Kayhan Audio Unbox and Initial Thoughts compared to G8 Designs kit - Page 32 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #621 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:12 AM

Like this radio-Thinking of upgrade
Being an android: are apps easily upgradeable or added with apk files in usb stick or is it "locked". Is the navigation and maps in the hardrive or an sdcard like most Chinese bargain radios? Is it easily upgradable/updatable- both Nav engine and maps?
Hows the sound quality?
On their website it has little info. The payed upgrade options such as cameras are for the actual cameras right? If I have my own, they are plug and play with the base unit?
Is Apple carplay built in to unit apps or extra- I see "carplay" as extra but seems to point to "Android Auto" dongle (seems little is paid attention to actual copyrighted technology names).
I see a DLC OBD dongle in accessories section of webpage - is that something for apps such as torque that can be added- I already have an elm327 that i pair with an android tablet for diagnostics- Is there any compatibility? use?
there is also a premium sound BA BF adaptor- is that for another holden model?
no DAB+ in north america so at least that seems clear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #622 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:11 PM
CCG8 Member

1. It's got Google Play Store on it.
2. Apps go on the internal storage, you can add a drive for music/video space on one of the USB connectors.
3. It's decent, the bluetooth streaming sound quality isn't that great though. I use mine with the Android Auto dongle and it streams the music over the USB connection.
4. Yes, you can use your own, it has standard RCA inputs for video.
5. You need the dongle for Apple Carplay or Android Auto. I bought mine from Aliexpress to save a few bucks.
6. You can't pair a bluetooth diag device to it, it's limited to just devices for audio/calls.
7. No idea what the BA BF adapter is.

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
post #623 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 01:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigg View Post
I went IQ.

Prefer the oem look and all I really want is bluetooth streaming.

My car came with a G8 designs kit but it's getting removed. Just doesn't look right in the car. And the folcik is not that great either.

If you wait a little longer the Aerpro dual hvac unit will be available. The single is out now I think.

This!!!!! I am a bit behind on this conversation....but its very relevent to my and what I have done with my car. I had a Folick and pioneer head unit BEFORE the G8 Designs kit even existed because my factory unit was messing up bad...like in no HVAC or radio functions.

Sometimes I have issues with the Folick....it freezes at whatever the last setting was and you have to shut the car off and restart to get it working again.

I have since upgraded to the G8 Designs. It is functional. I love being able to pick whatever headunit one wants....ability to upgrade over time. We all know how fast electronics upgrade over time. I don't really like the velcro holding on the front facia. summer heat plays hell on that. Especially in a black car.

I like this Kayhan Audio system...but it seems you all are having some crazy issues with it...especially with programming. No fun.

And no CD or DVD ability without extra stuff. No fun.

The IQ system is wayyy overpriced in my opinion. Especially for what one can get in aftermarket today.

Now this Aerpro kit. Stock like buttons for HVAC....ability to use any headunit one wants. win win in my book. the single zone is indeed on their website, I checked before writing this.

Here is an install video.

https://aerpro.com/video/ve-kit-installation

It is good to see that there are companies out there making aftermarket stereos available to us G8 / VE owners.

Rich

08 Panther Black G8 GT....# 644 of 888
Vararam intake, Kooks long tube headers, kooks full exhaust, OBX mufflers, Eibachs on FE3s, various electrical upgrades.

post #624 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:20 PM

Aerpro is coming out with a dual zone kit also. Also got a tip from an audio shop in Australia that Alpine is coming with a new VE Commodore kit too. Also contacted Alpine of Australia on this they said stay tuned so there is something for sure.
post #625 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:59 AM

i got to the part where it says it doesn't work with dual zone and stopped.

lol. come on man.

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's
post #626 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfan1976 View Post
Also got a tip from an audio shop in Australia that Alpine is coming with a new VE Commodore kit too. Also contacted Alpine of Australia on this they said stay tuned so there is something for sure.
I saw an image of the design somewhere but I can't find it.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #627 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:13 PM

It looks like Kayhan has one for coming for the Series II crowd.

Now this is something I may look into since it has physical HVAC controls that look good.

Better hardware as well (4 GB of RAM, 64 GB HDD 1.6 GHz 8 cores with Android 8.1).

https://kayhanaudio.com.au/product/p...e-ve-series-2/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (129.1 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (120.3 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (122.3 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (92.6 KB, 152 views)

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #628 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:17 PM

does the series 2 even work with the pontiac though? forgive my lack of Holden knowledge.

post #629 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:57 PM
Pontiac Crazy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belo View Post
does the series 2 even work with the pontiac though? forgive my lack of Holden knowledge.
It would need the plug re-pinned or an adapter harness, but yes. You would also most likely be stuck with the controls being somewhat reversed as they said they won't support this unit for the G8.

2009.5 G8 GXP SRM 6MT
-Kooks 1-7/8 LT, 3" Solo, RotoFab CAI, Full Zeta II suspension with BCs, Monster LT1-S & Tick Master Cylinder, 3.91 w/ TrueTrac
post #630 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:13 PM
Junior G8er

I'd be all over this one.
post #631 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
This!!!!! I am a bit behind on this conversation....but its very relevent to my and what I have done with my car. I had a Folick and pioneer head unit BEFORE the G8 Designs kit even existed because my factory unit was messing up bad...like in no HVAC or radio functions.

Sometimes I have issues with the Folick....it freezes at whatever the last setting was and you have to shut the car off and restart to get it working again.

I have since upgraded to the G8 Designs. It is functional. I love being able to pick whatever headunit one wants....ability to upgrade over time. We all know how fast electronics upgrade over time. I don't really like the velcro holding on the front facia. summer heat plays hell on that. Especially in a black car.

I like this Kayhan Audio system...but it seems you all are having some crazy issues with it...especially with programming. No fun.

And no CD or DVD ability without extra stuff. No fun.

The IQ system is wayyy overpriced in my opinion. Especially for what one can get in aftermarket today.

Now this Aerpro kit. Stock like buttons for HVAC....ability to use any headunit one wants. win win in my book. the single zone is indeed on their website, I checked before writing this.

Here is an install video.

https://aerpro.com/video/ve-kit-installation

It is good to see that there are companies out there making aftermarket stereos available to us G8 / VE owners.

I'm very picky about my cars. I want what I have to work - and work well. I don't need all the extra bells and whistles. I was fully on board with the Kayhan, but after following this thread and seeing all the constant "tweaks" people are having to do...I wouldn't be able to deal with that. I work in tech and when I'm in my car the last thing I want to be doing is playing around with the radio to make it work right. I do that **** all day already lol!

That plus I decided I like the physical knobs/buttons. The AerPro is something I'd have entertained if it was available when I made my purchase.

As far as price goes, everything Holden is expensive here. It is what it is. I needed the triple gauge pod for my application as well and Ortiz pods are garbage quality. And there just isn't any option for mounting extra gauges that looks as good as the genuine Holden parts.

Again I am old fashioned in that I prefer to have knobs and buttons I can touch. The positioning of the Tesla style screen of the Kayhan isn't the best either. Which I understand, I'm just saying.

As far as the G8 designs kit...yeah...anything that comes with velcro is garbage IMO. Plus I just hate the look of most kits that allow the use of off the shelf HU's. They just cheapen the look of the car in most cases. Unless it's a car from the 90's or something lol
post #632 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:30 AM

It's such a dumb thing for me, but alas it's how I feel. My g8 is nicely over 400hp and still a friendly DD. It has the right amount of power for my needs and I've felt the exterior has held up. It's rare and I get questions and compliments a lot. At 60k my GT is in rare air and I know that makes it valuable.

I have no need to sell and replace it. It's paid off. But the one SINGLE thing that gives me the itch is the tech. Sure I have auto climate, bluetooth, heated seats, upgraded auto headlights... but the damn infotainment system which is such a crucial thing for me. And my journey dating back to trying a carputer has just left this sour taste in my mouth.

The kayhan seems like the best solution yet, but the various bugs, price increase and limitations are holding me back from pulling the trigger. The unit pictured above would be my ideal solution. Plus if I still get engine whine with this system I'm not sure it's worth it.

post #633 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:43 AM

It's all part of being an early adopter.

In another year they'll probably have all the kinks worked out.

