Thinking about Plasti-Dipping - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By PONY MAN

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
F1rehawk

Garage
Thinking about Plasti-Dipping

I was quoted around 900$CDN to recoat a fender and bumper and respray the lower trim under the doors and that's the cheapest I found for that job.

I did some research lately and it seems plasti-dip has come a long way. When professionally applied, the finish is actually silky smooth. I used to do it myself with cans on some portions of previous owned cars in the past but always ended up with a ****ty rough finish and hated it. Called it the dust collector.

I'm thinking about going Stealth Gray. I think it would look decent with the SRM engine bay. Not that I care much but still. Maybe have a SRM Bathurst stripe on the hood as accent.

No more waxing, no more polishing. If it chips you respray. I would lose the shine but I think that matte color would look badass. Don't even need to dry the car. And it's around the same price for the whole car vs fixing the paint.

Life expectancy is about 5 years in regular condition but mine is a garage queen so I could probably squeeze out some more years.

Found this one online, love it. What do you guys think? I have the V2 lip and black chrome Camaro SS Wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dff2848c78aaf99829bb005289c72616--big-shot-chevy-ss.jpg (10.9 KB, 49 views)

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Kooks Long Tube Headers / HF Cats
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Tires
Shadow Chrome Camaro SS Wheels
91 Octane Tune @ JLS Tuning Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 07:57 AM

Give it a shot. You can always peel it off. Most folks have issues when they donít use proper technique ar not enough dip. And PD has good after care products as well.

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
F1rehawk

Garage
Yeah I definitely plan on getting a company to do it professionally. I attempted painting the chrome accents on the G8 once and let's just say I will not try that again.

Kits are about 400$CDN and I'm expecting double to get it done.

So many colors to choose from though....just need to find one that won't look stupid with the SRM engine bay and probably hinges, etc.

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Solo Mach Shorty Catback

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 04:02 AM

Would select a color and see how it turns out. Plus, its seemingly ease of removal is certainly ap-peal-ing. Couldn't resist. Good luck
hexagod and ekt8750 like this.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
F1rehawk

Garage
Haha. Better choose the right color the first time though!

I know a company in Quebec that have been in the business for a couple years. I'm sure they could help me select the best color. Im really heading towards matte gunmetal grey with burgundy bathurst or fender stripes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (8.5 KB, 28 views)

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 04:27 AM

Are there other pros bedsides no waxing nor polishing? Cons? Maintenance requirements?

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
F1rehawk

Garage
Another advantage is that apparently you don't need to dry the car after washing it. The rubberized surface will dry itself quickly without leaving streaks.

With 8-10 coats applied, I also believe it would be harder to chip than our cheap GM paint. And if it does you can simply get the section resprayed. I read most people get the bumper resprayed every 5 years at a fraction of the cost.

Also keeps protects the paint underneath. It will have the same finish you left it at when you decide to remove the Plasti-dip.

One of the cons is that you have to be careful at the pump station not to send any gasoline on the car. Plasti-dip reacts poorly with gas and it will really damage the finish. They sell a tool you put on the actual gasoline gun to avoid drips.

Most finishes are matte, which does not please everyone.

Another con is that you most likely have to get it done professionally so it doesn't look like a 5$ job.

No maintenance requirement at all. They sell a special soap but any car soap will do. You have to use a special rubberized rag. I also wouldn't use a pressure washer but most say its fine when applied properly.

In the end, you save tons of money and time of car paint products. I used to enjoy polishing my car but it can become a curse when you are a perfectionist and want your car to look perfect. I see nicks and swirls from a mile away haha.

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 07:52 AM

Am thinking now, but wonder how the plasti-dip would fare in triple digit temperatures? At any rate, this might be a viable alternative considering skyrocketing labor and paint supplies costs.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 12:48 PM

Mines held up well on my wheels for 3+ years in N.C. summers. No problem.

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:04 PM

I highly suggest it! I had my car dipped, and it lasted a few years up here in Michigan winters, and long road trips. I just simply got tired of it (and worried about how it looked underneath) so I eventually peeled it off myself.

I had it professionally done, and the outcome was incredible. They did a great job, no bubbles or peels or anything like that. I do my wheel inserts on my own, and those too have lasted thru multiple rough Michigan winters. I will add this - I even get lazy from time to time and take the car through automatic car washes. The dip did great, and I never had an issue with it.

I miss it like crazy, and all the compliments I got on it, but yeah... too expensive to have it done again, and too expensive to do at home and risk screwing up the application.

Attached a few pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1419626707331.jpg (69.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20141105_164245.jpg (155.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20141130_161910.jpg (145.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20141105_164230.jpg (152.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20141105_124629.jpg (148.9 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page