• 1 Post By Jova007200
  • 1 Post By Blue Max
  • 1 Post By ebg8gt
  • 1 Post By ClarkWGriswald1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Vinyl Wrap Door Handle (Interior)

I'm curious. Has anybody wrapped the door handles inside?

I'm changing the accent colors to a Bronze or Copper color (satin or light brushed pattern). I'll be able to get the steering wheel and the various trim pieces, but the big question marks are the door handles. Just wrap the outward facing parts of the handles?

With heat, are the wraps pliable enough to stretch around the entire handle like shrink wrap? Haven't used the stuff before.

I think I can get the rest of the pieces. It would suck to get everything but the handles.
blackg8smatter likes this.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 07:14 AM

I used 3M vinyl to do many parts inside my car. If you heat it up with a hair dryer it acts almost like cloth. Suggest you "play" with it wrapping other items to see how it works and what you need to do. The first few pieces I did were OK but the more experience I had the better the later parts looked.

Good luck
Bowlgod likes this.

--Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT PSM w/Sport & Premium packages -- Rotofab, GXP Diffuser, Cortex, Solo Axle Backs w/ 3.5" tips & Many "Crazy Paul" additions
2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I guess it's gonna just be "Dive right in." Got lots of parts to practice with, at least. Some broken ones that'll do nicely.

First I gotta get some color samples.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:19 AM

I went with the carbon fiber... or rather carbon fibber look myself.

Haven't attacked the steering wheel, messing with the air bag scares me a little too much.

--Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT PSM w/Sport & Premium packages -- Rotofab, GXP Diffuser, Cortex, Solo Axle Backs w/ 3.5" tips & Many "Crazy Paul" additions
2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Looks good. I still need to get some color samples. I have heard the airbag is easy to get out, but I'm a little apprehensive about it as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
Looks good. I still need to get some color samples. I have heard the airbag is easy to get out, but I'm a little apprehensive about it as well.
It's not that bad.

To actually get the trim off, you need to remove the entire steering wheel though. There are screws on the back that hold the trim on. If you want more info, happy to provide.
Bowlgod likes this.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebg8gt View Post
It's not that bad.

To actually get the trim off, you need to remove the entire steering wheel though. There are screws on the back that hold the trim on. If you want more info, happy to provide.
Ditto. I just did my wheel swap last weekend, I read through the instructions about 15 times before tackling removal. Plastic trim on the steering column really fought me, that was a pain. Unhooking battery and removing fuse are key things to do, I also tried to limit moving the wheel much so nothing would get out of whack.

I say go for it, you'll be surprised how simple it is if you don't rush it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Bowlgod likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'09 WH G8 GT
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswald1 View Post
Ditto. I just did my wheel swap last weekend, I read through the instructions about 15 times before tackling removal. Plastic trim on the steering column really fought me, that was a pain. Unhooking battery and removing fuse are key things to do, I also tried to limit moving the wheel much so nothing would get out of whack.

I say go for it, you'll be surprised how simple it is if you don't rush it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Not to thread jack the OP but that's kind of what I'm waiting for figure better chance of not screwing it up if I only have to take it apart once. Just need to get some funds for the wheel.

--Brian

2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:53 PM

In a way, I wish I had wrapped my steering wheel trim, just cuz I had it off, but I still like the silver.

The swap really isn't too difficult. If I did it again, I bet I could swap just a steering wheel in 30 minutes. It's the "oh s**t" factor of dealing with the airbag for the first time, and also trying to remove it essentially blindly.

Back to vinyl wrapping. Don't get it too hot or it can tear. I'm going to be attempting a wrap on my upper window trim soon. We'll see how it goes.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I usually make sure I have plenty of left overs. I plan on practicing on some broken parts first to get a feel for how hot it can get and how pliable it will be.

It's similar to the fabric coverings I'm adding to the upper pillar trims... I think I decided on right fabric, but now I need a practice piece or two (and actual fabric).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
It's not that bad.

Looking at taking my steering wheel off to wrap the silver trim wondering if there is instructions anywhere on taking everything apart or if you can share how to? Also any instructions on removing center console trim? I am fixing to install some electric cutouts and would like to bring wires up through shifter and have a switch mounted some where but I am really good at breaking stuff so I would like to have some instructions before tackling. Thanks.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:30 AM
CCG8 Member

It's easy to pull the handles out of the doors then out of the trim buckets, that would make life easier I think trying to wrap them.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ended up fully disassembling the handle back when I did it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittybuilt View Post
Looking at taking my steering wheel off to wrap the silver trim wondering if there is instructions anywhere on taking everything apart or if you can share how to? Also any instructions on removing center console trim? I am fixing to install some electric cutouts and would like to bring wires up through shifter and have a switch mounted some where but I am really good at breaking stuff so I would like to have some instructions before tackling. Thanks.
Not 100% sure about this site but I printed mine from the other site. It's under Crazy Paul's section.

--Brian

2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
It's not that bad.

So if you take off the wheel the silver trim is possible to be removed and painted?

PONTIAC
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:27 AM

yes the trim is removable from the steering wheel
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunbirdTurbo88 View Post
So if you take off the wheel the silver trim is possible to be removed and painted?
Yes, it's simple to take off. 6-8 screws, and a little bit of tape.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:38 AM

What kind of paint do you use on interior trim parts?

PONTIAC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page