Battery Saving Mode....help - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GOPHERIT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

My GT has a fairly new duralast agm battery about a year old, and a fairly new ac delco alternator thats about a year and a half old. I was driving the other day and my car went into battery saver mode. Ac turned off by itself and radio. The idle seemed to be slightly rougher than normal. I turned the car off and let it sit for about 5min. When i started the car again, the Battery saver mode notification turned off but the car still idles a little rough. I used my SC tuner to check for codes, no codes found. I then checked voltage via engineering mode, the voltage red 11.5volts. I raised the idle to about 2k and it still read 11.5 volts. Battery charge is at 54%. NO notification of bad alternator or battery on the display.

Bad alternator? Bad battery? Dont have a volt meter at the moment.

Any ideas? Any insight would be great!!

http://

2009 G8 GT (AKA daily driver):
Superchips Cortex, BC coilers, Spectre CAI, Custom Flowmaster Hushpower II catback 3" w/ h-pipe exhaust, 3.5" dual tips, GXP Front bumper conversion, GXP rear diffuser, Spyder LED tails, Maverick man carbon Spoiler, CTS-V rims...Recaro Toddler car seat.

1998 Z28 (AKA Beast)
WAY Too many mods to list....10.90 N/A street legal off the juice.

2016 Kia sorento
Stock...pure Comfort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 08:54 AM

Garage
There's 2 things that make me think alternator:

1. It did it while you were driving
2. 11.5v while driving. Should be closer to 14v while the car is running. 11.5, especially if measured at the battery/off the alternator while the car is running -- is way too low.

If you have a battery charger or tender pop it on for a while and see how your voltage readings fair with a fully charged battery.

Of course, check all the wiring, make sure connections on alternator and battery are tight, including any grounds.

I've never had a car that would indicate an alternator problem specifically on the dash. Any of the auto parts stores should be able to test the battery and alternator if you can get it there.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 01:26 PM

I think the DIC will only display some type of notification if the Alternator has a specific type of failure within it. I had one so bad, it displayed a big lighting bolt as well as a voltage output of something near 11 volts. Once the battery has to take over supplying the majority of the power to keep the car running, might be the reason that it displays that battery saver mode (I've never seen that in my car yet). As best as I can interpret the service manual, battery info would be displayed once its voltage value had decade to something close to the 11 volt range. I think your Alternator (even thou fairly new) has gone up in smoke. I'm quite sure that the Alternator would always put out a voltage of at least 12.5 to 15.5 volts depending on the current driving conditions (as in current battery charge, lights, radio, AC, wipers on or off etc).
wolfman1192 likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 10:57 AM

Do you have an underdrive pulley by chance? I have had that happen to me when all engine fans are on, AC running and radio during the summer with a 25% UDP. If so, a tuner can customize your tune to accommodate those circumstances so battery saver mode does not kick in. Just a thought.....

2009.1 MGM G8 GT-sport/prem/sunroof
Way too many mods to list!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Yes i have a SLP underdrive pulley. But even so, my car was charging 12.5-15.0 volts (depending on driving conditions and accessories being used).

**I actually fixed the problem....it was a bad alternator. I cant believe a brand new genuine ac delco only lasted about a year. Installed new alternator and everything is back to normal.

Thanks for the help guys!!

http://

2009 G8 GT (AKA daily driver):
Superchips Cortex, BC coilers, Spectre CAI, Custom Flowmaster Hushpower II catback 3" w/ h-pipe exhaust, 3.5" dual tips, GXP Front bumper conversion, GXP rear diffuser, Spyder LED tails, Maverick man carbon Spoiler, CTS-V rims...Recaro Toddler car seat.

1998 Z28 (AKA Beast)
WAY Too many mods to list....10.90 N/A street legal off the juice.

2016 Kia sorento
Stock...pure Comfort
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:36 AM

Hey G8 family!!! I'm actually having the same issue....l had a new motor put in by a backyard alley mechanic to cut cost(major mistake,not shaming the good backyard mechanics Because there are good ones out there...) but I've replaced alternator and I replaced battery twice...still getting power saver mode...checked all grounds...I had a reputable mechanic that works on high end vehicles for a living look over it he said the guy fired a circuit so he ran a wire from fuse box to alternator and I'm still have the issue....any help or suggestions...3175250886 please text or call with suggestions or help asap. Thanks guys peace and love
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:36 PM

The problem needs to eradicated between the "backyard alley" and the "reputable" mechanic. Alternatively, find a local automotive electrical repair outlet and perchance they'll be able to diagnose and repair the issue. Bear in mind, having a third person/party take a gander at it might further complicate the problem. Not many, if any, "reputable mechanic" I trade with would run a wire from the fuse box to the alternator... just saying. Good luck

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:07 AM

I would check all grounds and connections. Don't forget you can check battery level in engineering mode on the DIC.

2009 G8 GXP, #715 0f 1829 (#18 of 23 as optioned), MSM, 6M, Sunroof, Onyx/Red

2009 G8 GXP, #807 of 1829 (#37 of 68 as optioned), MSM, 6A, Sunroof, Onyx

2016 Chevy SS, Mystic Green, roof, #555 of 2221

Forum junkie at the G8Board and "The G8 Forum That Shall Not Be Named"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page