Power trunk not working - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Question Power trunk not working

Hey guys,

I'm having issues with my trunk all of a sudden.

Pressing the button in the glove box doesn't pop the trunk.

When I press the trunk button on the key fob the car rear parking lights blink twice.

I can only open the trunk using the emergency pull from the rear centre opening.

I checked the (Power Trunk) F2 10A fuse and its ok.

Any ideas before I take it in for service?

Could be a dead power trunk motor but the 2 lights lead me to believe its a code telling me something else.

Help appreciated!

2009 G8 GT - MGM - 1SC Premium Pkg
Mods: E&G Classic 5pc S/S grilles, JHP VIM with backup camera, Holden V8 & trunk badge, 3M ClearBra, 35W 5000K HID headlights, LEDGlow interior floor lighting, Pioneer AVIC-F500BT Nav/Media/Bluetooth, Bass boost, L76 Gun metal oil cap, GM Sport Pedals---
(click here for more photos)

SOLD 12/27/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:17 PM

The lights always flass when popping the trunk. Sound like the motor went out. I have read on here that they are cheap/easy to replace.

Show: Tint 15% rear/35% sides, 6K HID's, LED Fogs, Autodim rearview, bass boost powered by KICKER & 2 JL 12's, debadged. Sharkfin, GXP Diffuser, 20x9 Chrome Camaro 20's, CTS-V Brembos, BMR Sways, In Dash NAV Kit, and Black and Blue Recaro Booster Seat.
Go: Kooks Mids, RotoFab, Pat G Tune
Wants:lots of em
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:24 PM
CCP

I had the same problem with my. It was a bad relay. It was replaced under warranty. I will look tonight to see if I still have the work order. Might give you some clues what to replace.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Garage
If not under warrantee and/or trying to fix yourself, you could try to drop the glovebox and test the two leads that goes into that switch. When you short them out (connect them together) it would normally pop the trunk, as you know. Make sure you do this WITHOUT the car being doors locked, the switch is dead when they're locked or when car is in motion, for obvious reasons.

Are your keyfob buttons also non-functional?

I would check the relays and maybe even also peel back the plastic and carpeting in the trunk to see what's up.

Good luck!

--zep

2009.1 ZEPCOM MGM G8 GT
Kooks LT's, SOLO HFC & Mach Unbalanced with J-pipes, SLP Tips.
Livernois tune, VCM, FE3's, full Holden blue gauges conversion, iphone on display. Daily Driver FTW
The ZEPCOM G8 was SOLO's test mule
www.youtube.com/zepcom

Bought 3/30/2009, retired 7/18/2017 at 136k miles, still strong. Been a great ride, she will be missed!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 05:34 PM

It uses relay R-5 in that same I/P fuse box. You could try a relay swap with another one in that panel, if you know its a match. If it works, decide what you would NOT like to work, until a replacement relay can be had. Which narrows it down, to not much of a choice. If no help, then the relay could be eliminated as a problem. Or you could remove the R-5 relay and jumper pins 30 an 87 which equals instant action, if the trunk actuator works, get a relay. If no help, you will need a new trunk actuator.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the quick replies.

Thanks especially to GOPHERIT for the great instructions!

It indeed was the R5 relay. I swapped it out with the DRL relay and the trunk popped.

Now have to head to the auto store for a new relay.

Thanks again everyone!

2009 G8 GT - MGM - 1SC Premium Pkg
Mods: E&G Classic 5pc S/S grilles, JHP VIM with backup camera, Holden V8 & trunk badge, 3M ClearBra, 35W 5000K HID headlights, LEDGlow interior floor lighting, Pioneer AVIC-F500BT Nav/Media/Bluetooth, Bass boost, L76 Gun metal oil cap, GM Sport Pedals---
(click here for more photos)

SOLD 12/27/2013
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 04:26 PM

Garage
Thanks GOPHERIT my trunk release relay went out today.

08 MGM GT RCR Tuned ported TB/Intake Kooks Lt 1 3/4 Vararam Beautiful powder coated OEM 18's Magnaflow exhaust Magnaflow 12468 X pipe Ran 13.03 @ 108 mph. GTO 17 s with 275/40/17 Mickey Thompson et street Drag Radials.
SLP Underdrive pulley25% 3.45 Rear gears Mighty Mouse Catch Can Little Lunati plus with Psi 1511 valves titanium retainers, Gmpp LS3 heads milled.030. Dyno at 442 hp 413tq.
PB 7.73 @ 94.5 (1.92 60FT) 11.91 @ 117.55 Stock Stall!

99 LS1 Z28 6M 300HP 323TQ-Sold

15 Q50 S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page