Kayhan Audio - Who else is NOT happy? - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Pontiac Crazy

Garage
Kayhan Audio - Who else is NOT happy?

So I felt like this pretty much needed it's own thread as the other one has grown so large that any prospective buyers might look at it and see more of the positive that was our initial satisfaction and miss the bad that has came up since. I used Imgur albums for all the screenshots below so I can add to them if more replies come in (and because this post would be a mile long if I embedded every image).

First off, let's talk customer support. Ever since I got the unit installed, I have been unable to download or update any apps. They always get stuck in "Download pending...". I've tried all the usual fixes (clearing data, logging out and back in, etc) as well as the quirky (disable auto-update then clear ALL pending downloads and reboot, manually set the time (even though NTP had already pulled the correct time), stand on my head while singing the national anthem, etc). The back and forth I've had with the Kayhan Audio USA Facebook group results in the same suggestions everytime, even though I've clearly stated that I already performed those attempted fixes. It's almost as if I'm talking to an entirely new person each time. Multiple times I didn't even get a response to my request for an update to the issue, a problem that is probably a side effect of them having an auto-reply configured. So in the end I've been ran in a big circle with this issue and no resolution 3 months later.

All of the FB PMs: https://imgur.com/a/WpgNqM2

Now for the part that has quite a few riled up at the moment, a revised edition being released so soon after. On June 26, a Version 2 was announced that had basically better everything (except for the CPU, that stayed the same). This is only ~5 months after the initial release. When someone voiced the fact that they felt cheated by this, a US representative for the company stepped in attempting to defend the move made by her employer. Part of her argument revolved around saying it was the latest and greatest "at the time", I'm sure all my fellow IT folk know that's an utter load of crap. Those of us who bought in at Version 1 were basically used as unwilling Beta testers to refine the next version of their product. Sure, I can send it back and upgrade to V2, but that's another 400 AUD ($280 USD at time of writing this) plus the $91 it costs me to ship it all the way back to Aus (since they aren't apparently using this supposed US branch office for anything). This would put me at just over $1100 invested, whereas the V2 outright is ~$765 USD (with current exchange).

Thread from the Kayhan Owner's Group: https://imgur.com/a/JAQYFr1

To people looking to buy: I would recommend to avoid this company until such a time they're willing to make it right in a way that doesn't leave everyone feeling screwed over. It's your money to speak with though, I'm just putting all the information out there.

To fellow owners: Please add any unresolved issues you've had to this thread. Maybe if we can build a large enough case against them (especially in regards to the V1), they might do something (probably not, but hey, I can dream right?).

And finally, to anyone who wants to throw their 2 cents in and say: "You should've waited, you knew a newer version was gonna come out!" or "What are you complaining about? It was a new product, of course it has some bugs!" just save it. My biggest issue with them is the inability to properly support the product then seemingly perform a quick cash grab with a shiny new model. Most major products like this follow some sort of standard release model, usually along the lines of once per year. At this rate, we're gonna have a V3 by the end of the year with Kayhan's production cycle...

2009.5 G8 GXP SRM 6MT
-Kooks 1-7/8 LT, 3" Solo, RotoFab CAI, Full Zeta II suspension with BCs, Monster LT1-S & Tick Master Cylinder, 3.91 w/ TrueTrac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:26 AM
every village has one

Sort of like dealing with [email protected]*%[email protected]#% [email protected]%*&....

things are not as they appear to be.........

2009.5 LiquidRed/OnyxRed, Premium Package
e85 Surprise Package
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Pontiac Crazy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchr49 View Post
Sort of like dealing with [email protected]*%[email protected]#% [email protected]%*&....
Well, at least in this case you actually receive the initial product

2009.5 G8 GXP SRM 6MT
-Kooks 1-7/8 LT, 3" Solo, RotoFab CAI, Full Zeta II suspension with BCs, Monster LT1-S & Tick Master Cylinder, 3.91 w/ TrueTrac

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:17 AM

Dispute the charge on your credit card and tell them it is a defective item and want it replaced by the seller, I bet they'll respond to you real quick...

