Keyfob or other issue? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Keyfob or other issue?

My wife has a 2008 v6 G8. Her keyfob has been wearing out, to the point that the rubber over the buttons is like.. shredded. So, she's been manually locking and unlocking the door, had no problem doing that for about a week. Starting yesterday evening, everytime she unlocks the car, there's power, as the alarm is active (makes the short beeps before she puts the key in) and all lights work and everything. As soon as she goes to turn the key, it cuts all power and locks her key in. When she manually opens the trunk, it releases the key, but doesn't restore power. When she gets it jumped, starts right up and drives fine, no power issues whatsoever... But the second she pulls the key out, sometimes cuts power again, or else it does when she goes to restart.

Is it possible that, because the keyfob is breaking down, the car might be cutting power as an anti theft feature because it doesn't recognize her chip? I'm so confused and so is everyone I've talked to, but they seem to agree it MIGHT be because of that, but have never heard of it... Or am I looking at a completely different issue? Tight on money, so kind of worried about having to go get a new keyfob. My coworker just had to replace his and it was over $160 because of the chip in it... And I do NOT have that right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:01 AM

Garage
You may want to have her reprogram the chip. I forget the official procedure, but I think it is turning the key to on and pushing both the unlock and lock buttons until it beeps.

You can search it on the forums here, I just don't have it in front of me.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)
Power: 400HP/392TQ

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jova007200 View Post
You may want to have her reprogram the chip. I forget the official procedure, but I think it is turning the key to on and pushing both the unlock and lock buttons until it beeps.

You can search it on the forums here, I just don't have it in front of me.
I will try that for sure, thank you. The only problem is, as I mentioned, her keyfob is pretty shredded and the buttons don't always work, which is why she's been manually locking and unlocking with the key instead.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 09:02 AM

If you don't mind giving up the flip key take the car to a GM dealer and get the recall done for the "unintended key rotation".
As usual, can't remember official name or number of recall....
Only downfall is you give up your flip key fob and get straight blade replacement key fobs but if moneys short should be a free replacement.
When I brought my G8 the only fob it came with was falling apart but did still work, the replacement flip fob and programing cost me around $360. That's why I've been ducking the recall.
Good luck.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

This actually isn't the flip key, it's a straight key lol so would that mean the previous owner already had the recall fixed?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunningB21 View Post
This actually isn't the flip key, it's a straight key lol so would that mean the previous owner already had the recall fixed?
If key looks like this:

it is not the new key .

If the wide part of the blade is face up like this:

it is the new key

Don't have an answer for your problem but will keep an eye on this post to see what happens. BTW:You do know you can buy just the rubber button cover don't you?

--Brian

2009 Pontiac G8 GT PSM w/Sport & Premium packages -- Rotofab, GXP Diffuser, Cortex, Solo Axle Backs w/ 3.5" tips & Many "Crazy Paul" additions
2008 Chevy Impala SS
2001 GMC Sierra
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:22 AM

Garage
You can buy a new FOB on amazon or anywhere else that sells them online. Then you simply need to move the chip over to the new fob with the old innards. (At least I did that to be safe).

That way the circuit board and the chip are present. I bought a new flip key for much much less than the dealer replacement cost. I haven't yet gotten the recall.... Still need to do that. Don't really care about the flip key. Mine was just shredded and the mechanism was busted.

'09 PSM G8 GT - OPG Intake, DOD-Delete w/ Stage 1C 218/229 .600 Lift 117.5LSA, Kooks 1 7/8 Mids, Solo Axle-Back w/ X-Pipe, SuperPro Bushings (Front and Rear). BMR Sway Bars (Red)

"If you want to criticize someone else's work, be sure that your own is in order first."

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Max View Post

If key looks like this:

it is not the new key .

If the wide part of the blade is face up like this:

it is the new key

Don't have an answer for your problem but will keep an eye on this post to see what happens. BTW:You do know you can buy just the rubber button cover don't you?
Ok thank you, this is the key we have, so I believe we should still be covered under the recall?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170803_105832_1501772476555_1501775722859.jpg (134.3 KB, 13 views)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Ratz....another brilliant idea shot down in flames.
Jova007200's Amazon suggestion is probably your best bet now, eBay does list them but I've heard mixed reviews about what you actually get especially ones out of Asia.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Also yes, I know I can replace the button, but I didn't know if maybe the chip was damaged since it is doing this power shut-down thing. Also, new development is that I had my wife unplug the battery for a few minutes and plug it back in and it restores power and released her key, but she hasn't checked to see if it will allow her to start without cutting power off again yet.. we shall test that at around 5 when she gets off work.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 11:06 AM

Garage
If you do need to order a Key Fob (Flip Key), THIS is the one I got.

There is one caveat that I forgot to mention. You need to have the old blade from your original flip key..... I really hope you still have that..??? If not, you'll need to take it to somebody to have it cut using the other blade as a template. Just adds cost.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you do need to order a Key Fob (Flip Key), THIS is the one I got.

There is one caveat that I forgot to mention. You need to have the old blade from your original flip key..... I really hope you still have that..??? If not, you'll need to take it to somebody to have it cut using the other blade as a template. Just adds cost.
The only key in general that we have for it is this one. It was the only one that came with the car when she bought it used in late 2013. They didn't give her a spare at all, just this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170803_105832_1501772476555_1501777954875.jpg (134.3 KB, 9 views)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:05 PM

Garage
A locksmith should be able to cut the flip key based on that one.

I remember when my key looked like that...

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
A locksmith should be able to cut the flip key based on that one.

I remember when my key looked like that...
Thank you very much, I will definitely look into this. Does this come with the chip as well or just the casing and I need to remove the chip from the old fob?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 01:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thank you very much, I will definitely look into this. Does this come with the chip as well or just the casing and I need to remove the chip from the old fob?
It's just the casing.

I have to admit, I didn't have to take the straight key apart, so I can't speak to how easy or difficult it is to get at the chip. Though, you should be able to see how it comes apart when you slide the backing off to get at the battery.

The chip is encased in plastic, and it will be held in there by a tight interference fit. I don't have the straight key handy, so I can't easily examine it to see how easily the chip comes out of it, or where it is in the FOB.

If you get stuck, maybe post some progress pics when you get there. I wouldn't want to destroy the FOB before being sure that I can get the chip out.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Will do! Definitely going to try to get the free one from the recall, but if that doesn't happen, this will be my next step. Thanks again! I'll keep updating on progress
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 02:49 PM

Garage
I'd definitely go the free route.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 10:29 AM

Have had both the straight and fixed key fobs apart numerous times and disassembling them is pretty straight forward (no pun intended). Usually, I have to scour eBay for replacement parts like the rubber button pad and casing. At this point, have done it so much that I could probably do it in my sleep. Yes I have a tendency to drop my keys a lot, but am comtemplating taking focus and concentration exercises in the very near future.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:20 AM

Great post thanks. . . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page