Kayhan Audio Unbox and Initial Thoughts compared to G8 Designs kit - Page 25 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #481 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:51 PM

Garage
I contacted the guy about the whine. I also asked him about the little power button at the top left of the screen which seems to do nothing! I would like to be able to switch the unit completely off.
Told me he will get with the gurus and get back to me.
Colin

2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:06 AM

Garage
The gurus say cover any unused RCA plugs to stop the RF noise. That makes sense.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT
post #483 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Along the top, left to right:

Night mode (turns off screen, rest stays active), Daytime 3 step dimmer (does not do any function if headlights are on, seems backward to me), Temp readout, Mute button (looks like a power button, right in the middle), Wifi and bluetooth indicators, Time, Recent apps button.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

post #484 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:11 PM
CCG8 Member

I had Waze installed locally on mine and it caused some hanging issues with it. For Waze to work right you'd need to hot spot to your phone also when running it locally on the unit. I run it via the Android Auto dongle on my phone and it's displayed on the radio.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #485 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
I had Waze installed locally on mine and it caused some hanging issues with it. For Waze to work right you'd need to hot spot to your phone also when running it locally on the unit. I run it via the Android Auto dongle on my phone and it's displayed on the radio.
wouldn't it just be easier to utilize carplay?

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's
post #486 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 02:11 PM
CCG8 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belo View Post
wouldn't it just be easier to utilize carplay?
I'm using Android Auto, same difference. I was just pointing out I don't suggest installing Waze directly on the radio unless you plan to have an active Internet connection to it.
Belo likes this.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #487 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:02 PM

If anybody needs the plastic clips to hold the radio in I have 4 extra.
post #488 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 03:09 PM

Has anybody been able to get spoken street names from the Igo navigation?

2009.1 G8 GT MGM
Mods-Performance:VCM otr cai-Vms HSRK-American racing 1 7/8" Headers with high flow cats-SLP powerflow mufflers-LS7 maf card-Spectre 4"Coupler-Spectre Maff housing-Little Lunati cam- Rick Crawford ported and milled .030"heads-LS9 valves-PSI 1511ml beehive springs-Rick Crawford throttle body-intake manifold. Pat G ECM & TCM tune-camaro 3.45 diff-LOOKS:Camaro SS midnight silver rims.

Ontario G8 Owner's Club (OGOC) Member
post #489 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Yes. Mine seems to work as expected.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

post #490 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
Yes. Mine seems to work as expected.
Out of the two units I have, neither of them do it. It will say “turn left take next right” ext ext but it won’t actually say street names. It will just list the street name at the top of the screen but doesn’t verbally speak it.

2009.1 G8 GT MGM
Mods-Performance:VCM otr cai-Vms HSRK-American racing 1 7/8" Headers with high flow cats-SLP powerflow mufflers-LS7 maf card-Spectre 4"Coupler-Spectre Maff housing-Little Lunati cam- Rick Crawford ported and milled .030"heads-LS9 valves-PSI 1511ml beehive springs-Rick Crawford throttle body-intake manifold. Pat G ECM & TCM tune-camaro 3.45 diff-LOOKS:Camaro SS midnight silver rims.

Ontario G8 Owner's Club (OGOC) Member
post #491 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

I'll have to test again. I think there is a setting for speaking street names.
tonymaltez likes this.

post #492 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 04:55 PM

Am I assuming correctly that the pink wire labeled camera is power? In the install video they used the brown wire labeled back.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2009.1 GT SRM Premium w/Vararam, Corsa CB, Kooks Longtube headers, High-flow green Cats, OPT7 FluxbeamX lows, and Morimoto LED fogs Tuned by PatG
post #493 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:04 PM

Garage
Pink is for the dash cam, brown is for the backup camera.
Colin
Belo likes this.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT
post #494 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:06 PM

So, how is the Bluetooth quality?

I've read a bunch of people complaining on the FB groups. I was excited about this unit but with all the glitches being talked about here, plus potentially poor quality BT streaming, I'm kinda turned off honestly. Seems like it works best when plugged in and using android auto or apple car play. Which in 2019 I don't want to be plugging my phone in to anything.
post #495 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:59 PM

Garage
So far I have no complaints about the Bluetooth.
Music sounds great and when I took my first call recently found no issues.
Colin
tonymaltez likes this.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT
post #496 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:56 PM
CCG8 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigg View Post
So, how is the Bluetooth quality?

I've read a bunch of people complaining on the FB groups. I was excited about this unit but with all the glitches being talked about here, plus potentially poor quality BT streaming, I'm kinda turned off honestly. Seems like it works best when plugged in and using android auto or apple car play. Which in 2019 I don't want to be plugging my phone in to anything.

In my case it sounds like it's just overcompressed when using BlueTooth (though I haven't checked to see if the latest updates improved anything.)

I plug my phone in to use the Android Auto set up.. saves me needing to hot spot my phone every time I get in the car so Waze would work right on the radio. I would have it plugged in to charge anyway so it's not a big deal to me.

Matt Jones
post #497 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
In my case it sounds like it's just overcompressed when using BlueTooth (though I haven't checked to see if the latest updates improved anything.)

Yeah that's what I heard. That it uses bluetooth 1.0 or something. Not sure that's fixable with software I think it's a limitation of the hardware.

Doing research it seems like these things are mass produced China units that are available for many different cars. Low on RAM and processing power. I've been reading, at least on certain models, that they are spoofing the Android version it runs as well. IE: It says it's current but it's not.
post #498 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:24 AM

Well your only other option is g8 designs hvac controller and an aftermarket head unit.
post #499 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 08:16 AM

I went IQ.

Prefer the oem look and all I really want is bluetooth streaming.

My car came with a G8 designs kit but it's getting removed. Just doesn't look right in the car. And the folcik is not that great either.

If you wait a little longer the Aerpro dual hvac unit will be available. The single is out now I think.
Greed likes this.
post #500 of 691 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

As far as ram/cpu goes, the unit reacts fine for me. I understand it's not going to be instantaneous when I open the Nav or whatever, but my expectations are met.

I'm good with the bluetooth streaming. It's as good or better than the aux-in dongle I had been using with the stock radio. My biggest bluetooth problem is with my Samsung Note 9. Any time I connect, the volume setting on the phone has dropped. So I have to either crank the radio or turn it up on the phone, for which Samsung has a really annoying volume nanny with a loud noise warning you have to clear before it'll go above 75% or so.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page