Kayhan Audio Unbox and Initial Thoughts compared to G8 Designs kit - Page 34 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #661 of 713 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:12 PM
CCG8 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxxBombers213 View Post
Yes it’s awesome- works wirelessly and with USB... I installed it in line with a USB port that I added so I can use it either way and keep it hidden
This one right? You using Carplay or Android Auto?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3298...79dcMHHVMHHVTK

Matt Jones
2009 WH G8 GT Vararam/Kooks LT's/Corsa/BLP Probationary LL 219/223 .612/.615 112LSA/3.45s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 713 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
Anyone get their hand on the wireless Android Auto dongle yet? I've seen some people on XDA have them now and are over all happy with them.
I was unable to get it working wirelessly. It just keeps trying to connect.

It does work wired though.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #663 of 713 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
I was unable to get it working wirelessly. It just keeps trying to connect.

It does work wired though.

mine took a few tries to get connected, but once it synced for the first time, it works every time now... wish i could tell you what i did to get it to work... i was trying a bunch of different sequences and it eventually took

post #664 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:44 AM

i have a tight space in my garage where i winter my car. Otherwise it's in the driveway for the summer as it's just easier with the 3 vehicles. But man I'm just so used to and reliant on backup cameras now that it may be the final push I need to get this thing on order.

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's, Kayhan headunit
post #665 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:34 AM

I notice from the video that there is only a single subwoofer rca output. Most (mine anyhow) sub inputs take a left and right input. currently i just use a pre-amp output from my 4 channel amp to send a signal to my subs. However, with this fancier kayhan, I'm thinking there is a sub control option. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'm thinking I would have to run a splitter rca if this is the case and also wondering if anyone has done that.

thanks all.

post #666 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:44 AM

would do something like this i guess?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

post #667 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

It does have a sub level control, as long as you don't turn the DSP equalizer on. I used an Amazonbasics RCA splitter to get the left and right input to the sub's amp.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
post #668 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
It does have a sub level control, as long as you don't turn the DSP equalizer on. I used an Amazonbasics RCA splitter to get the left and right input to the sub's amp.
thank you for confirming this. i've had such trouble with engine whine that I plan to try and buy some higher end wires, even if it's a waste, I'll feel better when troubleshooting.

post #669 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:18 PM

🙁My recent apps button stopped working. Does anybody know a possible fix for this?

2009.1 G8 GT MGM
Mods-Performance:VCM otr cai-Vms HSRK-American racing 1 7/8" Headers with high flow cats-SLP powerflow mufflers-LS7 maf card-Spectre 4"Coupler-Spectre Maff housing-Little Lunati cam- Rick Crawford ported and milled .030"heads-LS9 valves-PSI 1511ml beehive springs-Rick Crawford throttle body-intake manifold. Pat G ECM & TCM tune-camaro 3.45 diff-LOOKS:Camaro SS midnight silver rims.

Ontario G8 Owner's Club (OGOC) Member
post #670 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Reboot? I know that's about as helpful to hear as the typical customer service rep, but...

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

post #671 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:35 PM

Iíve done that so many times I lost count. But thank you very much for the suggestion.

2009.1 G8 GT MGM
Mods-Performance:VCM otr cai-Vms HSRK-American racing 1 7/8" Headers with high flow cats-SLP powerflow mufflers-LS7 maf card-Spectre 4"Coupler-Spectre Maff housing-Little Lunati cam- Rick Crawford ported and milled .030"heads-LS9 valves-PSI 1511ml beehive springs-Rick Crawford throttle body-intake manifold. Pat G ECM & TCM tune-camaro 3.45 diff-LOOKS:Camaro SS midnight silver rims.

post #672 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

That's an odd one. Did you change any settings before you noticed it?

post #673 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:53 PM

Well actually, itís in my wifeís G8. I asked her if she changed any of the settings and she said she didnít even know how to get into the settings.

2009.1 G8 GT MGM

post #674 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:34 AM
Slowly gaining acceptance

I have to say I've sort of lost interest in this solution. Six months after the original conversation with Kayhan about satellite radio integration, I reached out to them for an update and have heard nothing back. Seems like they've moved on to other things and left this somewhat half-baked.

Oh well.
post #675 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimal View Post
I have to say I've sort of lost interest in this solution. Six months after the original conversation with Kayhan about satellite radio integration, I reached out to them for an update and have heard nothing back. Seems like they've moved on to other things and left this somewhat half-baked.

Oh well.
in their defense satellite radio is still relevant but dying. Your phone can do just about everything sirius/Xm can do with the exception of areas that don't receive cell support (which continues to dwindle). and unlimited data is becoming more and more common. It's the same reason you're not seeing factory nav offered very much anymore and everything is carplay.

