Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Orssom CAI

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  rockinlespaul 
#1 ·
Has anyone used one of these on their V6 G8? It looks to be the only real ram air intake system out there for the V6 but it's pricey.

Wondering if it's worth the extra money. I was also thinking it probably wouldn't be too hard to rig up a ram air system.

There is always K&N I suppose, but that's not a ram air type system.

Also, one other question. Which filter is best? Dry or oiled? What are the differences and benefits to one over the other? Thanks!

#3 ·
Yep. Its an OTR intake. Over the radiator. Same as the VCM which is also popular here. The company claims high 20s for a gain and i have been skeptical about the claims as well. I have been told by another more knowledgeable member here who had it. That realistically its probably around 15. Which I dont think you'd feel, no matter what the mod. After 30 i think you would. Im happy with this intake.

#5 ·
Ok here it is ,I pulled up the Dyno sheets on my GXP to see what the Orssom Did for me. My A6 GXP made 328 HP and 331 TQ bone stock .after the Orssom only , it made 361 HP and 359 TQ , a gain of 33 HP and 28 TQ ,same Dyno ( DynoJet ) ,same tank of gas (93) ,consecutive days ,approx 80degs . I would expect the same from any CAI. This was with no tune but I did reset the computer so the car would relearn its fuel trims. Your V6 will vary of course but my experience with the Orssom is great,for reference I have also had a Vararam and a Roto Fab

#11 ·
Wow, that's a decent gain in hp! Thanks, I appreciate your input!

#6 ·
Nice. I'm surprised at the results but cool. I have mine tuned but never had dyno tests done. People seem to debate dyno results, so I never bothered. Just an all around ass in my seat feel is the way I've been determining how happy I am with everything I've done.

Dan Linnet. An old member from hear. Who had the record for fastest g8 is how i learned about this intake and he said his track results were around 15 horses. He said that's the best way to test. But I sometimes read track tests get debated. So idk. I'd be content with 15 but if its higher than sweet! : )

#8 ·
Roto-Fab makes a cold air intake for the G8 V6 similar to the K&N system. Better depends on who you ask. Oiled media filters require periodic re-oiling and an over application of the oil could potentially damage the mass air flow sensor. However, this probability is low since oil is only applied to the outside of the filter. The K&N recharge oil comes in both a spray can and squeeze bottle. Prefer the aerosol can. On the other hand, the dry filter doesn't require re-oiling and is more convenient to maintain i.e. either vacuum and reinstall or wash and dry.

#9 ·
Yes, I have been looking at both of those but if I could get somewhat of a true ram air, I think I would prefer that.

I thought of making my own because ideally I would have it split and up each end of the radiator. Finding the right pieces will take time though so I will go with one of the 3 until then.

#10 ·
I also think I would prefer a dry filter over oiled.

#13 ·
After much research and thought, I think I will go with the Vararam OTR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.