Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My M6 GXP is starting to make the dreaded "ticking" lifter noise at about 77k miles but I am thinking before I head to the shop I should run some seafoam (and maybe lucas oil treatment) through the system.

My plan of attack is as follows

1 Gas tank is almost empty so fill up with at least 93 octand and also put a full l bottle of seafoam in the tank. Run for a day (probably around 20 miles).
2 After cool down remove air intake and use a full bottle of Seafoam Spray into the intake. Run for a while and see the results.
3 Base on results of 1-2, put some marvel mystery oil into the oil and run the car for 4-5 days
4 Get the oil and filter changed

If anyone has any concerns about what I noted above, please reply. I love my M6 GXP and dont want to damage it but at the same time the only shop around here is a dealer that charges preposterous prices.

Dallaslavowner

·
F1rehawk
710 Posts
I would start by posting a video of the noise you are hearing, our valvetrains are quite noisy and some noises have been classified as normal.

I had a bit of noise coming from the engine compartment on a few occasions during a cold start. The noise would go away in about a minute. My mechanic recommended upgrading the oil filter to a pricier one with actual bypass valves and the noise has been much quieter since then.

I don't think seafoam would help with the issue but I could be wrong. It's basically an engine cleaner that removes carbon through the exhaust, nothing to do with bad lifters. I use it once a year before storing the car for summer and on older cars to clean up the injector/exhaust system.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I know my OCD has had me start cycling the starter in flood clear mode to prime the engine with oil before starting it. Mine will tick for about 5 seconds until the oil reaches them if I don't when the car sits. I would change your oil shortly after doing seafoam in the intake, it will dilute the oil. Doesn't sound like a terrible way to tackle it, but not sure it will change anything either.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
There's a lot of ticking in the engine bay.

If your exhaust manifold bolts have fallen out or are sheered off, your engine will make an audible ticking noise due to the exhaust leak.

The fuel injectors are also quite noisy. I recently replaced all 8 injectors with some used injectors (same part number) that I picked up back in 2014. These used injectors aren't as loud as the ones I took out (#2 misfiring with a higher impedance than the others; resistance measured on the others was higher than the used ones I put in).

·
Registered
498 Posts
I went through the effort of doing the full DOD delete and cam upgrade early this year to fix what I believed was a failing lifter. It ended up being the timing chain dampener that broke at some point and was rattling around in the front of the engine. Just figured I'd throw out another component that could potentially be making the noise you're hearing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There's no DOD in the LS3 so you shouldn't really have to concern yourself with lifter tick as much as with an L76 motor. Sounds to me like you just have typical LS motor piston slap. Start the car up cold and sometimes takes the oil pressure to build up in the engine. Totally normal stuff. If you plan on upgrading the cam and valvetrain, you should also consider upgrading the oil pump and that should alleviate the slap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
With respect to using mystery oil or any of that other crap, I personally wouldn't run anything other than the recommended weight oil. Before I would do anything, I would check the oil pressure..with a gauge. Is it a knock or a tick? Is it coming from the bottom or top of the engine? My engine always did a drum solo when I first start it...from day one. I actually complained to GM about it...they said it was normal. But you said this is all new.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is what I have done so far

1 - put a full can of seafoam into the tank along with a full tank of techron.
2 - Used a full can of seafoam spray in the intake (did get a bit of white smoke) and let it do a hot soak after driving for about 20 min
3 - Added 8 ounces of seafoam into the oil/crankcase.

So far I still hear the tick at start up but it does seem to be less pronounced.

I will be having the oil changed at 200 miles after the seafoam addition and we will see what happens after this. I will post video after everything is done.

·
Registered
100 Posts

2 - Used a full can of seafoam spray in the intake (did get a bit of white smoke) and let it do a hot soak after driving for about 20 min

So far I still hear the tick at start up but it does seem to be less pronounced.

I will be having the oil changed at 200 miles after the seafoam addition and we will see what happens after this. I will post video after everything is done.
Mine goes away after an oil change.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts

Have you looked at your exhaust manifold bolts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've started using Motor Flush before oil changes in our dozen vehicles. It hasn't hurt any of them, and has helped most run quieter than just changing the oil and filter has in the past. The VVT vehicles seem to benefit the most as far as performance goes.

·
F1rehawk
710 Posts
I usually do the full seafoam treatment once a year on vehicles with higher mileage, like my winter beater for example. Never felt the need to use it on my G8 as there is less than 40K on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
can anyone advise how to post video? What is the video size limit and what format do people use?

I used an iphone to record the noise but G8 board says the resulting video is too long. I suppose I could put it up on youtube and post a link but I would prefer to put it here.

CURRENT STATUS
09 GXP with M6 has lifter knock or rattle.
Did the full 3 part seafoam treatment (full 16 ounce can into the tank, spray into the intake and 8 ounces of seafoam into the oil). Ran the car for 130 miles, had oil changed to full synth. Mileage is 79750.

Ticking seemed to be less for a bit but has now returned at start up/after 2 hours cold. Usually lasts about 1-2 minutes until the engine warms.

I will wait for a bit warmer weather I guess the next step is inspect exhaust manifold bolts but I dont think thats the issue since the ticking/rattle goes away after a bit of time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wondering if it could possibly be piston slap. My friend has a 2011 Caprice that will do that after sitting for a while. I don't know if videos can be uploaded directly or just a link like from Youtube, someone else might be able to answer that.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
I will wait for a bit warmer weather I guess the next step is inspect exhaust manifold bolts but I dont think thats the issue since the ticking/rattle goes away after a bit of time.
That's exactly why I mentioned it.

The ticking will go away as the engine heats up and a seal is made which closes the exhaust leak/gap, thus making the ticking go away/quiet up.

Also look into testing your injectors and possibly replacing them. Getting access to a Tech 2 and inspecting your current real-time misfires could also show you if they have any issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine was ticking quite a bit as well and I know the lifters were just replaced not long ago by the P.O. I did the first oil change since I bought it and found a cheap no-name filter, not sure what kind of oil was in it. Fresh Mobil 1 and a Napa Gold filter and it's almost completely silent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts