Kayhan Audio Unbox and Initial Thoughts compared to G8 Designs kit - Page 35 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #681 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

I think it's in "advanced settings".

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #682 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
I think it's in "advanced settings".
yeah found it in the section where you go in and hold and enter the password. I like this setting a little better I think as I can directly control the sub.

Everything is now working just about perfect except carplay. I have the gen4 and latest software and the audio cuts out and is glitchy. Manual says to change charging settings which I think kind of defeats the purpose of plugging it in. Anyone else have this issue with the carlinkit?

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's, Kayhan headunit
post #683 of 713 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 G8's 4 ME View Post
For anybody that wants to know, I was one of them. I have this new head unit hooked up to two amplifiers. Rockford Fosgate 1000 W four channel amp and also a Rockford Fosgate 1000 W monobloc amp. Im using the front and rear line out for the four channel amp and the subwoofer out for the sub amp. So far, I am very pleased with the sound of it over stock. Previously, i used an audio control LC7I but was never very happy with the sound. It was as if the volume for the four channel amp and the sub amp were never in sync with each other. I cant comment on engine wine because the car is still in storage. I did have to pull the car out into the driveway and then back in the garage again after the install and didnt notice any engine wine though��!

Edit. My previous audio set up had horrible engine wine and it drove me absolutely crazy!
I'm rereading this whole thread as I now have the unit and can confirm for the first time in almost 10 years I finally no longer have engine whine. I have tried carputers, iphone screen mirroring and you name it and have never rid myself of the whine until now!

post #684 of 713 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:18 AM

Anyone purchase the version 2? I should have it in a few days.

If anyone interested, version 1 will be for sale soon.
post #685 of 713 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:59 AM

Is this the one with physical controls ala IQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG8 View Post
Anyone purchase the version 2? I should have it in a few days.

If anyone interested, version 1 will be for sale soon.
post #686 of 713 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afgun View Post
Is this the one with physical controls ala IQ?
No VE Series 1
post #687 of 713 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:00 PM

Has anyone tried the IQ style with physical HVAC controls?

https://kayhanaudio.com.au/product/v...te-navigation/
post #688 of 713 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:37 PM
Pontiac Crazy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afgun View Post
Has anyone tried the IQ style with physical HVAC controls?

https://kayhanaudio.com.au/product/v...te-navigation/
Somebody has one in their Caprice on the Facebook owner's group

2009.5 G8 GXP SRM 6MT
-Kooks 1-7/8 LT, 3" Solo, RotoFab CAI, Full Zeta II suspension with BCs, Monster LT1-S & Tick Master Cylinder, 3.91 w/ TrueTrac
post #689 of 713 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:11 AM

You have to check if the VE Series 2 harness pinouts are the same as VE Series 1. If it is different, you will need to rewire it.
post #690 of 713 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:31 AM
Pontiac Crazy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG8 View Post
You have to check if the VE Series 2 harness pinouts are the same as VE Series 1. If it is different, you will need to rewire it.
It's not, most people use an adapter harness so you don't risk screwing up your factory plug.

www.carmodder.com ? Fitting a Series II IQ Unit for the Holden VE Commodore
Belo likes this.

2009.5 G8 GXP SRM 6MT
-Kooks 1-7/8 LT, 3" Solo, RotoFab CAI, Full Zeta II suspension with BCs, Monster LT1-S & Tick Master Cylinder, 3.91 w/ TrueTrac
post #691 of 713 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:06 AM

yes get a metra adapter. they're cheap and you're not ever messing with wiring issues or going back to stock.

post #692 of 713 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:51 PM

Garage
I purchased my G8 new in March of 2008 and have been waiting over 11 years to replace the radio in my G8. Over the years I've read numerous hacks and mods to do that. Patching this and that, hack this or that, firmware upgrade etc. Just a hole bunch of things that have never worked out over time.

I read this thread today and just like others this sounded like the Holly Grail of updating the G8 radio. Then near the end of the thread I'm getting the same feeling that this too just just a passing fad.

Until I found this thread. I was about to bite the bullet and go with the G8Designs solution. But now I'm not so sure. For all purposes the Folcik controller 'appears' to be the most 'stable'. Although I'm not overjoyed at the look of the Folcik controller. I'm just so frustrated of nothing being available for the G8. My G8 just rolled over 90k miles and will stay in the family for a long tiime along with my two other vehicles that were purchased new in 1967 and 1970.

I'm looking for a solution that is stable and just plain works. It there anything out there for my G8? I've read about the IQ system with physical AC controls. Only to find out the dual control will not be 'modified' to support the G8 for us here in the US.

For those of you that have went with Kayhan Audio I have some questions.

Are you happy with your decision?
Would you do it again?
Would you go back to factory?
Would you replace the Kayhan Audio with the G8Designs?

I just want a simple radio with a automatic backup camera, a front camera to keep my wife from destroying the front bumper for the fourth time and maybe Google maps for navigation. I'm not interested in a bazillion watts of power with subwoofers that destory windows for miles around.

What's out there that just plain frigging works?

