post concerning the cosmetics of the car and offering this to anyone else who might want to do the same.
I cut the hole with a dremel, and had to trim off just a little piece of the bumper reinforcement bar behind it - but that was also just soft plastic, no metal cutting.
The whole job set me back about $40, including the carbon duct.

PS- I know I'm missing my lug nut covers - I've been playing with a few different sets of rims and still trying to decide which way to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180219_154520_682-20180219-154631527.jpg (144.3 KB, 87 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 04:50 PM

Nice gape.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 04:56 PM

Looks better than I thought it would when I first saw the title. I wonder how much of an improvement this is versus the trimming of the back of the lower grill by the fog light.

2009.5 SBM GT: Lots of show with some go.
The garage queen.

2008 IOM GT: Some go, working on the show.
The daily driver.

2004 Blazer Xtreme: Lots of go.
Sold and will be missed.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 05:13 PM

Actually looks pretty good.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]K&N CAI, Pypes headers, Solo HFC's,Solo axle backs, Custom tune, FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.Little lunati cam,SLP 25 %UDP, AC tensioner upgrade.15% tint.12" sub woofer with amp.Future upgrade Power slot rotors & posi quiet pads.

V6 Spectre CAI, Original Overkill tune,FE3 Struts & Shocks, White line bushings & bearings, BMR Rear Cradle inserts, Moog end links.12" sub woofer with amp.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 05:15 PM

Garage
Duct doesn't look half bad. There's another version of this mod that cuts off the back side of the driver's side lower grill to simulate the same effect.

Terry Scott
San Antonio, TX
2009 G8 GXP - Sport Red Metallic (#821 of 1829 / #33 of 74 as Optioned)
Roto-Fab Intake with Amsoil Dry Filter / HSRK / Kooks 1-7/8 Mids / SOLO Mach Shorty (Unbalanced) Catback / Pat G Tune / Norris Motorsports Gen2 Catch Can / BMR Swaybars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / Tein S-Tech Springs / Koni Shocks & Struts / Whiteline Rear Cradle Bushings / Whiteline Strut Bushings /

400 RWHP / 391 RWTQ
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 06:41 PM

Looks half decent I think. Taking air from the front like that will probably get the filter just as dirty as your old Vararam.

2009 G8 GT, White Hot, Cortex, Camaro Trans Pan, VCM Intake, GXP Mufflers
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 06:55 PM

I may consider getting one and trying it on the lower grill next to the fog light.

2009.5 SBM GT: Lots of show with some go.
The garage queen.

2008 IOM GT: Some go, working on the show.
The daily driver.

2004 Blazer Xtreme: Lots of go.
Sold and will be missed.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard302 View Post
Looks half decent I think. Taking air from the front like that will probably get the filter just as dirty as your old Vararam.
I considered that, however there is at least a 6" space between the duct and the Vararam intake port, where I'm hoping heavier objects like bugs will fall with gravity, and that was really my biggest gripe with the Vararam. Sometimes in late summer here in Texas the bugs are very thick.
Really I was just wanting to force as much air into that pocket as possible to keep temps lower.......if it were a track only race car, the duct would be much larger and directly hooked up to the intake box.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneepucker View Post
I considered that, however there is at least a 6" space between the duct and the Vararam intake port, where I'm hoping heavier objects like bugs will fall with gravity, and that was really my biggest gripe with the Vararam. Sometimes in late summer here in Texas the bugs are very thick.
Really I was just wanting to force as much air into that pocket as possible to keep temps lower.......if it were a track only race car, the duct would be much larger and directly hooked up to the intake box.
Cool. Time will tell. On all my previous cars, I have always used a stock airbox and ran pretty good times at the drag strip. I got a VCM for this car kind of on a whim. We'll see if frequent dirty filters bother me. Let us know how you think it's working in a few months.

2009 G8 GT, White Hot, Cortex, Camaro Trans Pan, VCM Intake, GXP Mufflers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page