Not saying it's not valuable, but if the solution is difficult, the cost benefit might not be there for them.

post #676 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:19 PM
Slowly gaining acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belo View Post
in their defense satellite radio is still relevant but dying. Your phone can do just about everything sirius/Xm can do with the exception of areas that don't receive cell support (which continues to dwindle). and unlimited data is becoming more and more common. It's the same reason you're not seeing factory nav offered very much anymore and everything is carplay.

Not saying it's not valuable, but if the solution is difficult, the cost benefit might not be there for them.

The biggest reason factory nav is slowly going away is that your phone is far more likely to have updated maps than your car's nav system.

I disagree that satellite radio is going away, if for no other reason that it doesn't rely on cellular networks to work. I will say that it is probably a challenge to get it to function if the work is being done in Australia, since they don't have satellite radio there.
post #677 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:42 AM

Got my unit up and running over the weekend. Everything wired, but not buttoned up. The backup cam (i used the noauka from amazon) works great, but I haven't mounted it yet. Intial audio setup through my speaker wires and LOC worked well, but I did change over to straight RCAs for a cleaner install and that also went well. Had some trouble with an older offbrand carplay kit so I ordered the gen4 carlinkit from amazon. The gen5 had a mid july delivery from ali, and amazon was free nextday. Had some issues with that as well, but uninstalled the software and reinstalled and it works well. Did a test call from the garage with the mic just sitting near the drivers side A pillar and wife said it sounded fine, but could tell i was on bluetooth. With some of the other comments about mic issues, i'm eager to see how it'll sound when driving 60mph.

Everything to this point has just been testing in the garage, but my audio does sound better, I dont hear any hiss or whine that was common with my previous setup, but seeing how she does on the road will be the true test.

Still playing around with settings as well. I feel like their setup is a little overly complicated and I wish there were some directions or cheat sheets out there.

Last edited by Belo; 06-24-2019 at 08:12 AM.
post #678 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Bluetooth seems to work fine. I'm thinking about removing the external mic. There is one built-in just above the hazard button and James from Kayhan says it works really well.
did you end up with the external or headunit mic? trying to decide what to do before buttoning it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoileng View Post
Reading through this thread it sounds like there is a lot of screwing around with this, I recognize that it is a 10 year old car and doesn't have back up cams etc and I am fine with that. All I really am looking for is a modern upgrade for Nav and Blue Tooth connectivity and does it provide that seamlessly? I use to be into tinkering with all that stuff but these days I have too many other hobbies that I get distracted so I want to be able to just plug it in and use it with minimal screwing around.
if you're not messing around with external amps, this is a job that takes less than a few hours and maybe even less if you've had the glovebox and stuff off before. The settings, like any piece of tech do take a bit to customize, but if you're savy it's not bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfan1976 View Post
If anbody breaks the clips to hold the radio in the gm oneís are hard to get ford has the same clip but gray in color pn# 6G1Z-5410182-D
thanks i must have broke one when i did my touchscreen overlay because when i went to install the kayhan, my factory unit was missing one lol.

Quote:
It has sub volume control. It has other general equalizer controls that I have not mastered yet. There is bass, mid, and treble, but then also has settings for 100 hz, 1.5 khz, and 15 khz. I'd take advice on those...

It does for Android Auto and Bluetooth. Don't have Apple, so can't try that one.

A little, but I usually use the steering wheel control, and tap the volume bar that pops up if I want to change the volume a large amount quickly.
something i must be missing. I see nothing but frequency adjustments. no bass/treble/mid... i'll have to check again when i get home. I also dont see anything allowing me to control my sub. Is there a setting or something i'm missing to change my equalizer settings? Right now I have it on rock... and while pleased, i know it can do better.

post #679 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belo View Post
did you end up with the external or headunit mic? trying to decide what to do before buttoning it up.

something i must be missing. I see nothing but frequency adjustments. no bass/treble/mid... i'll have to check again when i get home. I also dont see anything allowing me to control my sub. Is there a setting or something i'm missing to change my equalizer settings? Right now I have it on rock... and while pleased, i know it can do better.
I'm using the headunit mic. It's ok, but not super.

Yours must have the DSP enabled where you have a large choice of frequency level adjustments, and you lose the sub level control. If you turn the DSP off, you'll have what you see in my picture. I like the sound better with the DSP on, after I tweaked enough frequencies.

post #680 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I'm using the headunit mic. It's ok, but not super.

Yours must have the DSP enabled where you have a large choice of frequency level adjustments, and you lose the sub level control. If you turn the DSP off, you'll have what you see in my picture. I like the sound better with the DSP on, after I tweaked enough frequencies.
ok i'll check that. do you remember where that setting is? there's so many layers to this thing.

as a reference point, i'm a tech nerd. I've built computers and *****, but I'm also an iphone guy and while I hate that i cant control a lot of stuff with the iphone, i also appreciate that they do that for a reason and it's not as overwhelming as an android can be. pros and cons...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page