HOW TO Guide: DIY flash Atari gauge to 3-gauge sport display - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

HOW TO Guide: DIY flash Atari gauge to 3-gauge sport display

Many have been asking for a DIY guide to flashing the 08 "Atari gauge" to the 3-gauge file. It is now complete. This one is far more in-depth than the radio reprogramming, with lots more room for error. However, with some basic tools, it can be easily done. I can flash them in 5 minutes now. (After months of researching, learning, and documenting the process, of course). As always, mod at your own risk. There are many ways to accomplish the programming technique, I'm just sharing my method with the community. You should be familiar with the radio programming methods before going into this as well, as I didn't go into much detail on the EEPROM programming, since it's well written out in my radio guide.

Enjoy.

Guide Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Th...9xuwec0bx5IriU

Sheffield Steve and Q-DawgVFR like this.

| Tim R. | 09 MGM G8 GT | 01 SOM Trans Am WS6 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 11:13 AM

Many thanks for the write-up and all the hard work. I am still unsure if this mod is for me or if I will try to mount up some sort of OBD2 gauge interface for monitoring. But I appreciate very much the effort taken to put this how to together for the community.

I have one question to ask, (for anyone who knows):

Do the Atari Gauges work on 2009 models with later radio also?

And does anyone have a part number for the Atari Gauges if searching through junkyard or eBay? (Seems people call these gauges various different names when selling)

Thanks.

"Born with gasoline in my veins and a steering wheel in my hands"
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 11:22 AM

Great job, LMK if you want to try the other modules

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-DawgVFR View Post
Many thanks for the write-up and all the hard work. I am still unsure if this mod is for me or if I will try to mount up some sort of OBD2 gauge interface for monitoring. But I appreciate very much the effort taken to put this how to together for the community.

I have one question to ask, (for anyone who knows):

Do the Atari Gauges work on 2009 models with later radio also?

And does anyone have a part number for the Atari Gauges if searching through junkyard or eBay? (Seems people call these gauges various different names when selling)

Thanks.
The gauge will work on all models. There is a capped plug on the 2009s, you just need the gauge and wiring harness from an 08, and remove the cap on the plug. The plug is to the left side of the radio if you remove the kick panel by the gas pedal. I just added the gauge and harness part numbers to the guide as well.

Gauge: 92200358. Harness: 92182437.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 01:16 PM
Grease Monkey

Garage
Has anyone else done this? I'm having a hell of a time connecting to the MCU. I even bought a FFC cable and breakout board to make sure my connections were good, and tried two usb-serial converters. I saw it partially connect once, but it didn't complete.

Ported TVS1900 OD cogs 10.5psi | ID850 | Vaporworx CTS-V 1:1 | COMP 219/233 .606"/.605" 113+1 | Ported TB | Pacesetter 1 3/4 LT | Solo Mach X3

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 01:31 PM
F1rehawk

Garage
They really should have left those gauges in the later models instead of the useless storage space. What a shame.

2009 SRM PONTIAC G8 GT
VCM OTR Cold Air Intake
Kooks Long Tube Headers / HF Cats
Solo Mach Shorty Catback
Continental Extreme Contact DWS6 Tires
Shadow Chrome Camaro SS Wheels
91 Octane Tune @ JLS Tuning Performance
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 11:10 PM

Garage
THanks Hollo
I am close but i need figure out what happened during the 3 gauge process. I will try and start over again and see if I missed something. For what ever reason the flash appears to have worked fine but is much larger in the font size then it should be? Checked the gauges prior to the flash and everything looked correct (2 gauge) Will update once i figure out the miss step I took.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1668 - Copy.JPG (37.8 KB, 85 views)

2009 MGM ,
1995 Caprice, 6.0 LQ4
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
THanks Hollo
I am close but i need figure out what happened during the 3 gauge process. I will try and start over again and see if I missed something. For what ever reason the flash appears to have worked fine but is much larger in the font size then it should be? Checked the gauges prior to the flash and everything looked correct (2 gauge) Will update once i figure out the miss step I took.
Hmm. The font looks to be right, just the pixels aren't working up top. I wonder if your LCD is defective somehow at the top? You wouldn't notice on the 2-gauge file because text/graphics aren't displayed there. Try and re-seat the ribbon cable and make sure it's tight. Or just try and erasing and re-flashing again.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 01:17 PM

Garage
Thanks Hollo,, Yahh tried to reseat the ribbon cable but I think you are correct. Likely a problem with the LCD pixels.. The good news is I get some "good experience" in taking this thing apart .. lol ..

2009 MGM ,
1995 Caprice, 6.0 LQ4
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 10:15 PM

Garage
Well as you mentioned Hollo it was the LCD pixels .. resolved and working..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (45.1 KB, 75 views)
HoLLo likes this.

2009 MGM ,
1995 Caprice, 6.0 LQ4
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Awesome man! What did you do to fix it? I think you're the first to have actually completed the flash using the guide!

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 01:07 PM

Garage
I actually found another used gauge and swapped the logic card over to the "new-used gauges LCD panel" given I had replaced all of the LED's with blue ones on that logic card. I now have a spare logic card that I will practice on,, lol . The instructions you provided = THUMBS UP ! Thanks Roger

2009 MGM ,
1995 Caprice, 6.0 LQ4
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I actually found another used gauge and swapped the logic card over to the "new-used gauges LCD panel" given I had replaced all of the LED's with blue ones on that logic card. I now have a spare logic card that I will practice on,, lol . The instructions you provided = THUMBS UP ! Thanks Roger
Awesome. Glad to see it working out for others. Did you use the FTDI cable?

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 01:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoLLo View Post
Awesome. Glad to see it working out for others. Did you use the FTDI cable?
Yes, I did use the above referenced FTDI cable. Roger

2009 MGM ,
1995 Caprice, 6.0 LQ4
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 02:39 PM

I'm so glad to see people still modding the G8! I just got mine in September and I'm getting started!

I just ordered the Atari Gauges off eBay. My goal is to repurpose the LCD screen and use an Arduino to control it. I want to use the Arduino CanBus Shield to communicate with the car and display information on the screen.
I'll do a writeup if I can ever figure it out.

Has anyone ever taken the controller off the back of the LCD housing? I'm looking for an LCD model number or any information on it.
HoLLo likes this.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 01:41 AM

Quote:
I'm going to assume that you changed out the LEDs in your headlamp switch as well.

How did you get it apart? I'm stuck after getting it initially separated. I cannot get to the PCB where the LED(s) is(are) located. I fear if I pull hard enough that I'll break something.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 12:14 PM
Chevrolet Performance Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
I'm going to assume that you changed out the LEDs in your headlamp switch as well.

How did you get it apart? I'm stuck after getting it initially separated. I cannot get to the PCB where the LED(s) is(are) located. I fear if I pull hard enough that I'll break something.
I pulled a spare one I had apart years ago. I think the knob is the sticking point. It is a one time assembly piece. There is a lock tab on the shaft that goes into the knob.

If you don't mind putting it back together with some glue to keep the knob in place it isn't to bad to take apart.

-Greg

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix - 11.24 @ 121
2009.5 G8 GT (Liquid Red)
GXP fascia conversion, GXP diffuser

2009 GXP M6 (MSM) #405 586rwhp/495tq

TVS2300, CTS-V Fuel System, Cam 222/230 116 lsa, Stage 4 Monster Clutch, American Racing 1 7/8 headers, rear Brembo's [email protected]
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrace19 View Post
I pulled a spare one I had apart years ago. I think the knob is the sticking point. It is a one time assembly piece. There is a lock tab on the shaft that goes into the knob.

If you don't mind putting it back together with some glue to keep the knob in place it isn't to bad to take apart.

-Greg
That's the problem I'm having with the spare one I purchased.

I have a VXR8 one that I don't want to damage but I'd like to change the LEDs to the spare G8 one I have...

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 09:00 AM
Chevrolet Performance Par

I was going to swap my piano black one from white to red, but after taking the stock one apart I just left it white.
It actually now matches my white piano black IQ radio and piano black window switches so I'm glad I didn't attempt it.

-Greg

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix - 11.24 @ 121
2009.5 G8 GT (Liquid Red)
GXP fascia conversion, GXP diffuser

2009 GXP M6 (MSM) #405 586rwhp/495tq

TVS2300, CTS-V Fuel System, Cam 222/230 116 lsa, Stage 4 Monster Clutch, American Racing 1 7/8 headers, rear Brembo's [email protected]
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 04:21 PM

Just curious, is there any way to read sensors other than the "new standard" three on the modded atari gauges? It would be great to be able to tie other PIDs like KR, fuel trims, timing, etc. into it.

2009 PBM G8 GT
TVS 1900 Maggie w/2.8" pulley (9-10 PSI), Maximizer LTs, High Flow Cats, LS9 injectors, Rotofab CAI, LC-2 WB, 40A KB BAP, TR6ix plugs, self tuned [250+ flashes], Camaro Paddle Shifters, UPR catch can, 4300k HIDs, Remote Start Heated Seat Control Module , Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, JBL GTO628's, JL 8w3v3's w/JBL P180.2, Bridgestone RE-11 tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in