Polk speaker replacement GXP Pic heavy - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve R

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Polk speaker replacement GXP Pic heavy

The first thing I decided to do with my new to me GXP was to replace all the factory speakers with Polk units .As we all know the factory speakers are less than good so after some research I chose to go with Polk DB651S for all four doors ,Polk DB351 for the center and POLK DB840DVC's for the rear deck subs. These are all 4OHM speakers ( more about that later. First some pics Here are the DB651S's and the DB351 next up the DB840DVC's I chose to put XTC baffles behind the four DB651'S after finding a bit of rust on the factory connectors I later cut an opening out of the bottom after they sounded a bit down on mid bass enclosed ,sorry no pic of the cut out,I got in a hurry on that.Adapter used was Metra 72-9300 you need 5 had to trim a little hey fit the factory mount by using three screws and depth was perfect

Last edited by Steve R; 04-13-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Next Up was the Center I had read that the polk DB 351 would fit and sure enough it did . I was able to use One of the factory screw locations but had to drill a hole in the plastic for the other one it was no big deal and was very close.

you will need to mount the center speaker upside down for the wiring connection to clear the housing and have a good place to stash the resistor mod.
speaking of I bought a 4OHM 25watt Aluminum housing wire wound resistor ,two for $5.80 shipped. had to cut the mounting wings off but it worked great.

I then wraped it up in tape and wire loom an tucked it under the left side of the dash trim no problem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Lastly was the Subs ,I agonized over these for a little ,4ohms ,2ohms , too big ,too small ,get a bigger box ETC you know all that stuff. In the end I decided to stick with all Polk gear and bough a pair of DB840DVC run them at 2ohms out of phase plus turn up the amp all the way.
I built a wiring harness and soldiered it on to the factory connector.

as you can see in the photo i original mounted the subs in the housing with the connectors front and back respective to the car but that proved to be a mistake because mounted you cant change the phase from the trunk.

so I had to re-clock them 90 out.

Correct orientation from the top should look like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Before buttoning it all back up I decided to to some rattle prevention. first up was too add foam to all the trays and modules .

next up where the actual sub covers ,I found them to be loose and have only two out of four mounting locks ,so I scavenged some of the parts car and seated them but good.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Impressions.
I was immediately impressed by the Clarity and Tightness of the system as a whole .No more wheezing or flapping at loud volumes.While you do have to run more volume at the rig because it is now 4Ohm's not 2Ohm's its not double,I would say a third more . The mid bass is MUCH improved and the Sub Bass although not as powerful/ boomy it is supper tight and mixes very well with the doors. After listening I was disturbed by the shrillness and non focused sound stage the factory tweeters added to the mix so I disconnected them and I must say I don't miss them at all. It still SOUNDS like there there but its the doors taking up the slack and sound stage is much better defined with them gone. As for the whole IN Phase/Out of Phase Sub thing the verdict is still out for me . They Sound DIFFERENT out of phase, not necessarily better. OUT of phase seems more MID and TIGHTER while IN phase seems more BOOMY at least to me. I will listen for a while and see what I think after a week or two. Anyway that is my experience with the whole deal Hope it helps some one , your experience of course may vary.
Thanks Steve
jeremyaugustine0 likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 10:12 AM

I wanna but some on all four doors and relocate the tweeters on mine move to the top

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page