09.1 G8 GT MSM Sport/Premium Onyx/Red
Mods: LSA w/2.85" pulley, LT1Z custom stage1 PDS cam, Solo Mach exhaust, Kooks mids,3.27 Camaro diff., Pat G tune, PPV shocks/struts, BMR sways, SuperPro front strut and BMR rear cradle poly bushings.

Show: F&R Brembo's w/drilled and slotted rotors, GXP rear diffuser, Advanti Racing Rein flow form wheels in 20x8.5"(23.5lbs.) and 20x9.5"(24.5 lbs.), 6K HID, triple Atari gauges, tinted windows. VE onyx/red hot steering wheel and shift knob.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:26 AM

Only issue I have with mine is the volume will change on its own without touching the unit or steering wheel controls. It did not do this until after I installed the unit, so I am ruling out the clockspring being bad in my car. Clearing the steering wheel controls in "Settings" also does nothing. Only fix I have found is to set the volume once where I need it and not touch it (not the end of the world since I really only use AUX, but would be nice to not have to deal with it). I was sent a new CANBUS unit, but was told I need to send mine back to AUS to be checked and possibly modified...

2009 Liquid Red GT

Currently Enjoying : WeatherTech Floor Liners, Tein S. Tech Springs, Monroe PPV Shocks/Struts, SuperPro Polyelast Top Mounts, 19" Sport Wheels & Firehawk Indy 500 Tires, 18" GT Wheels & Continental DWS06 Tires, Subwoofer Wire Mod, Kayhan Audio Headunit, 35% Llumar Ceramic Tint, Morimoto 35W HID Kit

Soon to come: CTS-V 4 Piston Brembos, CTS-V2 Sedan Wheels
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:15 AM

As an IT person, you should know products get iterated on all the time, and you take that chance (that it will be superseded) when you buy any electronic item.

Take video cards for instance, many people have been buying RTX 2060 and 2070 cards, which were just effectively replaced by the RTX 2060 SUPER and RTX 2070 SUPER. Both much quicker cards at the same pricepoint. It happens.

All your other issues though, yeah I'd be looking at a return and refund.

2018 Red Quartz Tintcoat GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Ultimate
2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick *Traded 2/3/18*
2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Sold 7/7/16*
2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT *Sold 6/11/14*
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizzo View Post
As an IT person, you should know products get iterated on all the time, and you take that chance (that it will be superseded) when you buy any electronic item...
In business, it's called planned obsolescence. Stopped trying to explain the concept to most people a long time ago.

#NEVER GIVE UP
#AUDACITY OF HOPE

"Rather not run the risk of offending anyone, so let me just go ahead and offend someone". -PONY MAN

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen". -UNKNOWN

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:25 AM

Well they brought the specs. up to the VE series II version of their unit. Still no physical buttons for the climate control.

Hopefully it's not laggy.

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:39 AM

the series II being released so close to a price increase to the series 1 is pretty sh*ty on them. I'm generally ok with my unit. I have a bunch of issues I'm working to resolve at the moment, but none are earth shattering. Maybe it's because I've spent well over $2k over the years trying to better integrate an infotainment system into this car that came pretty dated even at launch. And this is by far the best.

If I can fix the carplay connectivity and the low charging power I'll be happy. Otherwise i'm still slightly annoyed by the -40 temp, my bluetooth switching between the unit and the carplay and people not able to hear me (I haven't tried to troubleshoot this that much yet), the brightness/autoswitching (still have protective screen on) and the backup cam not being super great. Those last few issues I think can be resolved with more trial and error, and the -40* is annoying but not a deal breaker.

Also I can find and download amazon prime video but can't find netflix in google play store? anyone else?

forgot 2 more. My whole unit turns off with key off and doesn't stay on like the factory until the doors are open. Verified acc is set to on, so this also annoys me. temp always launches at 73, which is my preferred temp for spring and fall but summer I prefer 71 and I'm surprised it doesn't remember my last setting.

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belo View Post
the series II being released so close to a price increase to the series 1 is pretty sh*ty on them. I'm generally ok with my unit. I have a bunch of issues I'm working to resolve at the moment, but none are earth shattering. Maybe it's because I've spent well over $2k over the years trying to better integrate an infotainment system into this car that came pretty dated even at launch. And this is by far the best.

If I can fix the carplay connectivity and the low charging power I'll be happy. Otherwise i'm still slightly annoyed by the -40 temp, my bluetooth switching between the unit and the carplay and people not able to hear me (I haven't tried to troubleshoot this that much yet), the brightness/autoswitching (still have protective screen on) and the backup cam not being super great. Those last few issues I think can be resolved with more trial and error, and the -40* is annoying but not a deal breaker.

Also I can find and download amazon prime video but can't find netflix in google play store? anyone else?

forgot 2 more. My whole unit turns off with key off and doesn't stay on like the factory until the doors are open. Verified acc is set to on, so this also annoys me. temp always launches at 73, which is my preferred temp for spring and fall but summer I prefer 71 and I'm surprised it doesn't remember my last setting.
Make sure you have all the updates. I know mine always starts with the temperature at -40 until you touch one of the HVAC buttons (I can deal with that), mine will also remember what setting I had it on last, so not sure what might be causing yours not to do that. Some apps don't show up because they aren't compatible with the version of Android that is on it.

2009 Liquid Red GT

Currently Enjoying : WeatherTech Floor Liners, Tein S. Tech Springs, Monroe PPV Shocks/Struts, SuperPro Polyelast Top Mounts, 19" Sport Wheels & Firehawk Indy 500 Tires, 18" GT Wheels & Continental DWS06 Tires, Subwoofer Wire Mod, Kayhan Audio Headunit, 35% Llumar Ceramic Tint, Morimoto 35W HID Kit

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:10 PM

yutzybrian hope you still have your iq unit ?
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpontiacguy View Post
Why didn't he buy their VE series II unit since he had already IQ?

#754 of 1829: GXP
#23 of 67: LR, M6, Roof, Onyx/Red
#22 of 37: Summer-only Potenza tires
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Pontiac Crazy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizzo View Post
As an IT person, you should know products get iterated on all the time, and you take that chance (that it will be superseded) when you buy any electronic item.

Take video cards for instance, many people have been buying RTX 2060 and 2070 cards, which were just effectively replaced by the RTX 2060 SUPER and RTX 2070 SUPER. Both much quicker cards at the same pricepoint. It happens.

All your other issues though, yeah I'd be looking at a return and refund.
2070 launched in October and the Super launches tomorrow. 9 months is definitely more reasonable, and in that case the flagship is still the flagship (2080 Ti). It's not like they have multiple tiers of this radio and I bought the radio basically at launch.

I did open a PayPal case, so we'll see how they handle it now that they can't ignore my messages as easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpontiacguy View Post
Yea, I've been waiting on a trim piece to replace a broken one before I sell it but I may not now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXP25 View Post
Why didn't he buy their VE series II unit since he had already IQ?
1) The Series II unit wasn't out in February and 2) I have the HSV Series II with the gauge pod, their Series II for the HSV unit isn't out yet (they just have the one with the round vents). I bought the Series I gauge pod to retain my HSV gauges while being able to install this radio.
GXP25 likes this.

2009.5 G8 GXP SRM 6MT
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:17 AM

This is disappointing to see. It has become common place to release products these days prematurely and use the customer as a guinea pig. I have a 2014 Polaris RZR that has been in the shop 26 times. The issues that I had continual problems with eventually became recalls which I had already fixed at my cost and time.

What are the specs of the V2 and do they address the issues that everyone is having?
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevtheo1191 View Post
Make sure you have all the updates. I know mine always starts with the temperature at -40 until you touch one of the HVAC buttons (I can deal with that), mine will also remember what setting I had it on last, so not sure what might be causing yours not to do that. Some apps don't show up because they aren't compatible with the version of Android that is on it.
This thread had me inspired to spend more time tweaking. I do have the latest updates and did notice that it has been remembering my temp the last few times in and out. So not sure what that issue was. I also played with the gain on the mic a little and the wife says it's better but still a lot of road noise compared to stock. I might try using the headunit mic and not the external one next. Also annoyed that it always defaults to the autokit bluetooth, and i can't seem to find where to disable that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoileng View Post
This is disappointing to see. It has become common place to release products these days prematurely and use the customer as a guinea pig. I have a 2014 Polaris RZR that has been in the shop 26 times. The issues that I had continual problems with eventually became recalls which I had already fixed at my cost and time.

What are the specs of the V2 and do they address the issues that everyone is having?
the specs are on their website. essentially it's an internal wifi antenna and some beefed up hardware. As a tech nerd I dislike not having the latest greatest, but short a few bugs that most of us have been able to work through, there's nothing really slow about this unit that would make me want to spend the additional money on the upgrade. boot times and response are all satisfactory for me. There is some deserved hate for these guys, but I'll still maintain that it's the best option we've had to date and the worst part is that it took 10 years to get it.

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:48 AM

I went in early, assuming it wouldn't be perfect. I guess I'm pretty tolerant of quirks as long as work-arounds aren't tedious. My unit seems pretty reliable compared to some of the complaints going around.

2009 SRM GT - Premium, Sport, Sunroof - HSV triple gauges and trim, HSV Supersport Red/Black Steering Wheel, GXP rear sway bar, GXP Diffuser, Rotofab, SOLO Axlebacks, Magnaflow Cats, Red Hot shift knob, Autodim mirror, Removed intake cover, Chrome lug nut covers, Infinity door speakers, 10" DVC RF Sub, Switchbacks, Slotted rotors & Braided stainless brake hoses, Cortex tuner

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Pontiac Crazy

Garage
Was given another set of steps to try: Clear Play Store data, uninstall updates, disconnect battery for minute, manually install a Play Store update from a provide APK file and check a couple of options in the app settings menu. Same issue persists. I even left it be for about 10 minutes and came back, was still "Download pending..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
I went in early, assuming it wouldn't be perfect. I guess I'm pretty tolerant of quirks as long as work-arounds aren't tedious. My unit seems pretty reliable compared to some of the complaints going around.
Same, but after a few months with no resolution I'm fed up lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66424697_2086001205033481_927629630750326784_n.jpg (56.6 KB, 28 views)

2009.5 G8 GXP SRM 6MT

Last edited by yutzybrian; 07-09-2019 at 03:35 PM. Reason: added pic
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:33 AM

Anyway you can sideload that app?

2018 Red Quartz Tintcoat GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Ultimate
2016 Jungle Green Metallic Chevy SS - Sunroof/Spare/Stick *Traded 2/3/18*
2011 Radiant Silver Metallic CTS-V Wagon - Corsa Axleback, AirAid Intake *Sold 7/7/16*
2008 Panther Black Metallic G8 GT *Sold 6/11/14*
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yutzybrian View Post
Was given another set of steps to try: Clear Play Store data, uninstall updates, disconnect battery for minute, manually install a Play Store update from a provide APK file and check a couple of options in the app settings menu. Same issue persists. I even left it be for about 10 minutes and came back, was still "Download pending..."

Same, but after a few months with no resolution I'm fed up lol
How did you move the external temperature to the HVAC control area? Mine is still at the top near the clock.

2009 Liquid Red GT

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:48 AM

After a few burnt RCA's and burnt some morel eliate speakers I sold mine, Can't be happier now i have a folcik with a pionner unit and zero issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page