Speaker Choices - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Speaker Choices

Should I grab a good pair of 6.5 inches two way, three way, or 4 way ?

I am looking for sound quality over power ...
Any suggestion ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
Should I grab a good pair of 6.5 inches two way, three way, or 4 way ?

I am looking for sound quality over power ...
Any suggestion ?
If you are just swapping out speakers, you don't have as many choices since the stock system runs 2ohm speakers.

mac

Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO
2004 YJ M6 GTO: 1 of 1014
"21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend"
2012 VW MkVII GTI 2.0T DSG
2008 IOM GT: 1 of 927 * SOLD*"The Soul of a GTO, with 4 Doors!"
1970 GTO Hardtop, Palladium Silver 400/400AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
"The Original American Muscle!"
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Then what should I do ?

Buy an amplifier for my speakers ? Or do I need to change the Head unit all together ?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Then what should I do ?

Buy an amplifier for my speakers ? Or do I need to change the Head unit all together ?
Just check with some of the electronics retailers to see what they have. Just tell them you need 2ohm speakers and see what they can recommend. I know others on this board have made just speaker swaps.
I think Boston Acoustics and JBL have a 2ohm line (but don't quote me on that!)

mac

Secretary, Newsletter Editor, Webmaster, Susquehanna Valley GTO
2004 YJ M6 GTO: 1 of 1014
"21st Century Muscle, The Soul of a Legend"
2012 VW MkVII GTI 2.0T DSG
2008 IOM GT: 1 of 927 * SOLD*"The Soul of a GTO, with 4 Doors!"
1970 GTO Hardtop, Palladium Silver 400/400AT *SOLD* Elvis has left the building.
"The Original American Muscle!"
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:04 PM
Owner / Operator

There is no answer to your question except which speaker sounds best to you. If you are near a major city spend an afternoon at the sound shops listening to various speakers. Take in your own CD and make them use it.

You won't be changing the head unit - the climate controls are integrated with the head unit.

What I did was Infinity Kappa 63.9s in the door running of the stock amp. These are 2-ways obviouly these are the midrange speakers - the tweeters (high range) are stock in the dash and I just left them alone.

The 2 ohm versus 4 ohm is not that important - the 4 ohms will need to be turned up a little bit to reach the same loudness versus a 2 ohm. With the aftermarket speakers the sound quality is much better which is what you are after.

For the 8" subs in the rear I used Kickers. I first tried with the stock amp - even with the stock amp (it is in the trunk to power the subs) turned up all the way there was not enough bass.

I bought a $100 2 channel amp for the woofers and it drives them quite nicely.

2008 MGM G8 GT - #615 of 888 - Premium/Sport - 12.6 @ 111 on stock tires

SHOW - Chromed Wheels - Color Matched Splash Guards - Debadged - G8 Tail Lights - GXP Diffuser - Painted Calipers - Under Hood Lights - too much Zaino

GO - ARH Long Tube Headers / Midpipes - BMR Front / Rear Swaybars - Camaro 3.45 diff - Custom non-DOD Cam and Valvetrain - Homegrown PCM / TCM Tuning - K&N Filter - Pedders 'Fruit' Suspension - Yella Terra Intake - Stealth Airbox

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Professional Lurker

There is no technical advantage to anything more than a 2-way coaxial speaker. Three-way, 4-way, 12-way, whatever its all the same. Having a 3/4", 1/2" AND an 1 1/4 "tweeter" makes no difference at all. They are made for nuckleheads who blare everything to oblivion and makes them think they are getting more for their money. Pure marketing BS all the way.

Stick with a solid 2-way coaxial. And it is not an absolute necessity to have a 2-ohm speaker. You may lose a little overall volume with a 4-ohm, but if you like a different model better, just go with that. It's a quality vs quantity thing.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

So what exactly happens when I put a 4 ohms instead of the 2ohms ?

I was thinking about http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...th=32150n32158

A pair of that in the front doors, and a pair in the back doors ? Will that work ? Will this be louder then the stocks one ? Do I need an Amplifier ?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:25 AM
Professional Lurker

Quote:
So what exactly happens when I put a 4 ohms instead of the 2ohms ?

I was thinking about http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...th=32150n32158

A pair of that in the front doors, and a pair in the back doors ? Will that work ? Will this be louder then the stocks one ? Do I need an Amplifier ?

If you had to get a pair from that site, I would go with these:

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...th=32150n32158

But for the price, you can get way, way, WAY better.

examples:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=19661

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=15357

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=19143

Just a few real quick examples. But personally, I would never, NEVER buy any speaker without listening first. Specs alone just don't give the info you need to make a proper decision on a speaker purchase.

The difference between 4 and 2 ohm means basically, you get less available power to the 4-ohm. But you can use this to your advantage by helping to balance out the overall system. If you are replacing all 4 door speakers, using 4-ohm can help to attenuate the "highs" of the overall system, which will bias everything for what you would perceive as more bass in the system.

Try it with the factory amplification first, then see if you have enough volume. If not, then an amp is in order. For most average listeners, I think the stock deck will offer enough loudness. Even on 4-ohm speakers.

