Door Speaker Replacement Choices - Page 2 - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

So I think I've got it narrowed down to a few choices. Any thoughts on what might be the best choice to go with in terms of quality and installation? Here's what I'm thinking so far based on what I've read so far between these 3 choices:

Polk DB651/DB651s - 4 ohm, 92 db sensitivity, 55W RMS?, easy install, good sound, possible soldering issues come up (also there is the 652 which seems to have good specs)

JBL GTO629 - 3 ohm, 93 db sensitivity, 60W RMS, 53-21khz, cutout 5 1/16",#2 seller in coaxial car speakers on Amazon (with good ratings), "Plus One carbon injected cone"

JBL GX602 - 2.3 ohm, 92 db sensitivity, 60W RMS, 50-21khz, cutout 5 1/8","Plus One polypropylene cones"

Any one stand out for sound quality or ease of installation? All about the same?

I also ordered 4 of the Metra 72-9300 speaker wire adapters. Steve, thanks for the install pictures!

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited by johnhawthorne21; 02-22-2019 at 01:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:19 AM

I wrote in that link I posted that 5" is the cutout size. I don't remember if I maybe rounded down, but anything bigger may be a problem. Are the JBLs listed as fitting?

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
I wrote in that link I posted that 5" is the cutout size. I don't remember if I maybe rounded down, but anything bigger may be a problem. Are the JBLs listed as fitting?
Yes and no. Sonicelectronix says they both will. On Crutchfield they only have the GX602 and it says it won't fit, but not because of the cutout size. It has it being compatible for depth, magnet size and cutout but not mounting height, but I think I've seen other speakers that people said fit with similar or higher mounting heights. They don't have the GTO629 on their site (at least not that I can find) but they do have a GTO620 (not sure if it would be similar or not), but it says mounting height and magnet size (by a little)aren't compatible.

post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:26 AM

Cool. Also look at the back of the speaker grill on the door while you have things off. One of mine had some plastic flashing that poked into the rubber speaker surround. It was easy to trim off. Give it a look to avoid poking your new speakers.

Sonic also says these Rockford Fosgates fit. I found the hard way that their needed cutout is too big, and they now are featured in my garage stereo, because restocking fees.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...nch-P1650.html

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:49 AM

Looking at the specs of the Inifinity Kappa 62.9i, the cutout is listed as 5 1/8. Use that as a data point, I guess.

post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:21 PM

If you still have Infinity as a consideration, I recently went with a pair from Crutchfield for the rear doors that I am incredibly happy with. I had the original model you referenced as being no longer available that I put in like 5 years ago, but water recently destroyed one of mine so I needed to replace. I found whatever the "new" version is (which I can look at this evening if you care), and did it properly this time with foam baffles from Amazon.

The newer version of the Infinity speakers actually fit better than the previous model. I was able to do away with their little converter-mounting circle thing and mount directly to the door with the foam baffle.

Everyone that's been in my car is impressed by these speakers and the sound... even compared to friends with so-called premium (but still stock) 2015 & newer vehicles.

Sure, a lot of people claim you have to replace the head unit and factory amp, but it's HIGHLY unnecessary unless you're trying to be the a hole on the block that rattles the whole neighborhood.

Just my thoughts, but let me know if you care for me to look up the "new" Infinity model I used for the rear doors.

And again... plus one for the foam baffles, especially in the rear doors!!
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:31 PM

I'd like to know what they are.

post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:35 PM

Okay, I lied... I actually went with Amazon. This is exactly what I ordered (rear doors only).

The baffles did require a little trimming as well, but nothing a few minutes with a razor blade couldn't accomplish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speakers.JPG (55.8 KB, 37 views)
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:49 PM

Of those listed I think the JBL GX602 - 2.3 ohm, with 92 db sensitivity would be the choice. The 2-3ohm load will present as more efficient than a 3-4 ohm speaker with the same 92 db rating.
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
Looking at the specs of the Inifinity Kappa 62.9i, the cutout is listed as 5 1/8. Use that as a data point, I guess.

Ok perfect, so all of those I was looking at are either that size or smaller so should be good.
post #31 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Of those listed I think the JBL GX602 - 2.3 ohm, with 92 db sensitivity would be the choice. The 2-3ohm load will present as more efficient than a 3-4 ohm speaker with the same 92 db rating.

Ok good to hear! Because I ended up ordering those.
post #32 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on the Infinity Reference's nbortz. I'll have to keep those in mind in the future. I had been looking at the Ref 6532EX for a while I think, but had heard more about the Kappa's, so then started looking at those. I'm glad to hear they sound so good and fit well!
post #33 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhawthorne21 View Post
Yes and no. Sonicelectronix says they both will. On Crutchfield they only have the GX602 and it says it won't fit, but not because of the cutout size. It has it being compatible for depth, magnet size and cutout but not mounting height, but I think I've seen other speakers that people said fit with similar or higher mounting heights. They don't have the GTO629 on their site (at least not that I can find) but they do have a GTO620 (not sure if it would be similar or not), but it says mounting height and magnet size (by a little)aren't compatible.

I installed 4 GX602s today. No issues at all. Their +1 tech makes the mounting points farther out, but that was easy to fix.
They sound phenomenal to say the least.

Now if only my sub amp worked still.
post #34 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:46 PM

Is the amp out ,or have the drivers gotten burned up ?
post #35 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 09:11 PM

Tested another speaker on the wires from subs, and checked fuse. Fuse is good, and no output to speakers.
I suppose next move is to tap input wires to amp, and use external amp.
post #36 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8NotV8 View Post
I installed 4 GX602s today. No issues at all. Their +1 tech makes the mounting points farther out, but that was easy to fix.
They sound phenomenal to say the least.

Now if only my sub amp worked still.

Did you just make new holes farther in from the mounting points for the GX602 or something else? I don't have mine yet to see what it looks like.
post #37 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhawthorne21 View Post
Did you just make new holes farther in from the mounting points for the GX602 or something else? I don't have mine yet to see what it looks like.
Basically yes.

Make sure you use the mounting gasket too.
post #38 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:06 AM

This is what I used to get a signal to my after market sub. Worked like a charm. Its a plug and play signal insert that fits between the factory sub amp just unplug the factory connector and put this inline. Line level outs are RCA and have adjustable gain.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Rad...HVpD:rk:1:pf:0
post #39 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:24 AM

That appears to have a remote-on signal wire. I don't believe there is anything going into or out of our stock amp harness that provides a remote-on.

post #40 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:47 AM

It worked for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page