2008 G8/GT Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Sunroof, Maganflow cat-back exhaust (street series).

1967 Olds Cutlass, 468 BBC, 517 HP, 700R, Chevy posi 12bolt/3.31, Hooker Headers, FiTech EFI. Original owner.

post #693 of 713 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:04 PM

Garage
Love my Kayhan unit, absolutely no regrets!
Colin
Rufas likes this.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT
post #694 of 713 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufas View Post

I'm looking for a solution that is stable and just plain works. It there anything out there for my G8? I've read about the IQ system with physical AC controls. Only to find out the dual control will not be 'modified' to support the G8 for us here in the US.
Just do an IQ conversion. Factory fit. And it works. All I really wanted was factory bluetooth streaming so I'm happy with my decision. If I had to deal with the issues people are having here I'd have ripped the thing out and threw it in the garbage.
post #695 of 713 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigg View Post
Just do an IQ conversion. Factory fit. And it works. All I really wanted was factory bluetooth streaming so I'm happy with my decision. If I had to deal with the issues people are having here I'd have ripped the thing out and threw it in the garbage.
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but what I've read about the IQ system does not support the Dual AC in a G8. Do you have a link to the IQ?

2008 G8/GT Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Sunroof, Maganflow cat-back exhaust (street series).

1967 Olds Cutlass, 468 BBC, 517 HP, 700R, Chevy posi 12bolt/3.31, Hooker Headers, FiTech EFI. Original owner.

post #696 of 713 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:38 AM

IQ is the factory Holden IQ audio system; it does support dual-zone. You can source it from multiple sources.
post #697 of 713 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but what I've read about the IQ system does not support the Dual AC in a G8. Do you have a link to the IQ?
It absolutely does work with the dual zone climate control. I have one in my car. 20190520_191327_1565018433332.jpg
post #698 of 713 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I purchased my G8 new in March of 2008 and have been waiting over 11 years to replace the radio in my G8. Over the years I've read numerous hacks and mods to do that. Patching this and that, hack this or that, firmware upgrade etc. Just a hole bunch of things that have never worked out over time.

I read this thread today and just like others this sounded like the Holly Grail of updating the G8 radio. Then near the end of the thread I'm getting the same feeling that this too just just a passing fad.

Until I found this thread. I was about to bite the bullet and go with the G8Designs solution. But now I'm not so sure. For all purposes the Folcik controller 'appears' to be the most 'stable'. Although I'm not overjoyed at the look of the Folcik controller. I'm just so frustrated of nothing being available for the G8. My G8 just rolled over 90k miles and will stay in the family for a long tiime along with my two other vehicles that were purchased new in 1967 and 1970.

For those of you that have went with Kayhan Audio I have some questions.

Are you happy with your decision?
Would you do it again?
Would you go back to factory?
Would you replace the Kayhan Audio with the G8Designs?

I just want a simple radio with a automatic backup camera, a front camera to keep my wife from destroying the front bumper for the fourth time and maybe Google maps for navigation. I'm not interested in a bazillion watts of power with subwoofers that destory windows for miles around.

What's out there that just plain frigging works?
I made a similar post in this thread. I'd tried it all and waited for this and I'm now a month or so into my experience. I've worked through all the settings and setup and I'm at the point where all the trim is reinstalled, the protective cover is off the screen and the only thing left are minor annoyances.

It does just plain work. I will admit that despite tinkering the bluetooth phone is not great, but passable. The only bug I have is a delay in outside temp. And that's really not that bad. Audio sounds great. GPS works well.

Here's what I'll say differentiates this from a modern factory headunit:

There are no hard volume control knobs. Even my wife's factory explorer doesn't have hvac knobs so I look past that as it's not a big deal for me. I never really change the temp and leave it on auto. and if i want to, the buttons are right there on the main page anyhow. But I do wish I had a volume knob, so I mostly use the steering wheel controls as the kayhan setting is sort of tucked away on the passenger side.
You're forced to use aftermarket carplay which is a little buggy and the usb to phone doesn't provide the same amount of juice a factory system does, so instead of driving home and gaining 10% life, I get maybe 1 or 2.
the backup cam that many in this thread bought is not 170* and not true night vision, but from the kayhan side of things, it works as any backup cam would. auto initiates in reverse and the gridlines are accurate.

So in summary, my biggest gripes are with equipment that isn't owned or designed by kayhan, however they don't exactly provide those solutions with their unit, so they partially share the blame. And perhaps some of those issues are resolved in their gen2.

I'll leave you with this. I love my wife. But she's not car or tech savy. She's only driven the g8 a handful of times in 10 years. 2 weeks ago I started a detail on her explorer with the intent of taking it easy. I started saturday afternoon with prep and left sunday for machine work and touch ups. I had forgotten that she had a girls night and needed a ride that night and obviously didn't want all my prep to go to waste. She feels more comfortable driving the car than the silverado and was headed to the city and would need google maps gps.

I was a bit nervous regarding the new system and how it'd work for her. I gave her no instructions and when she got home I asked if it all worked well and she said yep. Plugged in her phone and ran pandora and google maps without a hitch and admitted to cranking the system and enjoying it. I think that summarizes my overall opinion of the kayhan at this point and hopefully the last anecdotal story helps you.
Rufas and Jimal like this.

post #699 of 713 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:35 AM

Garage
Still researching....

Has anyone purchased the Version2? One of the changes is Bluetooth 4.1 and 64G of memory.
SatNav for Pontiac G8 (Version 2) | Kayhan Audio

post #700 of 713 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
It absolutely does work with the dual zone climate control. I have one in my car. Attachment 162187
Great. Now a few more questions.

So where did you purchase the IQ?
Do you mind stating the shipping cost and the cost of the IQ?
Are the AC controls setup for left hand drive?
Do you have US maps?
Are the maps updateable?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page