Holden front end conversion question - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Holden front end conversion question

Besides the obvious hood, bumper, grilles..., are there any other little parts involved in doing a front end Holden conversion? Hood latches, wiring, etc? Searches bringing up minimal results...

Gisele - 2009 Sport Red Metallic 3.6L
TS|S Concept Badge
Holden Wheel Caps
Roto-Fab CAI
Hood Vent Mod
X Pipe
Super Sport Steering Wheel
Holden Air Bag
VG Sharkfin
GXP Diffuser
Sold 5/3/19...

Persephone - 2009 Maverick Silver Metallic 6.0
Mods coming soon...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 12:25 PM

If no answer here, JHP Vehicle Enhancements sells the conversion kit and it might be worthwhile to inquire with them via an email. Good luck
Creature likes this.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 08:37 PM
boosted

you'll need the splash guard and bumper crash bar, fog lights, trim bezels and a bunch of money.. I opted not to get the hood and modify my 6LE hood to sorta work

LTUNA03, GXP25, SeattleGXP and 3 others like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Magnacharged 09 G8GT

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Pony, that was gonna be my next stop. Thanks victory, your car looks killer! How did you mod the hood to fit? I always read that the hood was too long to fit the bumper properly.

TS|S Concept Badge
Holden Wheel Caps
Roto-Fab CAI
Hood Vent Mod
X Pipe
Holden Air Bag
VG Sharkfin
GXP Diffuser
Sold 5/3/19...

Mods coming soon...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 02:02 PM
boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature View Post
Thanks Pony, that was gonna be my next stop. Thanks victory, your car looks killer! How did you mod the hood to fit? I always read that the hood was too long to fit the bumper properly.

The hood comes down over the grille as you can see, it doesn't stick out past the bumper, it just covers the top of the grille. Basically the only thing I did was make a filler panel out of fiberglass to fill the front.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Magnacharged 09 G8GT
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:15 AM

I mean the grill being a bit recessed and the hood covering it up a little, I think that looks pretty good anyhow. Did you end up piecing those parts together yourself? I'm pretty interested in doing something like that myself.

RIP GXP M6 MGM - 201704
NOW: GXP M6 MGM - Stock (allegedly)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 12:29 PM
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 12:32 PM
F1rehawk

Garage
That is a ton of money to spend on a V6. Why not get the far superior GT instead? I respect your choice, just curious.
hexagod likes this.

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Kooks Long Tube Headers / HF Cats
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Tires
Shadow Chrome Camaro SS Wheels
91 Octane Tune @ JLS Tuning Performance
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRenegade911 View Post
That is a ton of money to spend on a V6. Why not get the far superior GT instead? I respect your choice, just curious.
I wanted the GT, but the only ones available at the time were either too expensive or beat to hell. The V6 was clean with low mileage for a good price, and I needed a car, so that's what I got. I'd consider trading up in the right situation, but she's got some sentimental value so I'd rather just mod and build her up the way I want.

TS|S Concept Badge
Holden Wheel Caps
Roto-Fab CAI
Hood Vent Mod
X Pipe
Holden Air Bag
VG Sharkfin
GXP Diffuser
Sold 5/3/19...

Mods coming soon...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:20 PM
F1rehawk

Garage
Quote:
I wanted the GT, but the only ones available at the time were either too expensive or beat to hell. The V6 was clean with low mileage for a good price, and I needed a car, so that's what I got. I'd consider trading up in the right situation, but she's got some sentimental value so I'd rather just mod and build her up the way I want.
That's awesome. Will be unique for sure!
Creature likes this.

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Kooks Long Tube Headers / HF Cats
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Tires
Shadow Chrome Camaro SS Wheels
91 Octane Tune @ JLS Tuning Performance
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 02:08 AM

I had mine done years ago, 2013, I believe. I found the spoiler on flea-bay for less that $150, painted. It required drilling four (I think) new holes and filling the ones for the original G8 spoiler.

If you order from JHP, make sure everything is included. I seem to remember having to place a second order to get the impact absorber. They used to have "kits" of badges and stuff but don't know if they still do. I have done everything - boot badges, front end, airbag, wheel centre caps, even swapped the speedo for a proper Australian one with metric speeds (0-260 km/h).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_8489-email.jpg (98.5 KB, 26 views)
SeattleGXP and hexagod like this.

'08 G8 - VE Commodore SV6 - HW, Sunroof, Premium, Comfort & Sound
Mods: Commodore Conversion (Front Bar/Grille, Bonnet, Spoiler, Badges, Wheel Centre Caps) Steering Wheel Airbag, Holden Cluster, Leather Console Lid, Holden Shift Knob; Auto-Dimming Mirror (w/o airbag nag), S2 IQ Radio, VG Shark Fin
, Aspheric Door Mirrors, Exterior Boot Release, GMH Rear Window Sunshade, GMH Radiator Cover, GT Boot Lid Liner, GT 2.92 L.S.D., Parking Sensors, Reverse Cam.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Same situation I was in when I bought my V6, no regrets.
Good luck with the body mods. Its neat where you can go with swapping body panels.
Couple of owners up here have went with the flea-bay spoiler with excellent results but it is a bigger spoiler in person than it appears in the ad, in my eyes anyway.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8carl View Post
I had mine done years ago, 2013, I believe. I found the spoiler on flea-bay for less that $150, painted. It required drilling four (I think) new holes and filling the ones for the original G8 spoiler.

