Gravel/Stones in Passenger Footwell?? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Question Gravel/Stones in Passenger Footwell??

Twice recently, I found a pile of debris on the right-hand side of the front passenger floormat where the ball of the right foot would be when sitting straight (small stones/rocks/gravel etc.). It's a mostly circular pile, about 3 inches across, and the debris crumbles a little when you apply some pressure.

I rarely have passengers, and I just got new mats a few days ago.

My best guess is that something is falling out around the slotted under-panel, but the foam and its adhesive were completely clean. Forgot to get a pic, sorry.

All ideas are appreciated.

2009 White Hot G8 GT, Premium, Sport, Roto-Fab, Cortex, Magnaflows, X-pipe, door dings, curb rash, backup cam

Last edited by digger10t; 06-11-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 08:10 PM

You anywhere near Gatewell, Kentucky? You may be a victim of the infamous Gatewell Gravel Monster, whose fewmets resemble kitty litter. He is believed to be the offspring of a wandering Chucacabra and an Australian Drop Bear who was imported by Quantas for a photo session and then escaped.

Or else somebody, who you forgot about, maybe you, tracked in some debris.

I know which story I'd tell to my buddies!

Gone but not forgotten: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Premium, Sport. Tune is "Down Under" by Men At Work.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Believe me, i absolutely understand how CRAZY this sounds. That said, I was just hoping for a simple explanation like torn cabin filter.

On the plus side, when i took out the filter there was a ton of debris and it was flowing the wrong direction...so at least i had a chance to fix that.

2009 White Hot G8 GT, Premium, Sport, Roto-Fab, Cortex, Magnaflows, X-pipe, door dings, curb rash, backup cam

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 09:50 PM

You would hope that the dirty filter was doing its part. All the air has to get thru that filter, then the fan blades, and then thru the evaporator, before all of that outside air enters the cabin. If that stuff came from the outside (using that route), I think your evaporator will eventually suffer big time. Now if you have the cabin air supply in the recirc mode a lot, maybe its finding a source of disintegrated foam like substance. But even that would have to go thru the evaporator, an that's still not good. Maybe there is some small opening (say) at some area behind the passenger side kick panel (as an example) that creates a negative pressure zone when driving along. An it sucks up small light weight items from the outside an dumps them in that general area. Sounds kinda far fetched actually. I guess I'm thinking a little to far out of the box on this one.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 08:48 AM

Do you park in a garage or outside?

If outside, do not underestimate the ******* nature of a mouse. On my Passat TDI (before the G8), I once found acorns in my air box, and a nest under the engine cover. Also a couple of chewed up injector wires. Luckily it ran fine until VW bought it back.

Could still happen in a garage, but less likely.

edit: apparently a-hole gets censored. lol

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebg8gt View Post
Do you park in a garage or outside?

If outside, do not underestimate the ******* nature of a mouse. On my Passat TDI (before the G8), I once found acorns in my air box, and a nest under the engine cover. Also a couple of chewed up injector wires. Luckily it ran fine until VW bought it back.

Could still happen in a garage, but less likely.

edit: apparently a-hole gets censored. lol
Interesting idea...my car actually does sit about 5 feet from a large wooded park. Im not sure how well sealed the downstream ducting is, but as has been posted before, replacement filters usually dont seal completely, mine included.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger10t View Post
Interesting idea...my car actually does sit about 5 feet from a large wooded park. Im not sure how well sealed the downstream ducting is, but as has been posted before, replacement filters usually dont seal completely, mine included.
I'd definitely start searching for evidence of a small critter.

2009 PBM GT
Under the Knife Again
Wiseco Pistons, K1 Rods, Johnson Lifters, BLP Keep Hatin' PDS Cam, Roto-Fab, BLP Ported Intake and Throttle Body, Kooks 1-7/8 long tubes, XForce Varex Catback, ZL1 Converter, Camaro Trans Pan/Filter, GXP Brembos
Breyton GTS-AV Wheels, 6k HIDs, Holden Steering Wheel and Paddle Shifters, Eibach Springs, 35% Tint
Tuned by Day Tuning
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 06:02 AM

I worked at a Rolls Royce dealer a long time ago, there was a brand new Phantom that had engine bay damage due to rats/mice. The owner was pissed. Called his housekeeper right there in front of me. It's actually much more common than you would think. Critters build nests, chew wires, etc.

2009 G8 GT, White Hot, Cortex, Camaro Trans Pan, VCM Intake, GXP Mufflers
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:51 PM

In hopes of avoiding rat or mice infestation, keep a stuffed animal under the car whenever it is parked outside for long periods of time. Periodically, will move it around so the fake animal won't be too obvious...laughing out loud. May only serve to soothe one's conscious, but no issues as of yet other than when someone/something "borrowed" and has yet to return Pikachu...shaking my head.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 07:58 PM

I vote mouse as well - any luck getting to the bottom of it? The fact it happened two different times definitely makes me think there's something alive there. Had that happen in my old Subaru - had a whole family living in it!

2009.5 G8 GXP WH 6M onyx roof/tint - stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page