Brake Light Problem - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Brake Light Problem

Hello guys, so recently I had my headliner replaced at an upholstery shop. After it was done, I picked it up and noticed I had no brake lights. The taillights would work but not when applying the brake. Checked the fuses and replaced brake pedal position sensor. The fuse would blow instantly. I don't know much about the electrical side of a car so I took it in to a shop to have it looked at. Had the upholstery guy remove the headliner to take a look at the wires underneath. They found a wire that was cut and taped back together, which I have no clue how that happened as I don't think the headliner was ever removed before. They fixed that and now the brake lights won't turn off, they stay on. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:02 PM

Are you saying the brake lights (all 3 of them) remain on with the ignition off, or that they remain on at all times *after* the ignition is turned on ? As wired from the factory, the brake lights will not operate until the ignition key has been rotated to at least position 1 (accessory position). If your light brake lights turn on at key rotation to the accessory position, it might be that your brake pedal position sensor thinks you are stepping on the brake pedal all the time. With the help of another set of eyes, reach down an pull up an hold the brake pedal, to see if that will shut off the lights. The results will help figure out what might be causing the problem.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPHERIT View Post
Are you saying the brake lights (all 3 of them) remain on with the ignition off, or that they remain on at all times *after* the ignition is turned on ? As wired from the factory, the brake lights will not operate until the ignition key has been rotated to at least position 1 (accessory position). If your light brake lights turn on at key rotation to the accessory position, it might be that your brake pedal position sensor thinks you are stepping on the brake pedal all the time. With the help of another set of eyes, reach down an pull up an hold the brake pedal, to see if that will shut off the lights. The results will help figure out what might be causing the problem.
I am not 100% sure, it is still currently at the shop. They said they tried reprogramming the sensor with a snap on but it didn't work/fix it. Is a tech2 necessary or should I be looking at something else?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:12 PM

If their tool doen't allow them to access the brake pedal sensor for programming, an set its value to zero (with the brake pedal at its normal rest position), then the scan tool would be required. But for now, I'll have to go into the standby mode until I hear the answers to the above questions.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:12 PM

Find it ironic the issue surfaced/appeared after a trip to the upholstery shop, but perhaps it purely coincidental and neither here nor there.
https://www.g8board.com/forums/7-sus...s-staying.html
https://www.g8board.com/forums/99-ts...tion-tpms.html

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page