If you order from JHP, make sure everything is included. I seem to remember having to place a second order to get the impact absorber. They used to have "kits" of badges and stuff but don't know if they still do. I have done everything - boot badges, front end, airbag, wheel centre caps, even swapped the speedo for a proper Australian one with metric speeds (0-260 km/h).
g8carl I've seen your car pop up quite a few times during my searches here, looks awesome! And that spoiler has been in my flea-bay watched items for a while now, but I'm still on the fence about it... As far as the major parts go, I may have lucked out to where I won't have to sell a kidney to JHP for the kit, hence my question about any smaller parts needed. I have the airbag, wheel caps and badges also, I'll probably get a gauge face to replace the Pontiac one. And any extra info you might have about the conversion is most welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS G8 View Post
Same situation I was in when I bought my V6, no regrets.
Good luck with the body mods. Its neat where you can go with swapping body panels.
Couple of owners up here have went with the flea-bay spoiler with excellent results but it is a bigger spoiler in person than it appears in the ad, in my eyes anyway.
None here either BAS, of every car I've owned she's by far my favorite, it's really cool how much can be done to make it unique. The stars might have aligned for me on this one, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this conversion! I'm still in the air about that spoiler though... If I do it at all I might spend the extra for the OEM.

TS|S Concept Badge
Holden Wheel Caps
Roto-Fab CAI
Hood Vent Mod
X Pipe
Holden Air Bag
VG Sharkfin
GXP Diffuser
Sold 5/3/19...

Mods coming soon...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:59 PM

Changing just the face of the speedo will work if you only want it for cosmetic purposes. The Holden speedo has 100km/h (62mph) at top centre. That's where 70 is on the G8 speedo. Of course, the digital in the DIC will read true, regardless of whether you have it set to English or Metric.

As for the spoiler, I remember the flea (or is it "flee"?) bay seller's name had "spoiler" in it, like "spoiler source", "spoiler company", something like that. The paint matched perfectly and it came with the gaskets that go between the spoiler and trunk skin.
Creature likes this.

Mods: Commodore Conversion (Front Bar/Grille, Bonnet, Spoiler, Badges, Wheel Centre Caps) Steering Wheel Airbag, Holden Cluster, Leather Console Lid, Holden Shift Knob; Auto-Dimming Mirror (w/o airbag nag), S2 IQ Radio, VG Shark Fin
, Aspheric Door Mirrors, Exterior Boot Release, GMH Rear Window Sunshade, GMH Radiator Cover, GT Boot Lid Liner, GT 2.92 L.S.D., Parking Sensors, Reverse Cam.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 10:02 PM

Back in August there was a guy selling a roller G8 with the Holden conversion on CL in Philadelphia for like 5k. I considered buying it, but shipping on a car with no engine is more expensive than one that moves under its own power. It was the same color as my car so I could have swapped front ends and resold it... You are a lot closer to him than me, but not sure if he still has it. I have had zero luck getting a wrecker in Australia to ship anything bigger than the airbag.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 10:06 PM

I plan on getting this face for my gauges, supposed to be a direct swap for the G8 ones. Not as cool as the real deal Aussie ones, but pretty close. https://www.blackcatcustom.com/g8.htm
Nightfall likes this.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8carl View Post
Changing just the face of the speedo will work if you only want it for cosmetic purposes. The Holden speedo has 100km/h (62mph) at top centre. That's where 70 is on the G8 speedo. Of course, the digital in the DIC will read true, regardless of whether you have it set to English or Metric.

As for the spoiler, I remember the flea (or is it "flee"?) bay seller's name had "spoiler" in it, like "spoiler source", "spoiler company", something like that. The paint matched perfectly and it came with the gaskets that go between the spoiler and trunk skin.
I might just consider that Holden speedo, thanks for the idea, any pics of yours? Did you have to get it flashed to reset the mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1nova71 View Post
Back in August there was a guy selling a roller G8 with the Holden conversion on CL in Philadelphia for like 5k. I considered buying it, but shipping on a car with no engine is more expensive than one that moves under its own power. It was the same color as my car so I could have swapped front ends and resold it... You are a lot closer to him than me, but not sure if he still has it. I have had zero luck getting a wrecker in Australia to ship anything bigger than the airbag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls1nova71 View Post
I plan on getting this face for my gauges, supposed to be a direct swap for the G8 ones. Not as cool as the real deal Aussie ones, but pretty close. https://www.blackcatcustom.com/g8.htm
Quick search on CL Philly got no results, but that could've been interesting... That face was the one I was looking at too, but now g8carl has me thinking about spending even more money!

TS|S Concept Badge
Holden Wheel Caps
Roto-Fab CAI
Hood Vent Mod
X Pipe
Holden Air Bag
VG Sharkfin
GXP Diffuser
Sold 5/3/19...

Mods coming soon...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Creature; 11-30-2018 at 02:47 PM. Reason: forgot to add question
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 08:26 PM

The series 2 ve bumper cover requires different headlights.
What I did was got an aftermarket set from au and took them apart and used the g8 back half. I basically just installed the clear front lense cover on the g8 lights.

2008 GT-M PMB #885
With stuff and things.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 07:46 PM

I believe JHP still has Series 1 kits available, but they are no longer listed. You have to make an enquiry to get the info.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:24 PM
Hsv Gts Pimp

Is Crazy Paul still in the game? I haven't been on forums much for years.

09 LR Gt- Vector Stage II with larger cam, Yank 3200, Vararam, tranny cooler, HSRK, Stainless Works 1 7/8 LT's, offroad x-pipe, and SW catback, dual gauge pod, AeroForce gauges.
447rwhp / 411rwtq

Big thanks to Crazy Paul for all his help.

99 Viper GTS - 1 of 22
15 Bmw 335i M-Sport Xdrive
08 Charger Srt-8 Superbee
13 ZL1 Vert'
76 Corvette L82 Stingray
06 Jeep Srt-8
08 Altima coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page