speaker choices - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Have Bar Will Travel

speaker choices

OK trying to pin down a set of speakers.

Set 1: JBL P660C 6-1/2" 2-way Power Series Component Speakers System for the fronts. Maybe even a set for the rear doors, with tweet mounts supposedly 2 ohm.

Set 2: Infinity Kappa 60.9 component speakers. Probably again, 2 sets or a set of the coaxs for the rear doors. either way really.

Set 3: Polks that everyone seems to love.

Open to other suggestions. I think I can get the cross overs to fit in the doors panels. I did that on previous cars. and I think I will mat the doors when I do the install.

If Guns kill People, then Spoons cause Diabetes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 07:49 AM

cant go wrong with any of those. wouldn't waste any money on components for the rear though. coaxials sound great and you'd have drill holes and all sorts of stuff for tweeters. there's a reason cars dont come with tweeters in the back anyhow. screws up the imaging.

2009.5 G8GT Premium OnyxRed Interior
corsa catback, vararam intake, cortex tune
custom audio, sharksfin, HIDs, LED Fogs, 20" MRR GT1's
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Have Bar Will Travel

if you mount Co-axial, you just mounted tweeters in the back too.

Might as well get some quality ones.

I see a lot of component kits now, have over the woofer mounts for the tweets. I was thinking about trying that out, not sure it will fit. and if it didn't, then I would grab some co-axes.

or consider mounting the tweets in the rear deck. just curious. Those P660's come with a over woofer mount which is where I got the idea.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Prospector

should sound good
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Have Bar Will Travel

what are people using for sound deadening? I was just going to do the doors.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Its Good To Be Tha King

I like my Infinity Kappa 62.9i speakers with the tweeter diminished.

Trigger - Fully Loaded 2008 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/
Adams/OBX/Nitto
PRAISE THE LOWERED

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 09:11 AM

Garage
My Polk DB651's have tweeters that can be directed. I used them front and rear on the factory power. I had to go on the cheap side of upgrades. (I may do an amp later) I used Dynomat on the doors and rear deck and behind the seat. I also used expanding foam to seal up some of the other weird openings to the trunk, just leaving the vent around the back deck. Amazon sells speakers and Dynomat pretty cheap, FYI...

Bryan - Mesquite, TX
2009.5 Panther Black G8 GT
Premium with Sport Package with Sunroof
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 09:17 AM

Are the Polks DB651's being used in the front and rear doors? Are these 2 or 4ohm? What are people using in the rear deck.

At this point (2 years, 8 months, 66,000 miles) my stereo sounds not much better than my stock 98 ford ranger haha, rattly and tinny and all that.

I wanna just replace the front doors w/ nice 2/3 way coaxials I guess, the rears w/ something better than stock (which I suppose is anything), and maybe some type of deck mounted sub w/ a small amp for the back

'08 GT sport/premium, tints 20/35, 18" TSW nogaros w/ bridgestone blizzak winter, 19" sport oem w/ hankook evo summer, Philips crystalvision bulbs, debadged, Vararam OTR, JBA 1-3/4" LT's, ported TB, MF axlebacks, MF X-pipe, DBA-powerslot brakes, russel SS lines, hawk ceramic pads, GXP shocks/struts, lovells poly strut mounts, Slowhawk Tuned 344/356

Gone -'04 GTO A4 2.5" custom exhaust, sweet thunder muffs, H pipe, Z06 heads, Baer brake it, 20% tints, torrid red, AEM brute force intake, tuned
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napalm View Post
if you mount Co-axial, you just mounted tweeters in the back too.

Might as well get some quality ones.

I see a lot of component kits now, have over the woofer mounts for the tweets. I was thinking about trying that out, not sure it will fit. and if it didn't, then I would grab some co-axes.

or consider mounting the tweets in the rear deck. just curious. Those P660's come with a over woofer mount which is where I got the idea.
this is true, but sit in your back seat now and let me know how much you can really hear from the doors. the majority still comes from the front. the coaxials are more than enough imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonf4$ View Post
Are the Polks DB651's being used in the front and rear doors? Are these 2 or 4ohm? What are people using in the rear deck.

At this point (2 years, 8 months, 66,000 miles) my stereo sounds not much better than my stock 98 ford ranger haha, rattly and tinny and all that.

I wanna just replace the front doors w/ nice 2/3 way coaxials I guess, the rears w/ something better than stock (which I suppose is anything), and maybe some type of deck mounted sub w/ a small amp for the back
db651's are 4ohm. most just use them for the rear and the 6501 components up front, but you could put coaxials up front and disable the stock tweeters, but i would go full components up front. you will not be disappointed.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Capital City G8 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belo View Post
this is true, but sit in your back seat now and let me know how much you can really hear from the doors. the majority still comes from the front. the coaxials are more than enough imo.

db651's are 4ohm. most just use them for the rear and the 6501 components up front, but you could put coaxials up front and disable the stock tweeters, but i would go full components up front. you will not be disappointed.
I have the db651s in all the doors. With a Alpine 4 chan, Alpine mono 500W with a alpine E10 in the trunk. With the 4 chan all you need to do is adjust the crossovers and levels to set the output you like from the rears. I sit in the back and it is just as loud from the back as it is the front, thats the way I like it. Dynamat here as well. I am in the process of finding a good set of tweeters to go along with the db651s's. Anyone?

2009.5 G8 GXP SRM M6 : 1-61 (1465 of 1829 total) a.k.a Michele
Roto-Fab CAI;
FAST 102, Corsa Cat Back Exhaust; Kooks Mids, RPM Tune, 35-50 Tint; Custom Stereo, Pedders GSR's with Lowering Springs, Pedders Sway Bars, DBA 5000XS Front rotors, DBA 4000XS Rear Rotors, MGW Shifter, Kateck Twin Disc LS9 Clutch, Texas Speed Stage 2 229/236 Cam
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMAGXP View Post
I have the db651s in all the doors. With a Alpine 4 chan, Alpine mono 500W with a alpine E10 in the trunk. With the 4 chan all you need to do is adjust the crossovers and levels to set the output you like from the rears. I sit in the back and it is just as loud from the back as it is the front, thats the way I like it. Dynamat here as well. I am in the process of finding a good set of tweeters to go along with the db651s's. Anyone?
i have the 651's in the rear too. my issue was with putting the 6501's in the rear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page