Last edited by tommy g; 07-22-2008 at 02:04 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

http://sm.crutchfield.com/App/Produc...GTX1640&tp=315

How about those they look pretty nice ?

Or the Soundstorm one that blast over 185 Watts RMS ... Anyone ever used them any good ?

Last edited by Martin; 07-22-2008 at 05:36 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Professional Lurker

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy g View Post
What ??? LOL
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Owner / Operator

Quote:
What ??? LOL

SHOW - Chromed Wheels - Color Matched Splash Guards - Debadged - G8 Tail Lights - GXP Diffuser - Painted Calipers - Under Hood Lights - too much Zaino

GO - ARH Long Tube Headers / Midpipes - BMR Front / Rear Swaybars - Camaro 3.45 diff - Custom non-DOD Cam and Valvetrain - Homegrown PCM / TCM Tuning - K&N Filter - Pedders 'Fruit' Suspension - Yella Terra Intake - Stealth Airbox

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 07:58 PM
lsgearhead

I've used all memphis in my truck, thats what I would recommend and I'll use those in my car when I change them out.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Maniac at the wheel

4 ohms work fine.good advice above from tommy g

Its not how fast it goes or how shiny it looks,its how you drive it!!!!!

so far...
35% tint all around
hood rock chip protector
GXP diffuser
smoked corner and tail signals
vinyl trunk mat
under dash and seat red LED's
Vararam & HSRK
Solo performance axle-backs
Kaltech 93 tune
Red caliper paint
Sony X-plode amp
Infinity 10' subs-custom spare well encl.(built by me!)
Infinity 2 way 6.5 door speakers
MTX re-Q
333rwhp/340rwtq (mustang dyno)
other miscl. goodies...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:04 PM
Professional Lurker

Quote:
What ??? LOL
Did you read and understand my other posts?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy g View Post
Did you read and understand my other posts?
Yes, but I Still dont know why you want me to go with a 2 way speaker instead of a 4 way speaker, if you say that I will only drop a little bit of power when running the 4 OHMS vs the 2.

Further more they have lots of power which I can regain with an Amp if needed, but I dont think I will need it I just want a good and clear sound. I also think those speaker can handle more power then the deck provides, meaning that its going to be an increase over the stock ones RIGHT ? But I want sound quality, I listen mostly to metal stuff, and I like my guitar clear hehe ... Not a fan of bass and stufff so stock subs are more then enough for me hehe ...

So my question to you since you look like some one who knows this stuff, (I don't hehe) Why would you send me into those speakers over the one I showed you ? They look all right, (and I mean the actual design of them, looks cool) besides being a bit more expensive, but if it comes down to the price that is not too much of an issue since I dont mine spending a couple extra bucks on the speaker as long that they look good My preference would be to the red sony, since they would match the black and red interior of the car
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:33 AM
Owner / Operator

Quote:
My preference would be to the red sony, since they would match the black and red interior of the car
If you are going to buy a speaker by how it looks, then any one you like the looks of will do.

And -- the stock speaker cover in the door panel will still be in place unless you do a major modification to the door panel to use the new speaker covers instead. And the speakers in the door are not centered under the stock speaker cover so you will have to factor that in as well.

But do what ever makes you happy.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

What do you mean by its not centered ?

And well, sure I would like to get something that looks good, but if you say it will be under the door cover then no point ...

So I want something that will play a little bit louder (use all the power that the deck provide, Which is what by the way ? ) but I want something that will give me an awesome sound quality.

Now I want to know why not go with a 4 way or 3 way speaker, they, seems to good, I mean, make sense on paper that a speaker for mid range, one for high, ect, will cover much more of a sound spectrum, more accurately, then juste one or two speaker in one. Am I wrong so far ?

So with that in mind, how much RMS does the speaker in the front and back door are (each one of them not in pairs) with 2ohm rating. And how much does the deck provide to each speaker so that I know a bit more what kind of power I need to put in to those doors, without the need of buying amp, since it will be more then enough I think.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 05:06 PM
Maniac at the wheel

their is no need to have a 3 or 4 way speaker.look at the highest end of audio,i'm talking 25k for a set of two speakers,still only 2 way.if you are going to go up to a 3 or 4 way,it would be a 6x9 and that is useless in the g8 anyway.the crossover frequencies for a 6.5" speaker are well within the range of highs to SOME bass.I say that because you really need atleast an 8"woofer to get some sub frequencies.

Its not how fast it goes or how shiny it looks,its how you drive it!!!!!

so far...
35% tint all around
hood rock chip protector
GXP diffuser
smoked corner and tail signals
vinyl trunk mat
under dash and seat red LED's
Vararam & HSRK
Solo performance axle-backs
Kaltech 93 tune
Red caliper paint
Sony X-plode amp
Infinity 10' subs-custom spare well encl.(built by me!)
Infinity 2 way 6.5 door speakers
MTX re-Q
333rwhp/340rwtq (mustang dyno)
other miscl. goodies...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page