I didn't have a working system in my car so that was another motivator to go with the IQ asap.
post #634 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:46 AM

I'm having issues with mine, nothing super major but partially my own fault too I guess. I am not getting the audio signal to my aftermarket equipment even though it is going through the main harness (no RCA's were used). It's just giving me the "stock" 50w by 4 output from the radio which is weak compared to my equipment. The other two kickers are the antenna adapter that plugs into the back of the radio just snapped off and all I did was disconnect and reconnect. The other one is for what ever reason I can not get the factory harness unplugged from the Kayhan main harness, I lift up the black lever to unlock it but there is no give, it will not budge. I even cracked the top tab on the main factory harness trying to get it out. I was going to remove everything and put my factory radio back in to test the signals but I can't get the harness separated....blows my f...... mind! So I am getting a new antenna adapter this week and I'll try this again and give it one more shot. Otherwise if I have to re-wire everything in my system I might just sell it.

09.1 G8 GT MSM Sport/Premium Onyx/Red
Mods: LSA w/2.85" pulley, LT1Z custom stage1 PDS cam, Solo Mach exhaust, Kooks mids,3.27 Camaro diff., Pat G tune, PPV shocks/struts, BMR sways, SuperPro front strut and BMR rear cradle poly bushings.

Show: F&R Brembo's w/drilled and slotted rotors, GXP rear diffuser, Advanti Racing Rein flow form wheels in 20x8.5"(23.5lbs.) and 20x9.5"(24.5 lbs.), 6K HID, triple Atari gauges, tinted windows. VE onyx/red hot steering wheel and shift knob.
post #635 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

My guess is your system was pulling a signal from something that is omitted from the harness by the Kayhan. You'd need your installer to clarify where it was getting all its signals (perhaps they tapped into the wrong thing).

I had trouble getting the harness adapter apart also. I had to take a close look at another I had on hand from the replacement unit they sent me and figured out the best place to slip in a small prying tool to get the tabs to disengage. You might be able to look at the port on the stock radio for the tabs and get it figured out.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
post #636 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
My guess is your system was pulling a signal from something that is omitted from the harness by the Kayhan. You'd need your installer to clarify where it was getting all its signals (perhaps they tapped into the wrong thing).

I had trouble getting the harness adapter apart also. I had to take a close look at another I had on hand from the replacement unit they sent me and figured out the best place to slip in a small prying tool to get the tabs to disengage. You might be able to look at the port on the stock radio for the tabs and get it figured out.
Sent you a PM, your inbox is full...

09.1 G8 GT MSM Sport/Premium Onyx/Red
Mods: LSA w/2.85" pulley, LT1Z custom stage1 PDS cam, Solo Mach exhaust, Kooks mids,3.27 Camaro diff., Pat G tune, PPV shocks/struts, BMR sways, SuperPro front strut and BMR rear cradle poly bushings.

Show: F&R Brembo's w/drilled and slotted rotors, GXP rear diffuser, Advanti Racing Rein flow form wheels in 20x8.5"(23.5lbs.) and 20x9.5"(24.5 lbs.), 6K HID, triple Atari gauges, tinted windows. VE onyx/red hot steering wheel and shift knob.
post #637 of 681 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

I just deleted a bunch. Try again.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

post #638 of 681 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
My guess is your system was pulling a signal from something that is omitted from the harness by the Kayhan.
i agree. there's several ways to send a signal to your speakers. My current setup has an adapter with the speaker wires to a LOC. Then twisted rca's back to the amps. Then speaker wire from the 4 channel back to a male harness that mates to the stock harness. The audio then travels through the original speaker wires and I've basically just inserted my amps in-line and didn't have to run anything to the doors or splice any wires.

Conversely you can skip that step and just run your individual speaker wires to each door from your amp. You would need to be sure that your kayhan to stock harness does NOT have the speaker wires connected though, or somehow change a setting so that it's pulling from RCAs, otherwise you're not going to get a signal from your amp.

I'm undecided on how to go about this if/when i get the kayhan. The first method introduces a bunch more wiring and variability for a loose connection and engine whine, but is also a simple plug and play to convert back to stock.

post #639 of 681 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:35 PM

is there a protective film to remove on the screen? Or is that supposed to be there for glare?

Thanks!
post #640 of 681 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

I've left it on there. Has anyone taken it off?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page