Registered
2,268 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
...I'm also looking for some either some LTH's or a CAI/OTR intake. Wife has informed me I can only chose one right now, which should I do first? I would assume exhaust first would result in more noticeable gain over the intake.
The full benefits of the cold air intake or long tube headers can only be achieved through a tune although it's not absolutely necessary. Would purchase/install the headers now and cold air intake later.

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
Let them install the headers and ensure everything is aligned properly and not hitting the steering shaft. Could be advantageous to replace the motor mounts as well depending on their condition. The cold air intake is something that can be replaced rather easily in the driveway farther down the road. Suggest getting the more involved installations out of the way now. Obvioulsy, be prepared for incidental/unforseen expenses and best of fortune with the build.

Reactions: BAS G8

·
Registered
279 Posts
You're probably still going to want to put a stall converter in. I just did a DOD delete with a PatG custom spec cam over the winter and I still push the brakes quite a bit. It isn't bad but I'm planning to put a converter in once the snow goes away. My cam specs are 222/226 .600"/.600" 112 LSA.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You're probably still going to want to put a stall converter in. I just did a DOD delete with a PatG custom spec cam over the winter and I still push the brakes quite a bit. It isn't bad but I'm planning to put a converter in once the snow goes away. My cam specs are 222/226 .600"/.600" 112 LSA.
Close to mine (and the one PatG spec'd). I'm all for doing a converter eventually but for now, I've just dropped some significant coin on the DOD delete and cam. Kinda annoying how much extra work has to be done just to get rid of DOD when replacing the cam should be a cheap and quick job.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I hear ya. A good Circle D converter is nearly $1,000 plus a trans cooler for another $200-300 which added to the cost of a DOD delete makes for an expensive deal. I was never planning to do a stall converter and the car is definitely drivable with the cam I have in it, I've just done a lot of reading where people say that adding the stall converter makes it so much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Slight issue... I was looking at the ATI balancer and its a little more than I thought it would be from ATI. Not sure if can be found cheaper elsewhere. Then I decided to check Summit and found one of theirs for half the price BUT I live in Commifornia so they won't ship here. Not a huge deal as I have family in Arizona I can ship to and just go pick it up (6 hr drive) wooo. Same goes for most brand name LTH's. Great.

So if anyone wants to make my life easier and drop ship me some parts I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I guess it would be nice to be able to rev to a higher rpm at a light to launch faster but my cammed LS3 is really responsive from the 800 rpm (ish) idle. It does slightly pull on the convertor but Pat G was able so smooth it out a lot better than it was before.

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
Can the family in Arizona rebox (if necessary), consolidate and ship the parts to you in California? :unsure:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Convinced the wife that I "need" kooks LTH's. Now to convince her that I need a blower....I told her I'd let her drive it once and that it would be easier to install them once the engine is apart for the cam swap. probably didn't help sell it but hey, it worked.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I would not recommend the BTR stage 2 with stock converter. I had it with ZL1 converter and was not a big fan. Would only be worse with stock. CAN it be done yes, but your tune is going to have to be absolutely perfect, which is going to require someone familiar with G8's not just "LS and 6L80".

Aside from tuning issues, pushing on the brakes, etc... the BTR stage 2 feels like a pig at low RPM. It starts to breathe ~3500 rpm, so it's really best suited with a matching converter.

I remote tune my car. It's simple and as good or better than local since you can get someone familiar with G8s. For my current build I'm remote tuning during a dyno session. See if there's a shop near you that has experience doing that. At that point it's just like having your tuner in the seat next to you.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Just realized I made my post without realizing there was a 2nd page to this thread.... whoops. Nevertheless... those are my thoughts on the cam and tuning situation.

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
So headers now and the cold air intake later? Are you considering the over the radiator type or a different version air intake?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So headers now and the cold air intake later? Are you considering the over the radiator type or a different version air intake?
I was looking at the VCM OTR. It just looks like a better quality intake than the veraram.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I would not recommend the BTR stage 2 with stock converter. I had it with ZL1 converter and was not a big fan. Would only be worse with stock. CAN it be done yes, but your tune is going to have to be absolutely perfect, which is going to require someone familiar with G8's not just "LS and 6L80".

Aside from tuning issues, pushing on the brakes, etc... the BTR stage 2 feels like a pig at low RPM. It starts to breathe ~3500 rpm, so it's really best suited with a matching converter.

I remote tune my car. It's simple and as good or better than local since you can get someone familiar with G8s. For my current build I'm remote tuning during a dyno session. See if there's a shop near you that has experience doing that. At that point it's just like having your tuner in the seat next to you.
Appreciate the input. I'm not against remote tuning and it may be an option later down the road. I think for now I'm doing the local shop and later I'll probably end up either buying the hptuners or borrowing one from a friend who Is also considering buying it. I'm also not completely against changing the converter i would just prefer not to do it in my tiny 2 car garage. I'm more than capable enough to do it I and I probably will in the future. Either way, the car isn't daily driven so it will only be annoying to drive on weekends the cam pushing the brakes also gives me a reason to upgrade the fronts to brembos.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Brembos can come after the LSA - they will be easily justified then.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts