Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com (https://www.g8board.com/forums/)
-   The Chevrolet SS (https://www.g8board.com/forums/166-chevrolet-ss/)
-   -   Was Looking at G8 GXP but Now Looking at SS (https://www.g8board.com/forums/166-chevrolet-ss/283693-looking-g8-gxp-but-now-looking-ss.html)

G8GTLVR 04-25-2019 04:58 PM

Was Looking at G8 GXP but Now Looking at SS
 
I was thinking of getting a G8 GXP but have been seriously considering an SS instead.

I prefer the styling of the G8 but the updated technology of the SS is swaying me.

Any thoughts?

MGMGXP 04-25-2019 05:31 PM

A nice GXP is mid $20's and a nice SS is @ $10k more, right? I agree with your assessment of styling and tech. If I were buying now I would go SS. Debadge and black out the chrome. Resist the temptation to put ghey Holden lions all over it.

G8GTLVR 04-25-2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGMGXP (Post 3677637)
A nice GXP is mid $20's and a nice SS is @ $10k more, right? I agree with your assessment of styling and tech. If I were buying now I would go SS. Debadge and black out the chrome. Resist the temptation to put ghey Holden lions all over it.

The Magnetic ride feature and heads up display are the two options that I am really attracted to. Have all electric seats and seat memory features also are very desireable. Lane departure, back up camera, parking assist and everything else I don't really care about. The seats in the SS do look a bit nicer.

Yeah, I think I will go with the SS. I have seen a Holden conversion driving around once and it didn't look too bad. I honestly don't see the point as most people think an SS is just another Chevy Malibu and no one would know what the heck a Holden is.

L78steve 04-25-2019 07:12 PM

I test drove the SS and with all the fluff it is a nice ride. But i just didn't like the looks. To me it looks like a Malibu.
The G8 stands out and runs just as good as the SS at a better price.

BAS G8 04-25-2019 08:43 PM

I agree with buying the SS.
Like we're all on this board because we are die hard G8 owners but at the end of the day we're driving a 10 year old platform that with the exception of most GXP's are declining in value.
Then the parts, some parts are not even available anymore.
Don't get me wrong I still have a man crush on my G8 but if something happened tomorrow I'm moving on, reluctantly, from the G8....unless its a deal that just knocks my socks off....and even then I'd probably kick myself for not being pragmatic and moving on.
I agree with the looks thing, to me it resembles a Malibu which I could live with until somebody said "Nice Malibu". UGH!!!!
This is a moot point for me, as most of you know the SS wasn't available up here in the sticks.
My opinion FWIW.

gmpontiacguy 04-26-2019 06:42 AM

ss is def a better option newer car better tech features no way you going to find gxp for $25 k with less them 80 k miles. As for SS you can find a low miles one for around $30k. I have both 09 gt and 14 ss and i do love the g8 but SS is just superior car there a few members on hear that have both cars and they will tell you the same.

MIEngineer 04-26-2019 07:43 AM

I have both, and they are not the same car

But with GXP values the SS is a great car for not much more money

You want a 2015+ for the MR suspension and visually - the rear brembos, first year of the manual, and different rear valance panel [14 was textured]

The 16/17 have the updated front clip, hood vents, bimodal, and the wheel change

If you want an auto, just like the GXP, expect to pay less.

But I enjoy driving my wifes A6 SS as much as my M6 SS anyway.

gmpontiacguy 04-26-2019 07:53 AM

MIEngineer you have the gxp too ?

GXPaycheck 04-27-2019 12:55 PM

I have both. You would have to drive both to see what you think. The SS is newer and will have more support. GXP is more collectible.

froderick 04-27-2019 07:56 PM

with the SS being discontinue, wouldnt parts be as difficult to find for that too?

i have thought about upgrading to an SS someday, but i would like to stay away from replacement part availability issues

RobH 04-28-2019 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froderick (Post 3677785)
with the SS being discontinue, wouldnt parts be as difficult to find for that too?

i have thought about upgrading to an SS someday, but i would like to stay away from replacement part availability issues

Eventually, yes. GM has an obligation to support their cars for a certain period of time after their production and sale. In the past, I've read eight years and more recently I've read ten years. So parts support for a 2013-2017 model should be available until later in time than for a 2008-2009 model car.

For things that are still in use or produced in large numbers, like the SL80 automatic transmission, industry support will be around for a long time. Body parts for a limited production vehicle, not so much. When GM no longer has a desired part, the salvage yards and Car-Part.com become one's friend.

According to Wikipedia, 28,159 G8's and 12,860 SS's were sold in the US. So there might be more G8's in the salvage yards. Also, a lot of G8 mechanical parts were shared with comparable year Camaro's.

GXPaycheck 04-28-2019 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobH (Post 3677805)
Eventually, yes. GM has an obligation to support their cars for a certain period of time after their production and sale. In the past, I've read eight years and more recently I've read ten years. So parts support for a 2013-2017 model should be available until later in time than for a 2008-2009 model car.

For things that are still in use or produced in large numbers, like the SL80 automatic transmission, industry support will be around for a long time. Body parts for a limited production vehicle, not so much. When GM no longer has a desired part, the salvage yards and Car-Part.com become one's friend.

According to Wikipedia, 28,159 G8's and 12,860 SS's were sold in the US. So there might be more G8's in the salvage yards. Also, a lot of G8 mechanical parts were shared with comparable year Camaro's.

I believe the total G8 production was around 48,000 total between sedans, GTs, and GXPs. More made than SS’S.

Edit! https://g8nation.com/showthread.php?t=7861
Don’t know if those numbers include Canadian cars.

camoeto 04-30-2019 01:31 PM

One thing you have to keep in mind if looking for a manual car - the Tremec TR-6060 in the SS shifts much smoother than the unit in the GXP, which is pretty clunky. I would get the SS just for this reason, the improvement in shifting action is very noticeable.

GXPaycheck 04-30-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camoeto (Post 3678021)
One thing you have to keep in mind if looking for a manual car - the Tremec TR-6060 in the SS shifts much smoother than the unit in the GXP, which is pretty clunky. I would get the SS just for this reason, the improvement in shifting action is very noticeable.


Older Tremecs didn't have the newer syncros.

GXP25 04-30-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GXPaycheck (Post 3678027)
Older Tremecs didn't have the newer syncros.

Can they be retrofitted into a GXP?

GXPaycheck 05-01-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GXP25 (Post 3678033)
Can they be retrofitted into a GXP?

You can purchase the new ones and have them installed. I was going to ship mine to Tick Performance and have them do a full rebuild.

MGMGXP 05-01-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GXPaycheck (Post 3678139)
You can purchase the new ones and have them installed. I was going to ship mine to Tick Performance and have them do a full rebuild.

RKT Performance | Corvette and LS Performance Parts & Installation | Frederick, Maryland

G8GTLVR 05-01-2019 04:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So I decided to get the SS. Just too many improvements over the previous G8 GXP. I got the auto trans. My other car is a 2011 Corvette Grand Sport with the manual trans so I am covered there.

Car has the full size spare and sunroof.

I have on order the VCM OTR intake, splashguards, and a replacement cruise control button module ( the previous owner wore down the wheel significantly).

Probably going to do a Diablew tune as well and then I will enjoy the hell out of the car.

gmpontiacguy 05-02-2019 08:25 AM

16 or 17 ?

G8GTLVR 05-02-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmpontiacguy (Post 3678189)
16 or 17 ?

2016


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2007-2008, G8Board.com

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome