Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the Yella Terra 1.85 rockers, 105# springs and 7.400 CM pushrods over the weekend. After driving it a few days , it is totally a worthwhile mod. Sure it is nowhere near the HP increase as a cam.
It does give the car way more Punch of the line, and it pulls harder.
It is also not an early Mod to be done either, or you will be disappointed. I did all my previous mods to remove restrictions.
The VCM intake, the free flowing MAF Screen. Shorty headers, Solo Cats and Mach Balanced cat back. All of these move the air in and out of the engine better. The car performed and sounded better. Now with the added lift it really woke the car up again. First was the exhaust tone. A Deeper tone, more than just louder. More torque. It pulls away from a stop smoother and faster. feels like lower gears were added.
Then on the road driving. Exhaust tone is more noticeable accelerating , just a quiet during cruise. WOT and part throttle acceleration is noticeable better. Cruising on the highway, the car's speed is more stable. The added lift improves the breathing and low rpm torque is better. For those still with AFM, there is no loss of mileage and maybe slightly better. the added torque means the car
won't slow down at the slightest hill. AFM stays engaged longer and
the instant mileage on the torque app is the same but more stable with less dips.
If you have done the usual mods like I had. you want more but don't want to give up any reliability or fuel mileage. Then this is the mod for you. You go from .470" lift to .510". So it is a small step down from even the LS2 cam. If you have stock cats and exhaust, you will be disappointed by this mod. the engines breathing has to be improved in and out for this mod to be effective. It is also something you can do in 1 day in your driveway. If you just can't do a cam, then this will help.

Reactions: pir4te

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I did this mod a while back before my Little Lunati cam upgrade. The 1.85s are a great mod and the car no longer falls off after 5500 RPM. I did gain a 1/2 sec with the new cam though so if you want to see a big change go with the cam.

·
Naturally as-pirated
360 Posts
Keeping a large base circle seems good for efficiency and longevity too. Having the 1.85s meant I was able to get 0.550" lift and close to 230° duration out of the stock base circle and of course keep AFM.
Easy to get decent lift, duration, low lobe wear, better springs and rods etc., and are well made vs say trunion mod(?!) comes with revised mount shaft and bushing for high rpm stability.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Keeping a large base circle seems good for efficiency and longevity too. Having the 1.85s meant I was able to get 0.550" lift and close to 230° duration out of the stock base circle and of course keep AFM.
Easy to get decent lift, duration, low lobe wear, better springs and rods etc., and are well made vs say trunion mod(?!) comes with revised mount shaft and bushing for high rpm stability.

I want to do the 1.85 rocker mod.
i have AFM cai SLP long tubes, axle backs and dyno tuned..made 335/352.

how difficult was it to get the valve train geometry correct..I see alot of people saying the 7.400 pushrods make noise and some say 7.42 worked perfectly.

Is there a rocker kit that comes with everything to install on stock cam L76?

what do you suggest.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First piece of bad news. There are no kits. Never will be. Stop looking for it to be specific for L76. You buy the rockers, pushrods and valve springs. If it’s for LS Gen IV with rectangular port heads. Your there. Our stock rockers and heads are used on LS3 and L92 motors too. That’s the beauty of the GM parts bin. We get to mix and match. My suggestions are in the other posts you are in on the same topic. They are a good mod, almost like having an LS2 cam. Not optimal but better.

·
Registered
149 Posts
First piece of bad news. There are no kits. Never will be. Stop looking for it to be specific for L76. You buy the rockers, pushrods and valve springs. If it’s for LS Gen IV with rectangular port heads. Your there. Our stock rockers and heads are used on LS3 and L92 motors too. That’s the beauty of the GM parts bin. We get to mix and match. My suggestions are in the other posts you are in on the same topic. They are a good mod, almost like having an LS2 cam. Not optimal but better.
good deal that's what I want..smaller than ls2 cam..mild but better than stock..my misses loves this car and i feel another 10-15hp and it will be good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts