Chevy ss steering wheel - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Chevy ss steering wheel

Tried doing a search and didnt really find anything on this. I have seen as steering wheels and air bags go for a fairly decent price(300ish for wheel and bag). Seems like a cheaper alternative to the higher priced GXP steering wheel. I might give this a shot by purchasing a wheel, air bag from an ss or caprice/ppv and swap out the bag emblems. Any input would nice. It's not a huge savings but I kinda like the ss wheel better anyway

08 white g8gt....some bolt ons, gxp front fascia and rear defuser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 09:10 AM

Garage
I could be completely wrong, but I can't imagine that the electronics on the SS wheel would work on the G8. Plus, although it's a very nice wheel, I don't think it matches the G8 interior at all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2009 SRM Premium and Sport Packages, Kooks 1 7/8" LTs w/ Cats, Corsa Cat-Back, Pat G Tune, CTS-V Brembos, RotoFab CAI, GXP Diffuser, Holden SS Steering Wheel, Holden Omega iQ Head Unit, VG Sharkfin, Homelink
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 10:27 AM

SWC on the G8 merely maps to direct connections and a resistor ladder. Reference https://www.g8board.com/forums/9-ster...tml#post712719
It's likely you could create a simple adapter to use the controls that do map to the G8 for this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 10:47 AM
CCG8 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afgun View Post
SWC on the G8 merely maps to direct connections and a resistor ladder. Reference https://www.g8board.com/forums/9-ster...tml#post712719
It's likely you could create a simple adapter to use the controls that do map to the G8 for this.
Pretty sure the canbus is completely different so yeah, you'd need something to do the translation (which would add to the cost)

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:50 PM

The CANBUS on the G8 is generated by the IPC. What I suggest might be possible is to map the buttons to the connections going from the SWC to the IPC. Or if you prefer, you could use an Arduino or similar to send the CANBUS messages directly and bypass the IPC. Either way would be interesting to see how it works out. I am of course assuming that there's no CANBUS module directly in the SS SWC. I don't have access to the wiring schematic to determine that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page