Pontiac G8 Forum banner

09 G8 Driver Seat Switch Installation

2K views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  Louj 
#1 ·
Hello out there. I need to install a new driver seat switch. I can't find any videos on this issue. Can anyone help? Thank you

#2 ·
They do show how to remove an replace the switch in the service manual, but you have to get that side trim panel off first. If you have not done that as of yet, maybe there's a video on removing that trim panel. After that, the switch adjuster lever has to be pry-ed off to allow you to remove an install the switch from the backside of that trim panel.

#7 ·
No issue. I thought the whiskey I am drinking was making me see double. ;)

#8 · (Edited)
They tell you to disconnect the battery power followed by removing the seat assembly. To me, I can't see the reason to do any of that. I think the trim panel can be removed by moving the seat as far forward an up as possible (unless impossible due to switch failure). If so, I think its still due-able, but harder. You then have to devise a tool(s) that can slide in behind that recessed recline knob, an carefully pry it outboard to disconnect it from the shaft its pressed onto. Then pull that aft end of the trim panel outwards to get it passed that recline shaft now visible. They show (in the drawing) that there are 3 retaining tangs that secure it to the seat frame assembly.( I think accessed from the bottom side of the trim panel). They tell you to press the 3 tangs "downward" and slide the trim panel towards the front of the seat frame assembly. May need an inspection type of mirror to see/verify the location an total actual count of those tangs to understand exactly what they are trying to have you do with them. If the panel disconnected itself from the seat rail, remove the trim panel "trying to not" stretch the power seat switch electrical harness. But I guess if the seat switch assy is history, you could be a little over aggressive an not feel guilty.
Seeing the back side of that trim panel should make for an easy understanding on how to R an R that switch assembly an its control lever. Hope this is understandable an works for you (if its still a to do project).

If you have a 4 way direction seat vs the 6 way that I have. you may have 2 levers vs my one lever that does it all (but is kind of annoying to me)

#15 ·
They tell you to disconnect the battery power followed by removing the seat assembly. To me, I can't see the reason to do any of that. I think the trim panel can be removed by moving the seat as far forward an up as possible (unless impossible due to switch failure). If so, I think its still due-able, but harder. You then have to devise a tool(s) that can slide in behind that recessed recline knob, an carefully pry it outboard to disconnect it from the shaft its pressed onto. Then pull that aft end of the trim panel outwards to get it passed that recline shaft now visible. They show (in the drawing) that there are 3 retaining tangs that secure it to the seat frame assembly.( I think accessed from the bottom side of the trim panel). They tell you to press the 3 tangs "downward" and slide the trim panel towards the front of the seat frame assembly. May need an inspection type of mirror to see/verify the location an total actual count of those tangs to understand exactly what they are trying to have you do with them. If the panel disconnected itself from the seat rail, remove the trim panel "trying to not" stretch the power seat switch electrical harness. But I guess if the seat switch assy is history, you could be a little over aggressive an not feel guilty.
Seeing the back side of that trim panel should make for an easy understanding on how to R an R that switch assembly an its control lever. Hope this is understandable an works for you (if its still a to do project).

If you have a 4 way direction seat vs the 6 way that I have. you may have 2 levers vs my one lever that does it all (but is kind of annoying to me)
Hey GOPHERIT just want to give you a heads up on the driver seat switch. PONYMAN sent illustrations on how to remove the seat trim panel to get to the switch. Well I installed the new used switch and it does the same movement as my old switch. Just back and fourth. So either the new used switch is bad or the seat motor is bad. Ill have to find out what`s bad.
Thanks again for your support. BTW I have a 6 way switch

#14 ·
Hey PONY MAN I followed these instructions and got the new used switch installed. Well, the switch I installed does the same movement as my old switch. Just moves back and fourth. Either the new old switch is bad or the seat motor is bad. Any suggestions? Thanks again for those instructions.

#17 ·
With the understanding that you do indeed have 6 way seats (to go along with that 6 way switch), can you see/feel the 3 motors located within the seat framework. I looked under my drivers seat an can see an feel 3 motors.
For sure the 6 way seat lever moves fore/aft for lateral control (which you say is ok). For vertical control, you "must" grab an rotate that lever up or down at the forward end to get any action. Doing that only raises or lowers the front of the seat pan which makes it feel like the aft part of the seat pan an back are moving in the opposite direction (weird feeling).). Moving the aft end of the lever up or down causes the aft portion of the seat pan to move up or down. That creates the opposite direction feeling of the seat back an front portion of the seat pan. I guess its supposed to be an improvement over a 4 way action. Its more action than I care for. If your just trying to lift the lever straight up or push it down (with no tilting action), you get nothing.

#18 ·
I could be wrong about how many positions my seat moves. I don't know if it is actually a 6 way switch. There's only 1 knob. Like I said earlier it only moves back and fourth. Not up and down. Is there only a 4 way switch? Sorry for the confusion. I don't know if it's suppose to tilt . I don't think so.

#23 ·
It's possible both 6-way switches are bad but would do additional troubleshooting. Read a programming issue could cause the whole module to not operate albeit it was either all or nothing. Could very well end up having to remove the seat...sigh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.