Kayhan Audio Unbox and Initial Thoughts compared to G8 Designs kit - Page 6 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
The shipped price was 1155.00 AUD. At the time that equalled about $860 USD. It shifted a bit in our favor since I paid, to equal about $814 at the moment.

That $1155 included the optional Carplay/Android Auto module.
If I added up all the money, not including time I've spent on the g8 to get a functioning decent audio system It'd easily surpass that. It sucks that this took so long because now I'm just not willing to spend it. Heck, I'm still up in the air on the reverse camera because of the effort. It's sort of like buying a new car because your old one needs tires, but it's how I feel with this 10 year old ride at the moment.

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's, Kayhan headunit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Fresh morning boot up and better lighting pic. Smudges, the glory of a touchscreen! They didn't really seem all that bad in person.

https://youtu.be/q48JvnmGsog
Nice fast startup.

The trim really needs to be painted Rado Silver. Also, the HVAC section needs to be bigger/taller (more pixel allocations).

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #103 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZub View Post
I really like this unit, but my issues are:

A) Needing an external XM receiver, and how to tune it. I use XM A LOT, so this is key for me.

B) I don't understand why they couldn't integrate the car's mic, instead of needing an additional external unit. This irks me.

C) Same for the GPS antenna. I really don't want to have a little box stuck to my dash for this. If I do opt for this unit, I would place the GPS antenna/box on the passenger side. FWIW, I operate a fleet of pickup trucks pulling trailers, and use Electronic Driver's Log system, that has a similar (but larger) GPS box stuck to the dash. After a year or so, the units are moving around because the glue on the two-part hook and loop gets hot and gooey. That noids me out, bigly. I purposely don't stick things to my car anywhere, especially my dash. Again, it would be great if it could be integrated with the car's antenna, but it seems that the GPS 'antenna' is more than an antenna, it's an active device. Am I wrong?

D) The reason GM didn't offer GPS on these cars is that, according to them, the screen was set too low in the dash to be operated properly while driving - taking too much eye time away from the road. This just exacerbates the issue, especially for the climate controls. And I agree, I wouldn't want to give up a cup holder for their remote unit.

Still, the best solution for upgrading for our cars so far.

Many thanks, OP, for the write-up!!
A) Yes, we need XM integration with the factory XM box.

B) Agreed as well.

C) The OEM GPS antenna lies behind the center speaker: www.carmodder.com ? Fitting Factory Sat Navigation for the Holden VE Commodore

D) I think it had more to do with US regulations.

post #104 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:42 AM

so i know this site is funny about links, so i googled this thing and i'm only seeing a facebook page. Is that true, there's not an actual site website/store? I am interested in learning a little more but would like to see what it offers. I honestly just need apple carplay and my needs are met. But i have questions on how to hook up my phone that way and if it still charges the phone, does this unit help with aux whine, how would my 4 channel amp with aux inputs integrate? does this make it easier to integrate a backup cam?

so many questions with not a lot of ways to answer them it seems.

post #105 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
Nice fast startup.

The trim really needs to be painted Rado Silver. Also, the HVAC section needs to be bigger/taller (more pixel allocations).
I agree, it would be nice, but no one seems to offer anything in rado silver. Must be hard to match. Kayhan said they do have a brighter silver and it probably wouldn't look good.

The HVAC does expand to about half the screen when you press anything in that area.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
post #106 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belo View Post
so i know this site is funny about links, so i googled this thing and i'm only seeing a facebook page. Is that true, there's not an actual site website/store? I am interested in learning a little more but would like to see what it offers. I honestly just need apple carplay and my needs are met. But i have questions on how to hook up my phone that way and if it still charges the phone, does this unit help with aux whine, how would my 4 channel amp with aux inputs integrate? does this make it easier to integrate a backup cam?

so many questions with not a lot of ways to answer them it seems.
They have a website. Top result when I google "kayhan audio"

It charges my Samsung while connected to the car play dongle. I would guess it does the same for an Apple.

The only whine mine has is from the right front channel, which is the same that is lacking the audio signal. A new unit is due to arrive today and should address it.

It has RCA outs for front right and left, rear right and left, and subwoofer. Along with factory style outs (but no front center channel).

It has wiring that appears to make a backup cam easy to hookup, though I haven't done it myself. It looks like the hardest part would be getting wiring into the trunk lid.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

post #107 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Slowly gaining acceptance

Quote:
A) Yes, we need XM integration with the factory XM box.

I've been in contact with the vendor on the topic of XM, and after hemming and hawing about using an aftermarket tuner, decided that the factory tuner - with its factory wiring - would be easier than trying to deal with the proprietary connectors on the SiriusXM tuner. I haven't heard back since I sent the info over last week, but I'm willing to help the guy out with pieces, if needed. We'll see what happens.
BigZub likes this.
post #108 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I'm wondering how it would tie into the radio. Maybe utilize the aux-in through a dongle of some sort?

post #109 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I'm wondering how it would tie into the radio. Maybe utilize the aux-in through a dongle of some sort?

The aftermarket tuner would seem to require some sort of a dongle. For the factory satellite setup, there are four wires that run from the XM box to one of the existing connectors that plug into the side of the factory radio. I would think it would be a matter of getting that signal into this head unit, and figuring out how to use it. It could still end up being a dongle, like the Car Play dongles.

As long as it is controlled by the head unit and doesn't require a separate display/control I'm not too worried about how the sausage is made.
post #110 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:20 AM

watched the install vid. that answered a lot of questions and for sub $800 this is pretty intriguing now. Would like to see some demo videos of the carplay, videos etc. He spent a lot of time with that cupholder thing that I dont think I'd ever consider, especially when I'm almost always in auto mode.

post #111 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
They have a website. Top result when I google "kayhan audio"

It charges my Samsung while connected to the car play dongle. I would guess it does the same for an Apple.

The only whine mine has is from the right front channel, which is the same that is lacking the audio signal. A new unit is due to arrive today and should address it.

It has RCA outs for front right and left, rear right and left, and subwoofer. Along with factory style outs (but no front center channel).

It has wiring that appears to make a backup cam easy to hookup, though I haven't done it myself. It looks like the hardest part would be getting wiring into the trunk lid.
thanks I'm seeing some of that now. My center is still connected but not in use. Any issues with bluetooth phone calls? Also assuming there is a setting to change your speaker outs, because this setup still uses the factory plug which would include the speaker outputs. Wondering if their camera setup is anygood or go with one that people are already using.

post #112 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Bluetooth seems to work fine. I'm thinking about removing the external mic. There is one built-in just above the hazard button and James from Kayhan says it works really well.

The wifi can be used to connect to the hotspot on your phone if you want to stream that way, download apps, whatever else you'd use internet for. Right now, mine connects to my home's wifi when I pull in the garage.

post #113 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belo View Post
watched the install vid. that answered a lot of questions and for sub $800 this is pretty intriguing now. Would like to see some demo videos of the carplay, videos etc. He spent a lot of time with that cupholder thing that I dont think I'd ever consider, especially when I'm almost always in auto mode.

That cupholder controller would be really neat if it worked like the Great German Control Knob in many current luxury cars. If you could control everything through that thing, I'd give up the cupholder, and maybe even the sat radio, to get one.

But seriously, I'm not buying until the satellite radio thing is solved without having to use cellular data.
post #114 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Bluetooth seems to work fine. I'm thinking about removing the external mic. There is one built-in just above the hazard button and James from Kayhan says it works really well.

The wifi can be used to connect to the hotspot on your phone if you want to stream that way, download apps, whatever else you'd use internet for. Right now, mine connects to my home's wifi when I pull in the garage.
so theoretically if you stream over your phone you could be watching netflix while you drive? I mean, your passengers haha.

post #115 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimal View Post
That cupholder controller would be really neat if it worked like the Great German Control Knob in many current luxury cars. If you could control everything through that thing, I'd give up the cupholder, and maybe even the sat radio, to get one.

But seriously, I'm not buying until the satellite radio thing is solved without having to use cellular data.
i understand the sat radio being a deal killer for sure, fortunately for me I haven't used it in several years so it's moot for me. I just love my 16 silverado's setup. fully functional backup camera and integrated carplay. I plug my phone in and it charges and I can use waze and most apps that I would want, or just stream bluetooth. I get in my pontiac and i have this rigged mirroring setup that I dont even really need and cables coming out the top and it looks like poo.

For years there hasn't been a solution that can do it all and this maybe the first that finally can. heck I'm surprised if you couldn't hook up an antenna and get tv haha.

post #116 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Watch Netflix? Sure could.

post #117 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Watch Netflix? Sure could.
this isn't something i would do obviously, just trying to understand the capabilities. If I can download apps from the google store and I can get a net connection. Then there aren't other limitations right? No hidden vim bs?

post #118 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

No VIM BS.

post #119 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimal View Post
They need to do what GM/Holden did for the Daewoo Veritas:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gm-deawoo-veritas_05.jpg (144.1 KB, 194 views)
ClarkWGriswald1 and Jimal like this.

post #120 of 714 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
They need to do what GM/Holden did for the Daewoo Veritas:

This. That's nothing but a worthless area that gets dirty imo. I guess that's supposed to be some sort of coin tray or something. I'd gladly give that up to put some sort of control console in there.

2009 SRM G8 GT w/ Premium Package

Current Mods:

Solo Axle Back Exhaust w 3.5 Tips + GXP Rear Diffuser

Planned Mods:

Replace all incandescent lighting with LED bulbs | Roto Fab CAI | Spyder Black Projector Headlights w/ LED DRL Bar | Holden iQ radio conversion | HSV Steering Wheel | Pypes LT Tri Y Headers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page